OS 21 XM 2.0

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brown truck delivered the 21 XM Ver.II today. I took it apart to check things out.

1. The combustion bowl and head look very much the the water cooled engine. However, it is bare aluminum, not coated.

2. The piston and sleeve look like Ver. 1.

3. The only two thing I found different were the air cooled head and the muffler extension section.

I started the engine and it does seem to sound a little different. I plan to run the Ver. II tomorrow on my VS1.

JD

Hey Jerry,

I've got a VS1/Ver.1 in buildup,

Very interested in how Ver.2 works out on your setup.

Gene ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ya ,,,thats big money for a buggy head and spacer...yikes...no wonder boating isnt for the faint hearted...lol

alden

I had an opportunity to run the 21 XM Ver.II this morning. After minimal break-in, the first WOT runs using "eye-ball radar" looked faster than my VS1 has ever run with a water cooled engine. The engine does have a different sound - a little deeper exhaust tone.

My laser temp gun showed 195 - 200 head temp after making several WOT laps. Weather permitting, I plan to get in more runs tomorrow.

JD

I like the idea of air cooled outboards. The lower unit is a big heat sink anyways, so water cooling is not really needed with a air cooled head. But, I sure hope that price comes down.... Now, if it was a .45, I would gladly pay that price...

I had an opportunity to run the 21 XM Ver.II this morning. After minimal break-in, the first WOT runs using "eye-ball radar" looked faster than my VS1 has ever run with a water cooled engine. The engine does have a different sound - a little deeper exhaust tone.

My laser temp gun showed 195 - 200 head temp after making several WOT laps. Weather permitting, I plan to get in more runs tomorrow.

JD
Hey Jerry,

Looking forward to your next update,

No changes to hull setup so far I take it?

Gene

JD
Hey Jerry,

Looking forward to your next update,

No changes to hull setup so far I take it?

Gene
Hi Gene,

Just bolted the Ver.II to the lower unit and ran it. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the article I did for RC Boat Modeler on the VS1.

JD

So Jerry, what's been happening with your new air cooled 21 XM Ver. II? Glad you asked.

I raced the engine on my VS1 in 20 Mod at the NAMBA Nats and ended up 5th out of 16 entries. Along with the class winner, Alfred Lanza, I was one of the two boats to finish all four rounds.

On July 4, my son, Paul, won the 20 Tunnel Class at a race in Centralia, WA with the VS1/Ver.II. The engine is definitely a strong running 20 stocker.

JD

So Jerry, what's been happening with your new air cooled 21 XM Ver. II? Glad you asked.

I raced the engine on my VS1 in 20 Mod at the NAMBA Nats and ended up 5th out of 16 entries. Along with the class winner, Alfred Lanza, I was one of the two boats to finish all four rounds.

On July 4, my son, Paul, won the 20 Tunnel Class at a race in Centralia, WA with the VS1/Ver.II. The engine is definitely a strong running 20 stocker.

JD
Jerry,

Thanks for the update on the new OS engine. I'm also glad to hear Alfred Lanza won with his LeeCraft XT120, but I am partial to the LeeCraft you know..... ;)

Latest posts

Back