Outboard Motor verses Inboard Motor that acts like an Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11 pages and more to come. I wish everyone would put this energy into just promoting outboard racing. Baxter if you had 5 of those enter a race on the West Coast and fill the class you do not have anymore would you protest them. Especially when they are not proven to be a bulletproof performance advantage. I am not a fan of this setup but I would not protest it. Theres probably a Zamboni firing up in Hell when I defend John Otto. I have seen and competed against this one and it is legal. Tunnel racing has bigger problems than this issue. Maybe it is time to address technical rules and I would support that. I hope we can corral Rons passion to get more racers off the "Keyboard" and actually go to races. Not directed at Baxter as all he can do is cling to the keyboard as tunnels evaporated in his area and if you live in the false sense of security that won't happen in any other area, well hide and watch.

my 2cents (I need to get back to important things like who to vote for Ricky Lake or JR)

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
11 pages and more to come. I wish everyone would put this energy into just promoting outboard racing. Baxter if you had 5 of those enter a race on the West Coast and fill the class you do not have anymore would you protest them. Especially when they are not proven to be a bulletproof performance advantage. I am not a fan of this setup but I would not protest it. Theres probably a Zamboni firing up in Hell when I defend John Otto. I have seen and competed against this one and it is legal. Tunnel racing has bigger problems than this issue. Maybe it is time to address technical rules and I would support that. I hope we can corral Rons passion to get more racers off the "Keyboard" and actually go to races. Not directed at Baxter as all he can do is cling to the keyboard as tunnels evaporated in his area and if you live in the false sense of security that won't happen in any other area, well hide and watch.

my 2cents (I need to get back to important things like who to vote for Ricky Lake or JR)

Mic
Mic as I stated in my last post that I would indeed race against the boat. But If someone was to protest it I would have to side with them. Yes I have to fly half way around the world to race tunnels, but I'd rather do that then turn to gas boats. A key board racer? not by far. I love tunnels and I love to talk tunnels so call it what you might. Will I protest it, I am the type of person that would run my tunnel in a I/B hydro race and take a few down, but thats just me......

Mic

Mic,

I understand how you feel and I respect that. You just want to race, and I respect that as well. I guess the biggest burning issue I have with this whole mess, is that most would rather sit idly by and watch this unfold and stay out of the fire, than protect the Outboard Classes. From the many calls and PM's I received, this has been brewing for over a year and way before my re-entry back into the hobby the first of the year. I for some crazy reason jumped into the hornets nest after seeing it in Charleston and not knowing any better..... :) That's ok, I have think skin and I can take it..... ;) It is very clear to everyone and has been for years the true definition of an outboard engine, but when the older true tunnel boaters have nothing definitive to say, then I should let it be.

I guess the powers on hand at the time when the IMPBA first put the rules down on paper didn't think about someone coming along and trying to challenge what all of us truly know, and that is the true definition of an outboard engine really is. If John would have tried this many years ago when K&B was the only manufacturer of outboards, I would have understood it much more than today when there are no less that 7 or 8 different people manufacturing outboard lower units. Use of these existing lower units would keep this class in a traditional light and more like the full-sized tunnels, and encourage others to keep experimenting with engine mods, pipes, fuel, and props to acquire a competitive edge. Just blatantly going out and trying to "play" on the rules and overlook the OBVIOUS rule to gain a competitive edge over everyone else with a contraption like this, will do more to hurt our hobby than help it. One would think John would gain much more out of beating his fellow boaters with setup and driving skills as he has in the past, rather than totally destroy what has traditionally been allowed as a definition of an OUTBOARD engine, but only he can answer that one. His comments about breaking cables may work with the Gas tunnel boaters, but not with the rest of the engine classes as there are many great lowers and engines to choose from. Now the guy that goes to the local hobby shop to purchase a OS Outboard engine as this is what we traditionally think of when we see them run on TV, is going to be really shocked when he ends up running against something like this.

I started this thread to get everyone's opinion on this setup and was hopeful many of the true tunnel boaters in our hobby would help convince John to simply go back to his bench and build a real outboard, and stop causing controversy and trying to get advantages over the many competitive tunnel drivers we have today by some crap as this. Just beat us the old fashioned way. Instead I ended up opening up a can of worms and personal feelings that may add to the problem rather than stop it. He may never figure out how to make it turn, but someone else will. For now, SAW records may fall.......

I will continue to monitor and post in this thread and I will follow the traditional way of working within the boundaries of the IMPBA and work with my Regional Director and District Director, to pose Outboard definitions in a way to protect the traditional Outboard Engine Classes, and put it to a vote. If the members of the IMPBA decide its time to move away from this tradition, I will do the same. Until then, lets all get out to the pond and race some boats and keep these designs out of the winners circle so maybe they will go away!!!........ :blink:

On another note, I am building two "sparkie" boats this Winter and will be looking to many of you FE seasoned vets for ideas as this is totally new ground for me. I will try to put more energy in the garage and less on the keyboard so Kris wont think I am trying to take over Julian's spot as the keyboard king!!!!....... ;)

I think this is a good time to lock her down. What wanted to be said has been said, somtimes multiple times. I think this has turned into a little too much of a John Otto bash instead of "hey lets clean up this loophole". John was not the first person to do this, as I have said. Obviously Shane was wanting to do something similar, so he wouldnt have been the last. I realize John may have been the most recent, especially who had any success with design, and thats likely why his name has been brought up so many times. Ron, if you still have issue with what and why John is running what he is, please take it up with him on another medium.

Ron, if you would like to start another thread that concerns your proposed rule changes and why, thats fine. But please do not bring any names into it.

Thanks to everyone.

~ James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back