outboard engines ve hydro engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Clark

Just getting back into boating. Been 20 yrs since I cut on outboard engines. Just curious how things have progressed and how much difference is there between the type of engines and their timing. Most of the engines I run were K&B outboards so I'm looking for how the timing can changed from the old days. Can you run hydro type engines on outboard tunnel hulls. I'm hoping someone can help me understand better. Thanks in advance and IW members have been the best.

Guess what I'm looking for is what people are doing to engines in a hydro vs engines on outboards. I have alot of old stuff to play with before spending alot of money on something new. What happened to the exhaust throttle people used to run. I don't seem many of those beign used. I see hydro's spinning big props compare to tunnels. Is all in the hull design to make them that much faster? I'm just looking for ideals from people to go faster cheaper. Have a nice day.

Bruce,

Get hold of Mike or Jeff Schindler they should be able to get you started. Buddy Benedict knows how to bet a lot of rpm out of a 67 K&B not sure about the 45s

If you got 20 year old 21 motors sell them on ebay. Buy a 21 OS and leave it alone except for the head shim. If you intend to run a k and B 45 8701 or 2 better load up on powerheads your gonna need them.......

Still wondering how much difference is there between hydro timing vs outboard timing. So Mike you like the 21 OS better than all the other motors out there. Wonder what Nova Rossi people would think. I'm still not familar with all the new stuff on the market for outboards. Seems like alot of people are adapting inboard engines to K&B lower unit as well. When the time is right you can bet I'll be running with the best of them.

Their has been 172 views and not a single engine biulder has said anything about outboard engine compared to hydro engines. I know there has been alot of new stuff on new engines compared to old K&B outboards. I have seen all types of turbo cranks and lot of window porting as well as skirt cut off pistons. What I haven't seen is where do you draw the line on timing numbers to get alot of RPM's. Applying all of that to a boat and prop is just as important to make it run fast. When the time is right I'll buy a new engine to start racing. Till then I'm doing alot of playing. Its just as much fun for now.

Bruce,

Hydro timings V's Outboard timings, your not comparing apples with apples here!..

regards Aaron

I know its not apples to apples but little engines and timing numbers could be. The type of boat, size of prop, % of nitro and boat set up has alot to do with it. With that said how different are the engines as timing goes. Are hydro engines really cut on more than outboards.

Bruce,

Sorry no one has answered you questions I think hydro or riggers usually have higher timming numbers than outboards but i really do not know what they are.

My PC just crashed so I lost all my links to other sites but Marty Davis has a site with infornation on it that might be helpful, maybe some one could post a link to it.

He has a software program that helps figure motor timings. I will look through the old posts to see what i can find

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

It is time for my annual Christmas sale of the Engine Analysis Software. For any serious nitro boater, this is a must have.

This year I am offering a package of the Engine Analysis Software plus the Squish Velocity Plugin for a total of $74.95. This is a regular priced package at $134.90.

This sale will let your Wife or Significant Other buy you something that you really want.

Use Promotion Code: C13 to get this discount.

The page with details about the software is located at: http://rcenginesnitro.com/

The direct link to the order page is located at: http://rcenginesnitro.com/eaporder.htm

Write to me with any questions: [email protected]

Marty Davis

Back