outboard mufflers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Radz

Whats available out there that would work on an Irwin tuned pipe? It could be RTR or home built. Whats your plans for quieting down your outboard for next season?

Later!

Ed Radz

Ed

I do beleave that i may be sticking with a stock muffler on my K+Bs this year and lose the pipe. That way i do not have to worry about the noise thing. I did it in years past and i think its time to run my hulls that way again. I had just as much fun racing, set up this way. Becides if what most say is true (muff pipes could be slower) then all the better for the stock setup. One note. I doubt that muff pipes are really any slower...

Another thing. I will be keeping my piped VillainS1 ready to rock just in case. What the heck the thing does not owe me anything and it is kinda quick just the same. I will have to look in to quiteing it down some how. At this point i dont care how fast it is as long as the pipe is easy to tune.

Grim

Hi Guy's,

I would severly doubt that a muffled pipe is slower than stock. The difference between a muffled and unmuffled pipe is around 500RPM. Not a huge lot. A porperly desigend muffled pipe should not hurt performance much if at all and the social benefit of making an effort will repay any marginal loss in performance. Over time noise will become our No1 issue.

my $0.02

GT

I agree with GTR 100%.

It isn't a disadvantage at all - especially if everybody has to run one.

You got it right about the issue of keeping your neighbors happy with less noise. We just got our approval for 2 more years from the city counsel for use of our pond. They did not get any complaints about too much noise. Its just a matter of time before somebody complains. Just trying to be pro active.

JD, if you are out there, could you give me an idea on how you built your home brew muffler?

I got an Andy Brown quiet pipe on my D Mono. There was no loss of power, it was a gain! Andy Brown needs to look into O/B quiet pipes!

Later!

Ed Radz

Hey Guy's,

The voice of experience talkin here ;)

Muff that pup before ya splash it, or suffer the returns, stay in touch with your local city goverment and most of all be aware thats things can change in the wink of a eye :eek:

As far as loosing anything runnin a muff, The CF pipe I ran actually liked it better when the muff was on, little more mids I believe.

Ya all stay Cool, and catch ya later :D

Gene

I have had the opportunity to test the new Irwin Muffled pipes. This pipe is different from previous Irwin pipes with mufflers. I ran the 3.5 pipe on my CMB Greenhead LS and the 7.5 pipe on a Nelson 45. The performance of both pipes was excellent. The sound levels were below 94 dbs.

I have also had an opportunity to test the new Silver Bullit pipe from HTB Boats. This is an unmuffled pipe. It also provided excellent performance. However, it was louder than the Irwin Muffled Pipe.

It is possible to make a muffler from a film can or small aluminum can that attaches to the end of the stinger. I did an article on this for the magazine.

The core of the muffler is a brass tube that slips over the stinger. Holes are drilled in the core a little less than the length of the can. The end of the core is sealed with JB Weld. Holes are drilled into the ends of the can and the can is slipped over the core and J.B. Weld is used to glue the can to the core. The entrance end of the core is slotted to allow a small hose clamp to compress the brass tube and hold it on the end of the stinger.

Jerry Dunlap

FYI

Just for your information I did some nose testing years ago when i was flying airplanes and helies. I took a KB 61 and mounted a length of tubing to the stinger on the muffler. On to that I mounted a 6oz sulivan plastic tank. I drilled 8 1/8" holes in the sulivan tanks and flew the plane. It became much, much quieter. However there was still noise. Then i took two 10" props, extended the prop shaft so that I could fit to props on the hub and bolted both of them on, one in front of the other. The plane still flew well and you could NOT hear the thing in the air. NOT AT ALL.. Most of the noise was the one, 2 bladed prop. Crazy.

The tank muffler did not change the way the plane few at all. And it was much quieter.

Whats the moral of the story? Volume and lots of it in the after muffler.

Mike

I bought an unmuffled Irwin Pipe for my 7.5 OB from Bob Kensill a while back and sent it to Jim to have a muffler welded on. Cost me $15.00 and he paid for return shipping!

Kinda reminds me of my cold fusion experiments in Mom's kitchen, two eggs, one cup vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda in a balloon and tie the end, drop this into the middle of the mixture, pour slowlly into blender, attach long extension cord and set blender to High ;D Apply power to blender just as mother walks into kitchen, :eek: could not sit down for a couple days after that one :-[

Moral is: Dont be scared to experiment a little!!!!!!

Slide 8)

Hi Guy's,

For a muffler to be effective but not restrictive it needs to have a volume of 10 times capacity of motor and outlet from pipe in to muffler should be around 25% bigger than stinger area. Aim is to get gas to expand and slow down, change direction to make for quiet. Forgot outlet of muffler can be same area as stinger but should be at 90 degrees to stinger direction (pointing out the back on an OB pipe). Irwin & Cooper pipes do this for inboards by offsetting the outlet from the stinger. I thnk CVEC have probably done the most recent research on quiet power.

my $0.02

GT

Just got back from testing the Silver Bullit 21 Pipe attached to a CMB Red Head 21 and pushing my JD 7.5 WOF. The pipe does work well. However, it's a bit "raspy" sounding. After a couple of run with the pipe, I installed a plastic film can muffer I made this morning using J.B. Kwick Weld, and a brass tube center core. It probably took me 10 minutes to make the muffler. With the muffler attached to the stinger, the "raspy" noise was reduced. I had to reset the needle-valve, but the boat didn't seem to be any slower :) .

Quick, easy and cheap way to reduce noise.

J.D.

JD!

Did you build the plastic version using the same techniques you used with a metal film can? I take it the pipe never got hot enough to melt the plastic. I think I will try one in plastic. Metal film cans are hard to come by.

Later!

Ed Radz

Hi Guys,

I built all the tooling for the new Silver Bullet pipes an I also build a muffler canster for the new .21 SB Pipe. It is a

set up that bolts to to stinger does not hang off, low weight.

Please e-mail me if you are interested in a pipe or muffler.

I know that we are going to have to run some type of muffler in IMPBA next year. Grim I think the muff motors are faster. ;D

Thanks,

Tim

Precision Boats

[email protected]

707 specialties makes a small very lite muffler that effectivly quiets 7.5 motors. I am currently using one with a silver bullet pipe on my Nelson. This is the best combo that I have run. I made back to back runs at on of our races with the old Irwin nitro with a muffler added, the new Irwin muffled pipe, the silver bullet with no muffler and finally the silver bullet with a 707 muffler. The S.B./707 combo was the power/drivability winner hands down.

707 may make a smaller muffler as well, if not the 7.5 could easily be reduced to fit a 3.5 pipe.

Mark

Ed,

I've found on the 3.5 outboards I can get away using a plastic film can. However, a metal can is needed for 7.5 or 11cc OBs. A readily available metal can is the travel size shave cream canisters. I shorten them by cutting them in half and then pushing the the two halves together and sealing the seam with J.B. Weld.

J.D.

Back