OPS engine question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.G.

I'm in need of some wisdom concerning the OPS .67 engine. What is the difference between "needle rod" and "bushed rod". :huh:

a needle rod will allow more lubrication between the bearings surfaces and the crankpin and the wristpin which is supposed to make it have a longer life. However, they are a little more challenging to get back together and a pain if you drop one. make sure to count them and be sure they are all installed

A "bushed"rod is just that, bushings are inserted into the rod. make sure the holes are there in the rod to and through the bushing. These a bushing for the crankpin and an oil hole thriugh which lubricant is transferred to the crankpin. It's also important that the holes line up, you can even enlare them w/a small drill bit to create a funnel effect. If the bushing shaft slides out of place in the OPS rods end peen the bushing and the rod using a very small center punch right where the rod joins the bushing, and tap just hard enough to create a small dimple

I gave up on my OPS 67 because I keep throwing those needle bearings.

Maybe I didn't install them right

Mike

Mike The O P S engins with needel bearings also had a retaining washer between the rod and disk to keep the needels in..Is that still there ? ..That could be the problem...

Back