OT Need to size a gas pipe for my new range

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
I bought a new gas range to replace the electric and need to size the pipe to it. I have a 1" near by and was going to run 1/2" to the range. I talk to a friend that thought it might be too small. Does anybody know where to find this info? If I add up all the total output of all the burners it comes to 70K BTU. Not sure I would need all that at one moment. I think 45K-50K would suffice. Any help is appreiated as the range show up on Sunday. Don't want to be without a range.

Mike

On my gas cooktop the fitting was 3/4" NPT. My gas line in hte crawl space (stubbed in when the house was built) was also 3/4" pipe. I ran a 5/8" flexible hook up to it. The range should have recommendations for plumbing in the manual. You can usually get a manual from the maker's web site.

Mike,

1/2" is fine, it will run a 100,000 BTU furnace with ease. Use a good quality

pipe dope.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Mike:

1/2 or even 3/8 flex gas line, the yellow ones, will work fine. Some utilities require an additional pressure regulator in addition to one on range. Don't use copper tubing!

I all ready checked out Sears for the info. Could not find anything other than the btu ratings for all the burners. I even called the kenmore service center with no help there. They just went to the same page I was all ready looking at. 1/2 is what I bought before I talk to my friend. I just have not installed it yet. Rather do it once instead of ripping it out later. Also want it in before sunday so I have no down time. I wll be on a jobsite with a gas fitter today. I will run it by him.

Thanks guys

Mike

I all ready checked out Sears for the info. Could not find anything other than the btu ratings for all the burners. I even called the kenmore service center with no help there. They just went to the same page I was all ready looking at. 1/2 is what I bought before I talk to my friend. I just have not installed it yet. Rather do it once instead of ripping it out later. Also want it in before sunday so I have no down time. I wll be on a jobsite with a gas fitter today. I will run it by him. Thanks guys

Mike
Mike, not questioning your skills, have a licensed plumber do the installation. God forbid any thing happens, your homeowners insurance could question the installation. Two major things I don't mess with in my house, GAS and ELECTRIC. Just MHO. ;) ;)

I work in the construction field. I am a commercial electrician. I fit rigid pipe for installs of electrical equipment all the time. The gas line is the same basic size other than it is black compared to my rigid conduit (using black pipe). I am confident there will be no issues. Just extending gas line 20' or so to the stove. I will be using a good quality dope. Thanks for your concern.

Mike

I too am in the construction field, gutted and redid my house years ago. Ran all the new wiring and home runs myself to save money also the gas black pipe to move the dryer upstairs. Still had someone that was licensed to do the final connections. Just covering my azz. Good luck with your project. B) B)

I work in the construction field. I am a commercial electrician. I fit rigid pipe for installs of electrical equipment all the time. The gas line is the same basic size other than it is black compared to my rigid conduit (using black pipe). I am confident there will be no issues. Just extending gas line 20' or so to the stove. I will be using a good quality dope. Thanks for your concern.Mike

Mike, DON"T DO IT man JUST DON"T DO IT, Step away from the gas pipe. I will need more turn fins and couplers in the near future. STEP AWAY FROM THE PIPE

Robert

Back