Orlando Winternats a great success !!!!!!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense to anyone here intended or implied but I find it interesting that some of the "oh well that's the risk you take" and such comments come from people who do not own and/or have not built a scale unlimited. Yes it's true there is always a risk but until you've built & owned one you cannot begin to understand. Not that I want to ever want to but if I had to choose I'd rather crash anything but one of my scales. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, with all due respect, I didn't say "Oh well", in that sentence. I was merely pointing out that it is a risk whether its a scale class or a 20 mono. I understand that the scales are a lot more but the same risk applies. It's the same with our scale helicopters. I can relate to it in that sense. I had a turbine helicopter that had a problem and fell out of the sky like a brick. It wasn't my fault or anyone else's, just one of those things that happen sometimes. It had to be shot with a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. That was a 5+ thousand dollar uh oh. While I admit, I don't know about a scale boat, I do understand about the labor and the expense.

Guys ,,,,first and for most...with all the confusion at the end of this race!!!! Perry Walter aka Capt Perry was right on when he said there was no foul language or yelling etc...In every class of model boat racing i've seen plenty of near fist to cuffs,,, in SCALE i've never seen anything close period.....The boat accident in the final ,,,,that was an unfortunate accident,,,and i know Perry as good as anyone,,,and he feels bad...As the class guy he is ,,,made arrangements to help repair the damage boat....Thats the "GENTLEMEN" in Him....

I'am just very displeased with how this all came about...before the final... hell there is a district out here that hasnt witnessed a accident...

The quote of "shouldn't be out there is you dont want it hit" i have a hard time with...especially in this class....like DON said their is too much time and effort that goes into getting these beauties to be competitive...You guys can say hell he's got a fleet of them so what if one is destroyed...you are far from the truth...there isnt one scale i have that i havent had to either rebuild or do some type of adjustments to run down here....

Again my displeasure is in other matters that our dist 3 will handle.....

Roger: I am touched by your very kind remarks. It was indeed our pleasure to have you come all the way from Seattle to compete with us. I agree with you 100% about running it over. After talking to you about big boats, scale racing and the museum in Seattle my desire is to visit you out there hopefully next year. You added some real class to our Florida scale fleet. For that I thank you. See you again. Perry

Don, with all due respect, I didn't say "Oh well", in that sentence........
Gary and all I was not singling anyone out, just a broad response to this thread, and other times too, when sometimes people can't quite appreciate what goes into building a scale boat. Amongst most true to the bone scale pilots it is considered the last of the "gentleman's class" of racing (although there are a few in scale who don't see or drive it that way but you got 'em everywhere I guess) because each knows what went into that floating temple they just put in the water. I could crank out 1/2 dozen race ready twins in less time than I'll put into one scale boat. I think we guys who mess with this class are a little brain damaged anyway to put that much time, effort & $$ into something we're gonna race. I remember when John Finch came by the house right after I finished prepping the then brand new '94 Smokin' Joe's for it's maiden voyage. He looked at it & told me I was totally nuts to even put it in the water..... :p

Looked like a freakin bomb went off.....ever raced in a final with having two of your scales in the final... one hits a piece of debris and kickes up a rudder and heads straight for the shore ( thank god roger didnt panic and shut her off before she hit the shore....) i was too busy watching my other boat not paying attention to mine and stalled on the third bouy... so i was the last boat running,,,, no scale director around he left early other scale drivers left so we barley had enough scales to make a final ,,,,then we had to figure out the problem after all was settled down,,,said thing is we had three scalers from out of town....Mass confusion......Very said... And i personally apoligize for the lack of leadership.......and attendance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Mike,

I get the impression from this post that you are blaming most of this on the Scale Director for not being there. Tell me this isn't so.

Todd

:rolleyes: Did you take any photo gallery show? also what happen any crash pictures? thanks, Allan :)

No offense to anyone here intended or implied but I find it interesting that some of the "oh well that's the risk you take" and such comments come from people who do not own and/or have not built a scale unlimited. Yes it's true there is always a risk but until you've built & owned one you cannot begin to understand. Not that I want to ever want to but if I had to choose I'd rather crash anything but one of my scales. ;)
Don I have always been overwhelmed by the prep and finish on a lot of the scale boats , I know that I personally would be heartbroken to see prop marks on the deck or a wing gone etc , etc , . but I also have seen plenty of "in your face deck to deck racing' where stuff is sure to happen ! I'm sure no one ever intends to trade scale paint , but inevitably ....................

Didn't want to trivialize the tragedy for sure , but when you put yours across the start line , :p I know there's a part of you wondering if she's coming back ok !

pitboy,,hit the nail on the head.......
Mike,

Please call me, to help me understand, because I don't see how it's the Scale Directors fault.

You say, lack of leadership, then, what is that to say of the District/Assistant Directors?

I'm sooo confused.

Mike: I must have the wrong email address for you. Would you please email me your telephone number as I need to speak to you. Or call me at 321-639-1651. After 5 PM today call 321-749-3058 as I will be back at the Mayo Clinic. My email address is [email protected]

Many thanks and looking forward to your call. Perry

This topic is closed... Had a most wounderful conversation with the powers to be... I for one iam glad this happed because we got alot accomplished for the future of scales in our dist.... Like the CZAR said we all shot ourself in the foot............ :rolleyes: :lol:

I agree with Mike. This subject is closed. Next race is in Tampa so let's get the whole District Scale class there for some great racing amongest gentlemen. Just to say again what I have already said it was a real treat to meet and talk hydros with Roger "Zhar" Newton and Fred Hartley.

Perry

Next race is in Tampa so let's get the whole District Scale class there for some great racing amongest gentlemen.

Well, I guess I'm gonna to have to stay home?? That gentlemen thing has me scared, I don't think I can fit that bill

Rick

It sounds as though there were a lot of scale racers who would be happy to have missed all the fun and games down there in Florida. It was just to far for me to go.

Come on Rick,We'll dress you up as a tomato,They'll never know it you cucumber!! LOL

Steve H.

Latest posts

Back