OPS 60 conrod Material

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

just for fun

I've been given two OPS .60. The conrod has spun the bush in the big end. I have access to lathes mills etc. I am looking at building a new rod. What alloy would be best to make to make a new rod from?

If you are looking for an easier job, I have several OPS rods that are new but don't have the upper bushing. Have a supply because of no upper. You can experiment on them and maybe you get it right and I could use some of them. Tom

I've been given two OPS .60. The conrod has spun the bush in the big end. I have access to lathes mills etc. I am looking at building a new rod. What alloy would be best to make to make a new rod from?
I may have a Good rod But i would need you to ship me one......... are these rods bushed on both ends? jw

Thank You Joe W, The rod I have is ok apart from the bush has spun.

Thank You also Jack, Thats the info I was after. Was talking to a friend of Dave Richardson's and he said Dave used same material. All Good thanks once again.

Phil

Thank You Joe W, The rod I have is ok apart from the bush has spun.

Thank You also Jack, Thats the info I was after. Was talking to a friend of Dave Richardson's and he said Dave used same material. All Good thanks once again.

Phil
Phil send me the rod, if I have one you can have it? I`ll send it back to you. Joe Warren 775 Crimson oaks Lane Collierville TN 38017

The 7XXX series of age hardenable alloys can develope the highest "room temperature" tensile & yield properties of any of the aluminum alloys produced from conventional methods. However, the strength of these alloys declines rapidly if they are exposed to temperatures of 250 to 300 deg F. This is due to the coarsening of the fine precipitates which gives them their strength's. Alloys of the 2XXX series perform much better at these temperatures, especially 2024-T8.

In fact, 2024-T351 would be stronger than 7075-T651 at even 250 deg F!

Jim Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back