OS Outboard Interesting bearing issue.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Lohring. Every time my stuff was inspected, no inspector told me to pull the bearings out, he just looked in to see if I was running ceramics... I've known a couple racers that have run ceramics in stock. As long as you run the original needle, you can run a third channel needle in front of it.
The IMPBA 3.5cc 2-lap sport record is held with a box stock O/S engine and was making about 58+ mph at the end of the straights. That engine had the original O/S bearings in it and was also water cooled. I have had a ceramic bearing trash a great engine. I don't run them in the O/S engines at all. I am just pointing out that the fastest engines we have ever had were loaded with steel bearings.
Hi Carl, Was that with the V2 muffler or the original?

I agree Lohring. Every time my stuff was inspected, no inspector told me to pull the bearings out, he just looked in to see if I was running ceramics... I've known a couple racers that have run ceramics in stock. As long as you run the original needle, you can run a third channel needle in front of it.
The IMPBA 3.5cc 2-lap sport record is held with a box stock O/S engine and was making about 58+ mph at the end of the straights. That engine had the original O/S bearings in it and was also water cooled. I have had a ceramic bearing trash a great engine. I don't run them in the O/S engines at all. I am just pointing out that the fastest engines we have ever had were loaded with steel bearings.
Hi Carl, Was that with the V2 muffler or the original?
That was with the short original muffler. We have another 2-lap set up ready for this fall that has the Extended muffler and the air cooled head. It gets through the turns better and should shave some time off of the record. All our engines have always been NAMBA legal even though we run IMPBA. But the bearings that come in that engine work fine. I have no problem with someone putting ceramic bearings in their "stock" engine and still calling it stock but there are some people out there that will blow their pacifier out in the pond over it.

Have the NAMBA rules been rewritten?

I thought I remembered bearings in the ok to use any brand category. I have been torn down dozens of times and have teched many dozens of engines and bearing brand has never come up. How would anyone prove it either way?

Back