Old Twin, New Life

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

Is that the twin we ran a few years ago? With all the polished / chromed parts?

I think I have a video somewhere of that one running.

Duke

Back in the day, I had an Avenger twin, it was before they were built out of ply. the sides of the tub were some kind of soft thick wood that smelled like pencil wood.
The sides were like 1/2" thick.

I had twin ops 80's in it, and it ran pretty good !
Running in a heat race in houston, the boat blew over on the front straight, went about 50 ft in the air upside down and slammed flat against the water....it blew the side of the tub in half lengthwise..split from front to back.

I replaced it with an avenger/spider which had the plywood tub...

I still have an old cobra in a .67 size... boat was fast, predicable in heat racing, but I'm sure it can't compete with today's boats..

I started running the Water Spiders back in the Early 80's when Louis Durand made them. Then the Spiderette that Don Wagner had produced using the Avenger tub and Spider sponsons. Then finally the Avenger in the mid 90's.
The wood used in question before the plywood was used in the kits was Cedar. Great smelling boats UNTIL you
had to paint and fuel proof them.
Now days, I do not run any more. Still have boats in the garage with motors pickled and batteries removed and such.
Gone back to flying Control Line Stunt and getting ready to start flying CL Speed again.

Carl Cisneros

Back