OT: NASCAR's COT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of the COT?

• Looks good to me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks ok

• Looks Ugly

• Total voters
Hey Joe, I know what you are saying about where the car is made and some of the reasons our automakers are trying to compete with these "foreign" car companies is out of the country. This is not a new concept. Ford and GM have been losing market share for years. Early 80's if I recall correctly. But will shipping more money out of the country help? They have to market/create a car people want to buy. Competively priced. Not a more expensive product they have carved all the reliability out of to make a profit. Doesn't make sense to me. Our designers over here do NOT develope crappy products. Our bean counters cheapen them up too much. But now consider last years car of the year? Do you know what it was? American made Chevrolet Impala. How bout now' ? Ford Fusion...Keep readin the papers. They will have everybody confused. Who had the largest recall of any automotive manufacturer? Not American....Haonda just had a huge recall, I believe about 6 million vehicles. Living around the Motor City you think that would be big news. No, back page mixed in with the comics....
Where will the worker pensions come from? (The ones already promised). Why should these companies not have to live up to their end of a contract.. Where do the profits from these vehicles go to? Back to the mother country. Not here. Are they reinvesting for our benefit?
I believe they should live up to their promises regarding pensions but not at my expense. The labor unions have painted the former Big 3 into a corner by negotiating pension plans that would bankrupt almost any company. Should I pay for their mistakes? No. If I asked you to pay for all of my mistakes through the products I sell you would think I'm crazy. Anyone that believes this is right better be running K&Bs exclusively.

On the other hand Toyota compensates their employees based on performance. As a result they offer a great product and pay their employees incredible bonuses.

It's no surprise that the Big 3 are going down the toilet. The last several GM products that I've owned were clunkers, the one currently sitting in my driveway is a lemon. I used to be a hard-core Chevy guy but I wouldn't be afraid to go out and buy "Japanese" made in America.

My father used to work on cars and trucks on the side so we always had something sitting in the driveway. One day while I was there he told me to take a drive in a Honda that he had just worked on. After I got back from a lap around the block, he said, "Now I'm seeing why people are buying these cars".

My father-in-law is a retiree from the local B-O-C plant (Buick-Old's-Cadillac) that was shut down, my brother-in-law is now at the Flint plant. I've heard stories of how hard they worked at that plant. Working about half the day then goofing off the other half or some of the employees driving down the street to the bar then coming back in time to punch out.

Yes, the Monte Carlo's are made in Mexico, the Fusion in Canada and who-knows-where the Dodge's are made. Their are imported parts galore on these cars. The Caravan's used to have Mitsubishi running gear under the hood.

The complainers don't seem to have a problem posting in here on their foreign-made computers though or watching their Japanese TV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an 06 Mustang because I love the body style. Turns out it is a good solid car too. Fact is it's 65% foreign. I think the V-6 engine that is under the hood is basically the same as the powerhead on the V-6 Yamaha outboard. Yamaha and Ford share a great deal of engine technology. Car runs like a scalded ape. Gets great mileage. Too bad it can't be made 100% here in the U.S. though. Big business is going the way the powerful people want it to. The only control (if you want to call it that) is your vote on election day. What we need in the White House is a common person not a politician. But that ain't happening.

it is in deed very sad to see. I have been bying GM vehicles since I was 17 years old until 2 years ago.

from 2000 to 2005 I replaced vehicles 3 times, not because I didn't like them, but because they were lemons.

Car repainted (because paint is coming off), fuel tanks, dash board, complete braking systems, wheel bearings (4 times on the same vehicle) the dealer was telling me it was normal??????

Well you know as much as I do that it is not normal to replace wheel bearings 4 times with only 20K on a car.

I would gladly go back to a good old american vehicle but the big 3's have got to bring their quality up and stand behind their product. 3 year waranty doesn't cut it anymore, not when the competition offers a factory 5 and 10 years bumper to bumper waranty.

There was a time when we were younger and looking at those foreign cars and saying japenese crap so on so forth, time have changed, did they catch up to us or did we get lazy?

[On the other hand Toyota compensates their employees based on performance. As a result they offer a great product and pay their employees incredible bonuses.

This is called 'Pay For Performance' and seriously rewards high performers in a company. It creates competition among personnel which promotes ideas and new ways of doing things. Unions would never tolerate this.

The last GM vehicle I owned (and I love GM styling) ended in 1992. Oil leaks and loose bolts in a vehicle less 3 years old....come on. I want to buy it, do routine maintenance and, drive it. Who gives a crap if it is under warranty, I don't want it to break.

Gosh, I just can't resist...

Ray, is buying an Italian motor different than buying a Japanese car?

Had to ask.

