Ouch!! OS outboard price increase.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the value of the almighty $ has gone to "heck", it's not a surprise to see increases like this.
The Japanese Yen is doing no better than the US dollar and it's been that way for the past 10 years.
A year ago the rate of the $ vs Yen was over 120. In March it was below 100 and has now rebounded to 110. The Yen may also be doing poorly on the international scene, but it's obviously tracking different from the $.

I used the above rates to do a quick calculation. Assume something in Japan costs 36,000 Yen. A year ago that would equate to $300, right? In March that same something would have cost $360 and now it would be down to around $327. Fascinating how these prices are in the range of what the OS XM used to cost vs what it costs now, isn't it? ;)

Since the value of the almighty $ has gone to "heck", it's not a surprise to see increases like this.
The Japanese Yen is doing no better than the US dollar and it's been that way for the past 10 years.
A year ago the rate of the $ vs Yen was over 120. In March it was below 100 and has now rebounded to 110. The Yen may also be doing poorly on the international scene, but it's obviously tracking different from the $.

I used the above rates to do a quick calculation. Assume something in Japan costs 36,000 Yen. A year ago that would equate to $300, right? In March that same something would have cost $360 and now it would be down to around $327. Fascinating how these prices are in the range of what the OS XM used to cost vs what it costs now, isn't it? ;)
All that sounds great except for the fact that the OS Max .21xm sells for under ¥25,000 in Japan. And for the record that outboard Lists for ¥34,650. So a $50.00 increase in US Street price is a little high.

All that sounds great except for the fact that the OS Max .21xm sells for under ¥25,000 in Japan. And for the record that outboard Lists for ¥34,650. So a $50.00 increase in US Street price is a little high.
Thanks, you just confirmed EXACTLY what I was saying. Since Tower is a retail outlet of the importer, their prices can be informally viewed as "Retail". Converting the Japanese list price of ¥34,650 to $ yields $287.50 last summer and $345 when the rate bottomed out, a difference of $57.50. Looks like that $50 increase maps pretty darned close to the fluctuation of the $ vs the Yen.

I feel bad for you if you are paying Tower Hobbies "retail" which is actually full Japan MSRP when the Japanese suggested retail of the O.S. 21xm is ¥23,452.65 + 5% Japanese sales tax. I'll buy my OS engines from Futaba Sangyo direct and spend $10.00 on shipping while you pay "retail" from Tower Hobbies full Japanese retail all because Hobbico wants to make a buck. And just to be nice I will let you get the last word in here so you can feel good about yourself and the money you waste!

Have a nice day! ;)

I feel bad for you if you are paying Tower Hobbies "retail" which is actually full Japan MSRP when the Japanese suggested retail of the O.S. 21xm is ¥23,452.65 + 5% Japanese sales tax. I'll buy my OS engines from Futaba Sangyo direct and spend $10.00 on shipping while you pay "retail" from Tower Hobbies full Japanese retail all because Hobbico wants to make a buck. And just to be nice I will let you get the last word in here so you can feel good about yourself and the money you waste!
Have a nice day! ;)
I never said I pay full retail, that was just used to point out one of many possible reasons for the price increase. Of course Hobbico wants to make a buck, that's what business is all about. As far as getting in the last word, you've tried to say I was wrong several times now. Each time I showed that I was not wrong and that in fact your contradictions were wrong. After this, you decide to cop an attitude and flame me? Priceless!!!

Back