P1-R.12 RE Turbo SG Slide

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhomodel

Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying a .12 firefighter in the future and am looking around for buying stuff for it.

As for engines I've already seen some suggestions here but I.m not really sure what is a hot engine or not for this boat.

I have a total budget of about 300 euro for the boat so am kind on a budget enginewise.

Browsing E-bay I cam across a picco -R.12 RE Turbo SG Slide. Specifications are:

2.11ccm (.12)

Bohrung/Hub 13.8mm / 14.0mm

# ports 3+1 (3 in, 1 out)

rpm 3.600 - 41.500

carb 5.5mm Slide

piston CNC gefertigt, Silicium-alloy

rear exhaust

10.0mm SG-crank

plug Turbo

Most impressive in my eyes is the quoted hp number: 1,52

Another I came across had similar specifications, only difference it was called LRP Z.12 TEAM Motor.

Julius

Greets Julius :)

I would be very careful about any of the posted BHP #’s. Those numbers are developed using methods that are not typically reproducible in field conditions.

While this (and other Piccos) are a great motor, I know people having great results with the Ugo Rossi .12 Pixy and the Novarossi NS12 motors. …with the picco:..I would be concerned about a couple of things…finding one to purchase, and the availability of replacement parts. Picco Production has been focused on a completely new line of motors over the last few months which would make me even more concerned about the above.

The parts for the Rossi’s motors are readily available and the Pixy 5 port is pretty much the hottest in it's class right now.

KB

Last edited by a moderator:
izitbrokeyet? said:
Greets Julius :) I would be very careful about any of the posted BHP #’s.  Those numbers are developed using methods that are not typically reproducible in field conditions. 

While this (and other Piccos)  are a great motor, I know people having great results with the Ugo Rossi .12 Pixy and the Novarossi NS12 motors.  …with the picco:..I would be concerned about a couple of things…finding one to purchase, and the availability of replacement parts.    Picco Production has been focused on a completely new line of motors over the last few months which would make me even more concerned about the above. 

The parts for the Rossi’s motors are readily available and the Pixy 5 port is pretty much the hottest in it's class right now.

KB

79686[/snapback]

KB

The NS12 engine you found for me is perfect. One of the best i have seen. I got excited when i looked inside :D MyFF12 is getting closer. I have laminates all my structural and sheet timber with carbon fibre and its now very stiff. I will be racing this one in a round pond with a 6 inch brick wall around it so it needed to be tough.

Julius the Ff boats are easy to build and the instructions are very clear. A job well done by Tom

see ya

Dave

Two things that you mentioned are a pain for boaters, the SG crank and the slide carb. The carb isn't too bad but you'll have to fabricate some linkage for it. The SG crank has to be cut and the threads are too short to get a flywheel and flex cable collet threaded on far enough. I know this from others experience. This is why I've been using a rotary carb and fully threaded crank, less hassles.

Ron Olson said:
Two things that you mentioned are a pain for boaters, the SG crank and the slide carb. The carb isn't too bad but you'll have to fabricate some linkage for it. The SG crank has to be cut and the threads are too short to get a flywheel and flex cable collet threaded on far enough. I know this from others experience. This is why I've been using a rotary carb and fully threaded crank, less hassles.
79742[/snapback]

Just not the threaded Sirio crank <_<

Adam

Ron Olson said:
79742[/snapback]

i completely agree with Ron and KB. right now if i wanted a real fast small block engine id get the OS 18 it can be had with a rotary carb and threaded crank. if .18 is not allowed id look for some nova rossi type or engine.

Why not the threaded Sirio crank? I was thinking about getting one.

Just not the threaded Sirio crank <_<

Adam

79745[/snapback]

That new OS .18 Rear Exhaust is going to be a killer engine for the sport running group. Price is bound to come down and with tower rebates that should take another $20 off.

I have not seen the RCCA Dyno run for this engine -Has anyone seen more specific info on this engine? Any testimonials out there?

Oh, yea Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to the gang.

Can someone post a photo of a linkage set up on a 12 rigger with slide valve carb?

