outboard riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about now, but outboard riggers seemed to be a NAMBA District 19 thing.

Back in the early 90's they had different weekend races for outboards IE: tunnels, mono's & riggers. Then weekends for inboards. I'm sure that has since changed??

The class is offered at the 2009 NAMBA Nats in Washington state, don't know if there will be enough entries to run the class, but usually enough guys dust thiers off to make a couple heats. The SoCal guys haven't had enough entries of OB hydros at thier races to make a class for the last couple years. Most districts will allow a class if you can drum up support with a few buddies (usually three boats to make a class), but lately even inboard 3.5 hydro has been strugglin'! The 3.5 outboard tunnel class seems alive and well in most districts. Hope you will come out and race something nitro! Rudy

if you're looking for a kit, contact joe monahon (sp?) at 707 specialities. he has the sundowner ob riggers. rudy is right, they seem to be a namba thing, mostly out west. here in impba d-12, we run all .21 hydros together, the fill the class - riggers, sport 20 & ob riggers. i say ob rigger, it would be allowed to run, but i may be the only one out there. finishing up a prather spitfire, will run it until i get my eagle sorted out. welcome back, & enjoy!

The NAMBA SAW record for O/B hydros was set at 81+ mph by Mike Bontoft with this boat.

Lohring Miller

The NAMBA SAW record for O/B hydros was set at 81+ mph by Mike Bontoft with this boat.
Lohring Miller
Jimmy Johnson made a 80+ MPH pass with his 7.5cc Tunnel but I think that Mike has the fastest Outboard ever recorded to date isn't that correct?

About the O/B hydro stuff, make sure to run the suggested prop. The plans call for a 1740. That is a great prop for the 3.5cc O/B hydro. Mark Sholund has gotten them for me in the past. Gary Pruesse has them, Monohan has them and a few others.

-Carl,

Last edited by a moderator:
When Mike was deciding to build this boat, he talked to me about what the rules were for outboard hydro. He was thinking of using a inboard motor for the boat. I told him he only had 2 rules to make it legal. An outboard motor is defined as a complete internal combustion power and propulsion unit that can be attatched to and removed from the hull as one unit. Also the outboard will be the single means of controlling the direction of the boat. So Mike went to work on a hindge motor bracket that removing 4 bolts and off the whole unit comes. It also has the skeg for steering built into the unit. He built the boat around this. This a not a new concept. Rod Geraghty built a outboard hydro that was similar. It looked just like any other regular hydro but the back of the boat had a big notch that came forward quite a ways. Rod built a unit the held the motor, pipe, cable, prop shaft, and skeg. It was hindged at the front of the notch. I think a lot of rules that we have are because of Rod. He was always trying to push the envolope.

Mike

BTW Yes this is the fastest outboard RC ever recorded. 81.59 MPH

A picture from behind???????????
ronald.
Very cool yup Rod is an innovator to be that you must push it to the edge. It always makes people say how the hell did he do that. Id also like to see the prop shaft bet its just a stub Awesome work guys

prather spitfires are alright o/b hydros, take some time to get them set up right, was to long for me and traded it

prather spitfires are alright o/b hydros, take some time to get them set up right, was to long for me and traded it
Yup! I love mine! Runs great with a slightly modded K&B, Gardner XXL Exhaust Throttle and a Lee Garcia Mini Marine pipe....Very fast and turns like it is on rails!!

-Kent

Back