OT: Sound Deadening

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Knesek

I'm building a new pulpit for our church and I am looking for advice on what I can do to reduce the echo caused by the sound bouncing off the it's top. The current top is made of oak and the mic is mounted about 1 foot away from the service.

Any input would be great.

About the only thing I can think of that would still look good would be to inset a cork panel into the top.

Bob

you could line the inside with some of the mufflers that i ran last season! come to think of it they wern't quiet enough tho :lol:

If the problem is the echo, have a duck deliver the sermon. :blink:

Sorry Joe...that's all I had. It's been a long day.

Love ya. ;)

About the only thing I can think of that would still look good would be to inset a cork panel into the top.Bob
I've been thinking of cork as well. I'm also considering using 1/2 end grain balsa ply capped with red oak.

call you local car stereo shop and ask for a product called dynamat. It's not cheap but they will probably give you a small sample to try. That small sample will probably be more than enough. It is a rubberized self-adhesive product that car guys have been using for years.

Later,

Chris

call you local car stereo shop and ask for a product called dynamat. It's not cheap but they will probably give you a small sample to try. That small sample will probably be more than enough. It is a rubberized self-adhesive product that car guys have been using for years.
Later,

Chris
Yia is called Fatmat..

Later,

Chris
Yia is called Fatmat..
Just to clearify, this part is like a countertop. Dynamat isn't really going to be to appealling to look at on the surface and adding it underneath will not prevent the voice from bouncing off of the surface.

What about a clothe covered insert. You could make it removable for different types of material (felt.satin,etc.). You could make the insert flush with a wood framed top. Crude sketch below (5 minute job).

Pulpit.pdf

Attachments

• Pulpit.jpg
    Pulpit.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
What about a clothe covered insert. You could make it removable for different types of material (felt.satin,etc.). You could make the insert flush with a wood framed top. Crude sketch below (5 minute job).

Thanks Ray, I'll keep this in mind.

Back