KB, When you talk about the Black Pixy, are you refering to in a boat or car? I have been thinking about that engine for some time but keep hearing comments about bearing problems. :unsure: I'd almost buy one just for its good looks! :lol:

Thanks,

Don ;)

Don Templeton said:
Can someone post a photo of a linkage set up on a 12 rigger with slide valve carb?
KB, When you talk about the Black Pixy, are you refering to in a boat or car? I have been thinking about that engine for some time but keep hearing comments about bearing problems.  :unsure: I'd almost buy one just for its good looks!  :lol:  

Thanks,

Don  ;)

79771[/snapback]

Don,

I’m referring to results in 1/10th On-road applications . I speak with folks on regular bases that are in the upper echelon of racing in this class. About the Rossi Bearings: I’m not surprised to hear about any bearing issues in this class. Rossi and all of it’s brand names like Serio, Ral, Axe, etc are notorious for being plagued with bearing problems. Fortunately, good bearings for that motor are not expensive and are available through Ron at Racecraft. Bearings are popping up as being a problem in several motors recently……I’ve even gotten to the point where I don’t use the Novarossi 607 bearings in any of my .21 motors any more. There are significant performance advantages that can be found by having the right set of bearings.

There are several motors out there that I’ve seen recommended… Honestly, I would only consider the Rossi / Novarossis that I’ve recommended based on what I know about the motors, who’s using what in which application and who’s winning. One of the key issues for these motors is they are designed for High RPM On-road racing, not as all around good motors or Off-road torque motors. Out of the box they will run hard and don’t need any coaxing or Mods. Many of the motors in the .12-.18 class are developed for low cost, ease of use, easy starting, low-end torque…none of which are really desirable for a rigger…..x-cept maybe the cost thing in my book.

I usually don’t post when I see people buying motors that are buggy motors to put in boats. I suppose it’s ok for some folks that are just starting out and may need an easy starting, dependable, even-tempered motor that’s capable of doing lots of fun Put-Put milling while lugging a big prop. I personally prefer the motor that’s built to squeeel :)

oh yea...almost forgot the NR and the Pixi are available with a threaded output shaft onthe crank.

Thanks KB,

That's the info I was looking for.

Now, has anyone got a picture of the linkage set up for a slide valve carb in a 12 rigger?

Don ;)

Look in Eric Perez's gallery. I think he has one on a 12 cat. You could also use a cable like an airplane. That might work better. I'm going to try that first.

Any ideas on that comment about not using the Sirio threaded crank engine?

I was just about to buy one...

Don Templeton said:
Thanks KB,That's the info I was looking for.

Now, has anyone got a picture of the linkage set up for a slide valve carb in a 12 rigger?

Don  ;)

79808[/snapback]

Don, I don't have any pix of a slide carb setup but it's relatively easy to do. you'll need some ball-links and you can use a spare 4-point servo arm or plane bellcranks to do it.. Mount the arm or bellcrank up near the carb, level if possible and run one small linkage to the carb and then a wore to the servo as you'd normally do to the other part of the arm. I probably didn't word this quite right but you may get the idea.

the concept of a bell crank is simple...... but in practice it is hard to do in a rigger because the tub is not wide enough. I think you would be better off trying a cable. i've tried the bell crank idea..... i never got it to work right.

Thanks guys,

I don't think I want to mess with a slide valve. I like things a little more straight forward as far as linkage.

Would Rossi or NR have a rotary carb that might fit thier better 12s or is there any other possibility to find a rotary carb that would fit either of these?

Me Again :huh:

Don Templeton said:
Thanks guys,
I don't think I want to mess with a slide valve. I like things a little more straight forward as far as linkage.

Would Rossi or NR have a rotary carb that might fit thier better 12s or is there any other  possibility to find a rotary carb that would fit either of these?

Me Again  :huh:

79820[/snapback]

Hi Don,

I have a NIP SIRIO .15 rotary carb I could part with. Works great and will fit all those ultra hot .12 to .15 engines (I think .18 stuff also). Standard 12 mm neck & big 6 mm bore. 2-needles carb. PM me if interested!

Helge

View attachment 3745

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try finding a nr then, the picco's are just easier to obtain here then the Nova Rossi's. The OS Tom posted about should also be relatively easy to get.

Julius

Don,

I have a New NR 6mm rotary carb that I will send you....If you end up with a NR or a Rossi, drop me a line with your address and I'll get it out to you.

KB

Don Templeton said:
Thanks guys,

Would Rossi or NR have a rotary carb that might fit thier better 12s or is there any other  possibility to find a rotary carb that would fit either of these?

Me Again  :huh:

79820[/snapback]

Picco and OS both make rotary carbs that can fit other engines I've had good luck with the picco rotary carb. On my FF12 I used a slide-carb with a special center-pull bellcrank linkage that was directly attached to the slider on the carb. It worked very well let me see if I can get a link of the photo.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...t=0&pos=0\

Like Tom said, nothing beats a regular rotary carb. Unless you mount the servo next to the engine in which case the slide works great...I've done this and in some hulls it works just fine.

Back