Mike

By the way, I have 3 Mopars and a Mercury in my driveway, they all run, and two of them have over 200,000 miles on them. Who says Americans can't build good cars?

Gosh, I just can't resist...
Ray, is buying an Italian motor different than buying a Japanese car?

Had to ask.

Mike
Mike,

Well, I can only guess that your question is relating to model boating, so my answer is yes, when its the only engine available with product support.

Apples to Oranges Mike, but then again, you knew that already.

I hate people that say foreign cars are better than american! I have owned both and by far my AMERICAN cars require less maintaince! By far my AMERICAN cars are more reliable. The last foreign car I owned would break the stupid spot welds if you hit too big of a pot hole! I had to put a bag over the distributor or it would not run if we had a tiny rain shower. Another one had the clutch go out with only 20,000 miles. Another would go through spark plugs like candy. AMERICANS build better cars. All my friends with foreign cars are always having them fixed. I have a buddy with a BMW trying to get it replaced by the lemon law. My AMERICAN cars never let me down! I have a 12 year old chevy caviler with over 100000 miles that has never needed anything more than brakes and a tune up.

Shark you sound like a Union Rep.
I believe they should live up to their promises regarding pensions but not at my expense. The labor unions have painted the former Big 3 into a corner by negotiating pension plans that would bankrupt almost any company. Should I pay for their mistakes?
Joe,

I may sound like a Union rep, but you sound like an uninformed boob. You say the Union s negotiated the big three into a corner with pension plans???

This is the typical conservative talk radio jibberish expressed by blowhards who cant resist attacking the american worker by blaming both the worker and the union responsible for creating a working enviroment that is beneficial to middle class americans.

The "pensions" are NOT the reason american companies are failing to sell cars... Dont be an idiot. The price of ANY american car is structured chock full of fat, it drives up the price of cars to a point where consumers no longer want to sacrifice quality for loyalty.

In the sticker price of a new car (Maroney Sticker) , it includes thousands of dollars of built in profit centers for the dealer. For example, The retail price of the car may be 35000, the invoice price may be 31200, the dealer tells the consumer that his cost is 31200, but it isnt. There is a dealer holdback incentive in the cost price that protects the dealer, there is an advertizing charge including in that cost, there is a flooring percentage that is built into the price, There is an area dealers charge included for local advertising, there is a percentage charge to the cost for units sold.. also included is the REBATE totals that the customer is told he/she is getting which is nothing more than the customer financing thier own money. When it is all said and done, the cost of the car should actually be around 26500.

Even if you cancelled every pension for every domestic auto worker, the cost of the cars and trucks would remain the same and they STILL wouldnt sell. However, its not the price of the cars that are preventing them from being sold. Consumers are paying 40K and 50K for imports all day long my friend so the price threshold isnt the problem. You need to take a closer look.

However, since the BIG THREE decided to try and cheat thier respective way out of union contracts by outsourcing to foreign countries, thier had a short run gain monetarily yet, in the long run PAINTED themsleves into a financial disaster because they failed to realize what would happen to the pension programs that were being funded by new american employees being hired. Once new american workers stopped being hired, the companies themsleves had to contribute the money without the benefit of an employee paying into the system. (1 dollar in 1 dollar out) Now it is heavily under funded and that funding had to be switched over to the cost of the cars directly (in the sticker price)

Let me give you an example: in 1980, their were 21 million working Teamsters in the USA, when a Teamster retired, there were 15 people contributing to the pension fund thru thier paychecks. As companies began outsourcing in the the REAGAN administration, pension programs began to fail. Today, there are 1.7 million working Teamsters in the USA and for every 3 retirees there are .50 employees contributing to the pension program.

Even you can figure out that while there are 20 million fewer Teamsters contributing, the future retirees may not realize thier pensions... But this is the problem in our country today. There are many americans on this board today who believe they have a pension coming, and when they retire, they may find that thier pensions have been sent to the PBGC and there 20 years of service to a company sold out from under them.

The only people "painting" anyone into a corner is an administration like the current one who is on a direct attack against the working middle class of this country.

Profits before people, or Trickle Down economics hurts the american woker. It failed under REAGAN and its failing today.

You want to blame anyone for the failures of the big three, blame the corporations. They use the crappy parts made in mexico, the alternators that are good for 24 months because FORD uses the cheapest wiring and components possible. Take a visit to an AC DELCO plant in JUAREZ mexico and see the wiring harnesses being constructed by illiterate mexican citizens and that harness ends up in your JIMMY and you burn up on the side of the road on a long trip and you dont have any understanding why?

How about those trannys that keep falling apart? Blame a canadian. The list goes on and on.... But you my friend, want to blame the union.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but if you buy imports,, then blame yourself.

