OT: CAD/CAM question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

I am working with SolidWorks '08, along with CamWorks '08, to develop programs for my pistons. I've got solid models drawn up, but can't figure out how to generate toolpaths for the machine work.

Anybody out there have any experience with this package? I'm using :ph34r: "borrowed" :ph34r: software, so I don't have any manuals. I've managed to hunt-n-peck my way through the SolidWorks, but the CamWorks has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,
I am working with SolidWorks '08, along with CamWorks '08, to develop programs for my pistons. I've got solid models drawn up, but can't figure out how to generate toolpaths for the machine work.

Anybody out there have any experience with this package? I'm using :ph34r: "borrowed" :ph34r: software, so I don't have any manuals. I've managed to hunt-n-peck my way through the SolidWorks, but the CamWorks has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Hey Brad, I use Solidworks but have not used CamWorks myself below is a few links that may or may not help.......Barry

http://www.microest.com/Articles/M000262.pdf

http://www.microest.com/Articles/M000263.pdf

http://www.teksoft.com/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mach3 to figure out my tool path's, Export out of solidworks/autocad in dxf format, then convert the dxf to G-code.

Brad,

Are you looking to create "surface" paths or simple 2D?

Is this for lathe, mill ,5 axis ? what specifically are you looking for.

What machine is this for ( type of control) all G-code( and M codes) dont just plug into any machine and do exactly the same thing.

post a solidworks .prt file

Mark

Brad,

Mark is right!

If the CAMWORKS post processor is not set for the exact machine you will be using it probably won't work.

If you use simple 2 and 3 axis machines you can probably modify the code accordingly.

Shouldn't be hard for a basic FANUC control.

Guys,

We have the post processor figured out. The problem I've having is getting CamWorks to recognize the machinable features I need from the SolidWorks model. When CamWorks is installed, it imbeds itself into SolidWorks, such that there are two CamWorks tabs in the SolidWorks design tree. The cool thing about the SolidWorks/CamWorks intigrated package is that once I have a model drawn and a toolpath generated from it, all I have to do is modify the solid model into a new design, and CamWorks will modify the toolpath to match and I won't have to go through the CAM process again for every new design.

I have gone through the CamWorks tutorials, but making the transition from the sample parts to MY parts seems to be catching a few snags. I was hoping someone on here has had some experience with this exact package and might still have the manuals.

Mark,

I will be doing full "surface" contouring. My pistons in the past have had wrist pin bosses that had squared off tops due to the 2D machining. The new pistons will have round top wrist pin bosses, just like the cast pistons, plus some "draft" on the inner walls.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,
We have the post processor figured out. The problem I've having is getting CamWorks to recognize the machinable features I need from the SolidWorks model. When CamWorks is installed, it imbeds itself into SolidWorks, such that there are two CamWorks tabs in the SolidWorks design tree. The cool thing about the SolidWorks/CamWorks intigrated package is that once I have a model drawn and a toolpath generated from it, all I have to do is modify the solid model into a new design, and CamWorks will modify the toolpath to match and I won't have to go through the CAM process again for every new design.

I have gone through the CamWorks tutorials, but making the transition from the sample parts to MY parts seems to be catching a few snags. I was hoping someone on here has had some experience with this exact package and might still have the manuals.

Mark,

I will be doing full "surface" contouring. My pistons in the past have had wrist pin bosses that had squared off tops due to the 2D machining. The new pistons will have round top wrist pin bosses, just like the cast pistons, plus some "draft" on the inner walls.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad,

If your pin boss has no draft and just a corner fillet, use circular motion in YZ or XZ plane G17 G18 on some controls. If the draft is on the inner walls of the piston(, and is constant and you are milling this feature) , you willl save yourself alot of machine time by getting a tool ground for this; if you are planing on using a ball mill or similar and stepping up or down in Z each pass ( yikes ) . Rough with std tool first.

If you are unwilling to post a .prt file. We can all guess what you are trying to do for some time as the part geometry is unknown, Camworks looks for features a certain way and depending on the geometry you may need to show it a chaining direction....

Mark

Mark,

What I have done in the past is to hog out the center with a 3/16" EM as much as it can, rough the bottom with a 3/32" EM, leaving the corner fillet along the bottom and side walls, then finish with a ball EM (size dependent on piston size). I could do all this in about 15min/piston, including unload/re-load and orientation of the wristpin hole. Since this was done on a 2-axis CNC knee mill, with no 3d contouring capabilities, there was no draft on the vertical surfaces and the tops of the wrist pin bosses were left square. Since I am going to be doing these on a 3-axis Milltronics Centurion 6 from here on out, I intend to add the draft and round the tops of the wrist pin bosses.

Are you familiar/proficient with this CAD/CAM package? You may be who I was hoping to catch with this thread......

BTW, I don't have a problem posting .prt, since I'm only "copying" an OEM piston, but I would much rather send one directly to someone who can actually help me out with this issue.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I might be able to help you out . I design fixturing and program parts on mastercam 10 software. If you go to the mono section on 2nd page I machined the Intimidator Mono.

On the pistons you are talking about sweeping fillets on the corners of the wristpin boss to make it look like a casted piston ?

If you need toolpaths I can post them for you in 3 axis if you wish to sweep the contours you need.

Breck

Breck,

Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it at some point, but I'd really like to be able to do this myself. There are only about 100+ different pistons out there for the engines we use, and I don't want to be dependant on someone for a new program every time I come across a new piston.

Mark,

Send me an E-Mail. titan-racing (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Breck,
Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it at some point, but I'd really like to be able to do this myself. There are only about 100+ different pistons out there for the engines we use, and I don't want to be dependant on someone for a new program every time I come across a new piston.

Mark,

Send me an E-Mail. titan-racing (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
No problem. If you need any help I'll try my best . One question. Where are you buying your piston material from?

Latest posts

Back