OT: I did not need this!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper_chuck

Was driving home today after getting the tags for my trailer and a couple other things I needed. As I started to go through an intersection some chick in an old Jeep Cherokee decided to turn left in front of me. :angry: There was no time to do anything other than turn to the right a bit to minimize the impact. The only good news is we were both ok, although I've got some airbag rash on my left arm. The entire front end of my Sebring is destroyed. As the tow truck driver was getting ready to go he made a comment about this being my car's last ride. :huh:

This sucks. :wub: The car is paid for, gets great mileage, is comfortable, and has been well cared for. I hope he's wrong, OTOH, I don't want to be stuck with something that has issues due to such a strong impact.

I'll post some pics as soon as I finish downloading them from my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck that sucks, unfortunately with the unitized body they don't fix well. My daughter owned the convertable also, hers never ran right after the accident. Hope you have better luck. Bottom line is nobody is seriously hurt. Bummer :( :(

Chuck that sucks, unfortunately with the unitized body they don't fix well. My daughter owned the convertable also, hers never ran right after the accident. Hope you have better luck. Bottom line is nobody is seriously hurt. Bummer :( :(
Not running right is what I'm afraid of. After thinking about it over night, I've pretty much resigned myself that it'd be better off if they did total it. I don't want to end up with a car that doesn't run right. I just hate the thought of giving up a comfortable, paid for car that was getting pretty good mileage.

Sorry to hear this Chuck, glad you guys are all ok though!
~James
Thanks James. I'm glad too. I'm also glad the girls are away visiting family. Even though they're always strapped in their car seats, I'd hate for either of them to have gone through the trauma.

Good thing your friend Misshydro is in the collision repair business, maybe she could help.

mb

Last edited by a moderator:
Piper sorry to hear about your accident , but your car could be alright after it is repaired. Just make sure to take it to a reputably repair shop. Your biggest problem will be your insurance company. I use to be a painter in a collision center for 5 yrs. A lot of time insurance company don't want to do the job right.

im quite confused,,,,,,you say your worried about it not running right........what would running right have to do with body work.....ive been in collision for years,,,,never saw a car that didnt run right after some body repair and paint.....its only metal,,,and cheap stuff at that,,,,, radiator supports bend easy,,,,simple measurements will tell them if there is any unibody movement....i mean really how fast was the hit??????? the only thing i could see totalling the car is if there is unibody movement,,and it would need some frame machine time....also the bags going off will push you that much closer to totalled.....would like to see those pics for sure..... sorry to hear about the crash,,,,its never fun......

alden

im quite confused,,,,,,you say your worried about it not running right........what would running right have to do with body work.....ive been in collision for years,,,,never saw a car that didnt run right after some body repair and paint.....its only metal,,,and cheap stuff at that,,,,, radiator supports bend easy,,,,simple measurements will tell them if there is any unibody movement....i mean really how fast was the hit??????? the only thing i could see totalling the car is if there is unibody movement,,and it would need some frame machine time....also the bags going off will push you that much closer to totalled.....would like to see those pics for sure..... sorry to hear about the crash,,,,its never fun......
Was probably going 35-40 when we hit. Impact was on the front left corner. Unibody damage is exactly what I'm worried about. I could see that the front of the car had been pushed to the right. Both airbags deployed and windshield is cracked. The car is a 2001, so the cost of the repairs vs the value of the car is definitely an issue. There is more damage than year and a half ago when I hit a deer, and that cost over $3,000 to repair.

Piper sorry to hear about your accident , but your car could be alright after it is repaired. Just make sure to take it to a reputably repair shop. Your biggest problem will be your insurance company. I use to be a painter in a collision center for 5 yrs. A lot of time insurance company don't want to do the job right.
It'll actually be HER insurance company that might be the problem. We'll see what they say and go from there...

well not seeing it Camaroboy is right takes a whole lot to not be worth fixing and not much cant be fixed--totaled my wifes eagle talon few years ago was hit in the rear by a full size ford at about 35-40 mph and i was at a dead stop---insurance payed up at about 4500$ bought the car back for 300$ fixed it to like new for aprox 800$ in parts and my time-- look into it again nothing wrong with a rebuilt car if its done the right way!

first off chuck, let me say i'm VERY HAPPY to hear you're ok, & the girls weren't with you. now that you know you need a new car, will you buy new or used? if used, i'd strongly suggest taking it the dealer, to get a "buyer's check". usually charge about 1 hour labor, to tell you their opinion of the vehicle in question. reason i suggest the dealer is they know their vehicles better than most. they also can pull a warranty repair history. that will show all warranty repairs done to the car since new, no matter what dealer in other towns may have done the work. recalls & tech bulletins, also. carfax doesn't always have the warranty info, mostly just accidents & recalls. could save some headaches later. hey, now you have an excuse to buy a dually, & dump that dinky trailer :eek: :lol: :lol: .

Chuck Scott has a 95% original 240z 72 that he will sell you for more than the trade in value of your Sebring its only about 15000$ :lol: :lol: :lol:

or take the potential car to a good mechanic and have them check it out if you have been a good custumer they will probably chek the car out for free just to keep you

Gavin

Now comes the fun part, getting jerked around by thr insurance company.

When some idiot pulled out in front of my wife with a 4Runner when she was coming home in our Mazda 626 the air bag blew dislocating her left thumb requiring sugery to fix (her hand was on the horn/airbag when the collison happened). The insurance adjuster really tried putting the screws to us as repair costs would have been over 7 Grand we only got about half of that. He complained about stains on the headliner which just so happened to occur as she had just popped open a Pepsi and the impact blew it all over the place. He also noted that the oil needed changing so he knocked that off! Anyone pulling the engine and transplanting it with an ounce of sense would give it an oil change anyway.

Needless to say after a few go-rounds with this clown I wanted to take him out back to do a little bodywork on his ass. It seems like Allstate adjuster and the body shop were in cahoots with one another as the shop had an office for this Bozo to work out of, how convenient!

Now that it's toast, go out and find yourself something better for towing your trailer that gets good MPG.

Back