Without the backing of the american public the big three are doomed to fail, some will have to merge with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi but then instead of Mopar, Gm & FOMOCO, youd better be ready for TRD, HRD & NISMO.

Everyone wants to take everyones pensions away at a sacrifice to the american worker and his family, then to top it off, those same people want to take social security away and medicare....what would be left?

The days of TWO CLASS America ended in 1895 MR JOE. The middle class was created and sustained by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and guys like you are not going to end it.

Indeed, you have a President who has done all he can to take American jobs and ship them overseas and replaced them with food service jobs who only hire the illegal worker who contribute nothing to the social security system... (1 dollar out 0 dollars in)

In fact, in the latest manufacturing statistics released by this administration, the manufacturing sector of this country is now 76% overseas.... it was 71% here in the states in 8 years under Bill Clinton.

This is a huge turn around and one which should alarm any american working in the manufacturing field. Companies like WALMART offer low prices, but those prices come at a cost. If you pitch a product to WALMART that you design, build or assemble here in the states, WALMART forces you to shut down your operation and move it to china. Yes, the owner benefits, but all those employees who helped make the products here in the states are now unemployed.

You call this capitalism. I call it the death of america. When we become so reliant on foreign countries to exist (BUSH HAS BORROWED 100's of billions from china) then this country is all but doomed to fail

As americans, we have an obligation to protect what is the right to have equity.

So JOE, do you have anything else you would like to discuss?

Peace.

WOW

Ray Garcia for President

I know were your coming from Ray

Even in the small hi performance industry I,m in over the last few year,s all the after market crank forgings are coming from China etc.

It,s sad but we are in such a deep hole now I don,t think we will ever get out

Henry

Shark you sound like a Union Rep.
I believe they should live up to their promises regarding pensions but not at my expense. The labor unions have painted the former Big 3 into a corner by negotiating pension plans that would bankrupt almost any company. Should I pay for their mistakes?
Joe,
I may sound like a Union rep, but you sound like an uninformed boob. You say the Union s negotiated the big three into a corner with pension plans???

This is the typical conservative talk radio jibberish expressed by blowhards who cant resist attacking the american worker by blaming both the worker and the union responsible for creating a working enviroment that is beneficial to middle class americans.

The "pensions" are NOT the reason american companies are failing to sell cars... Dont be an idiot. The price of ANY american car is structured chock full of fat, it drives up the price of cars to a point where consumers no longer want to sacrifice quality for loyalty.

In the sticker price of a new car (Maroney Sticker) , it includes thousands of dollars of built in profit centers for the dealer. For example, The retail price of the car may be 35000, the invoice price may be 31200, the dealer tells the consumer that his cost is 31200, but it isnt. There is a dealer holdback incentive in the cost price that protects the dealer, there is an advertizing charge including in that cost, there is a flooring percentage that is built into the price, There is an area dealers charge included for local advertising, there is a percentage charge to the cost for units sold.. also included is the REBATE totals that the customer is told he/she is getting which is nothing more than the customer financing thier own money. When it is all said and done, the cost of the car should actually be around 26500.

Even if you cancelled every pension for every domestic auto worker, the cost of the cars and trucks would remain the same and they STILL wouldnt sell. However, its not the price of the cars that are preventing them from being sold. Consumers are paying 40K and 50K for imports all day long my friend so the price threshold isnt the problem. You need to take a closer look.

However, since the BIG THREE decided to try and cheat thier respective way out of union contracts by outsourcing to foreign countries, thier had a short run gain monetarily yet, in the long run PAINTED themsleves into a financial disaster because they failed to realize what would happen to the pension programs that were being funded by new american employees being hired. Once new american workers stopped being hired, the companies themsleves had to contribute the money without the benefit of an employee paying into the system. (1 dollar in 1 dollar out) Now it is heavily under funded and that funding had to be switched over to the cost of the cars directly (in the sticker price)

Let me give you an example: in 1980, their were 21 million working Teamsters in the USA, when a Teamster retired, there were 15 people contributing to the pension fund thru thier paychecks. As companies began outsourcing in the the REAGAN administration, pension programs began to fail. Today, there are 1.7 million working Teamsters in the USA and for every 3 retirees there are .50 employees contributing to the pension program.

Even you can figure out that while there are 20 million fewer Teamsters contributing, the future retirees may not realize thier pensions... But this is the problem in our country today. There are many americans on this board today who believe they have a pension coming, and when they retire, they may find that thier pensions have been sent to the PBGC and there 20 years of service to a company sold out from under them.

The only people "painting" anyone into a corner is an administration like the current one who is on a direct attack against the working middle class of this country.

