os max outboard hop ups

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
i didnt realize there was a outboard specific forum. checkout my post on the general forum about performance with os max outboards. I need all the advice i can get !

Thanks~ James

james.... i got to love that quote under your avatar! at 31 i'm right in between :p

Tom,

My Dad actually told me that this weekend after he bought a pretty expensive toy, and he's 55. you still got a ways to go.

p.s. The new site is really coming together well!

~ James

James,

My suggestions for the OS would be;

1. Head clearance - set it to 8 thou.

2.temperature. Is the motor hot after a full run with the needle set right? you should try holding the head straight after a run - it should be hot - if it's cold or warm it's not burning the fuel properly. restrict the water accordingly.

3. Tuned pipe - the OS's respond very well to a tuned pipe as the standard muffler is very restrictive for power.

The lower unit is very good - why change it?

Hope this gives you some ideas.

James,

Sharpen the skeg! they are pretty fat. a prather 215 and octura x440 work good, a prather 220 back cut a little to get the rpm's up works really well with a tune pipe. I use the silver bullit pipe, info on it is in another post called "A new outboard pipe?" I have also seen the irwin pipe run and it is just as good. As Tim said make sure it runs hot enough.

-MikeP

Hi all,

Thanks Mike and Jim, I am running a 437/3 octura right now with an irwins pipe. Ive modified the carburetor inlet taper a bit to allow a more direct flow. ive also sharpened and polished the lower unit. someone told me to take the stock headshim out and run it with nothing, The clearance right now without a shim is about 5 thou. and it seems to like the 50% redmax im running. as for the temp, im still working on that. i plugged the stock outlet hole on the head and drill a hole directly in the top of the head about a third of the diameter. its definately running hotter but i think it could be a little warmer. any recomendation on what temp to run at? Ive also played with the transfers a little but not much. thanks for the reply.

~ James

Back