Profits before people, or Trickle Down economics hurts the american woker. It failed under REAGAN and its failing today.

You want to blame anyone for the failures of the big three, blame the corporations. They use the crappy parts made in mexico, the alternators that are good for 24 months because FORD uses the cheapest wiring and components possible. Take a visit to an AC DELCO plant in JUAREZ mexico and see the wiring harnesses being constructed by illiterate mexican citizens and that harness ends up in your JIMMY and you burn up on the side of the road on a long trip and you dont have any understanding why?

How about those trannys that keep falling apart? Blame a canadian. The list goes on and on.... But you my friend, want to blame the union.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but if you buy imports,, then blame yourself.

Without the backing of the american public the big three are doomed to fail, some will have to merge with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi but then instead of Mopar, Gm & FOMOCO, youd better be ready for TRD, HRD & NISMO.

Everyone wants to take everyones pensions away and a sacrifice to the american worker and his family, then to top it off, those same people want to take social security away and medicare....what would be left?

The days of TWO CLASS America ended in 1895 MR JOE. The middle class was created and sustained by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and guys like you are not going to end it.

Indeed, you have a President who has done all he can to take American jobs and ship them overseas and replaced them with food service jobs who only hire the illegal worker who contribute nothing to the social security system... (1 dollar out 0 dollars in)

In fact, in the latest manufacturing statistics released by this administration, the manufacturing sector of this country is now 76% overseas.... it was 71% here in the states in 8 years under Bill Clinton.

This is a huge turn around and one which should alarm any american working in the manufacturing field. Companies like WALMART offer low prices, but those prices come at a cost. If you pitch a product to WALMART that you design, build or assemble here in the states, WALMART forces you to shut down your operation and move it to china. Yes, the owner benefits, but all those employees who helped make the products here in the states are now unemployed.

You call this capitalism. I call it the death of america. When we become so reliant on foreign countries to exist (BUSH HAS BORROWED 100's of billions from china) then this country is all but doomed to fail

As americans, we have an obligation to protect what is the right to have equity.

So JOE, do you have anything else you would like to discuss?

Peace.
Yeah Well, I'm Only Hearing One Blowhard!

Yeah Well, I'm Only Hearing One Blowhard!
(Jerry Wyss)
Jerry,

If ya have anything to refute what I said then post it, if not, and all you have is a slam, well, I can respond in kind, you dictate the method to which I respond to you.

On one hand you tout suporting the american troops because they are americans, on the other, you fail to support the american worker who is the real soldier of american history.

I call you a hypocrite.

Shark you should go back and read a little closer. I've never said American workers can't build a good car. If you actually comprehended my note it points out that Toyota is making most of their vehicles in America by Americans. My point all along is that Toyota uses more Americans to build their products than GM.

Now this is just a question, I'm not picking sides-

Does the UAW have the same presence in the Toyota, Honda, etc. plants in the states as they do in the US auto manufacturers?

As far as I'm concerned there is fault on BOTH sides of the equation .........

You are out of control ReyRey. Don’t hurt’em. :eek:

You are either one of three things:

Lawyer... :angry:

Politician... :huh:

Political Talk show hoist.... :p

-Buck-

aka...not politically correct. :rolleyes:

I fall into the home mechanic catagory. I have a 1983 and 1990 Trans Am sitting in my front yard. The 83 has over 300,000 miles on it, the 90 has 135,000. I have literally worn the 83 out since it was only designed for about 150,000, but in doing so, it still has the original engine and a 1985 vintage tranny(the original died at 129,000). Both cars have had only the basic maintenance(waterpumps, alternators, hoses, tuneups, brakes and fluid/filter changes), yet, I've seen none of the problems I've been reading about on the Big Three products. Even my fiance's 99 supercharged Grand Prix(again at 95,000) hasn't had any real problems. Where is the lowering of quality from the Big Three?

Granted, Mopar has merged with Daimler/Benz, but I don't see any Mercedes coming out of the Mopar plants. I have also found that I cannot ride in a Japanese car. At over 6' tall, the seats just kill my back while the Pontiacs in my driveway don't. Must say something about the design of the Japanese seats, being designed for shorter people. Since the average height of the Japanese, Chinese and Korean person is under 5-10, why would they design something for a person over 6'. Sorry, but I can't buy any of their products, regardless of where it was made.

glad to see this stayed on topic...

Was wondering what could be so interesting about Nascar design to warrant so many replies... then I see the same **** stirring that is inevitable with a select few.

Heck, even the "off topics" get off topic...

~James "6'1" and love my Toyota Tacoma that was built in Baja California" Clegg

Back