ODMBA oval record trials results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Well another ODMBA oval record trials is completed and more records fell. We got really lucky weather wise as the forecast had Saturday looking to be less than desirable but it seemed the boating gods decided to smile on us and Saturday proved to be THE day. A couple records got set on Friday afternoon but the bulk of them fell on Saturday. We all woke up to rain and wind this morning so today was a bust but I must admit it felt a little weird with all the records paperwork being done in the daylight and being home by 3pm as opposed to using whatever light sources we could find on a Sunday evening on site like it typically goes. :ph34r:

Kentley Porter had Aaron Alberico's new Picco powered JAE.45 that looked awesome but due to a close encounter with buoy #6 was not able to pursue a record. I fell to a similar fate with my Jag III twin as I was running less than 1/2 second off of the 1/3 mile oval twin record and John Finch who was calling for me said to tighten it up in the turns. Well I went a little too tight and left the right sponson sitting at buoy #1. No biggie as what would a record trials be without busting up a boat or two. :p

Anyways here are the records set this past weekend at the ODMBA Chesapeake site and the list is lengthy. The info listed under the record 2 lap time is the boat, motor and prop in that order-

Kentley Porter

B hydro 1/4 mile oval- 15.687

JAE - OzSpec NovaRossi - OzSpec ABC

Kentley Porter

Sport 20 hydro 1/4 mile oval- 19.987

Whiplash - Orlic NovaRossi - Chris Wood Octura

"Mustard" Bill Bigelow

C o/b tunnel 1/4 mile oval- 24.067

Lynx - Orlic NovaRossi - OzSpec Octura

Don Ferrette

1/8 scale 1/4 mile oval- 21.002

Jensen plans - CMB67 - ABC

Don Ferrette

1/8 scale 1/3 mile oval- 22.803

Jensen plans - CMB67 - ABC

Steve Sutton

LSG27 mono 1/4 mile oval- 20.488

Seaducer - ButchtheBoatman - Bob Austin

Steve Sutton

LSG27 mono 1/3 mile oval- 24.378

Seaducer - ButchtheBoatman - Bob Austin

Steve Sutton

LSG36 mono 1/4 mile oval- 21.809

Seaducer - MBRE - Bob Austin

Steve Sutton

LSG36 mono 1/3 mile oval- 25.456

Seaducer - MBRE - Bob Austin

John Finch

LSG27 rigger 1/4 mile oval- 17.797

Moceri - ButchtheBoatman - Dasboata ABC

John Finch

LSG27 rigger 1/3 mile oval- 20.461

John Finch

LSG36 rigger 1/4 mile oval- 17.849

John Finch

LSG36 rigger 1/3 mile oval- 21.440

Steve Speas

LSG27 cat 1/3 mile oval- 24.071

Aeromarine - ButchtheBoatman - Bob Austin

Steve Speas

LSG36 cat 1/4 mile oval- 20.477

Steve Speas

LSG36 cat 1/3 mile oval- 25.296

Dick Loeb

FE P o/b tunnel 1/4 mile oval- 32.289

Woodstuff - Aquacraft UL1 - Octura

Dick Loeb

FE P o/b tunnel 1/3 mile oval- 34.937

Woodstuff - Aquacraft UL1 - Octura

That's 18 records in all and that made for a busy day and a half of running not just for the guys chasing the records but even more so for Jim Skelton our man of steel on the timing console. What a fantastic job he did and we all are very grateful for his super effort, THANKS Jim!! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy's looks like you had an awesome time,

Dam wish i could have been there...lol :(

Congrats to all who set new records, very impressive,

Dam Kentley, all the water in the lake you had to hit the bouy. :p i gotta teach you to drive on the right side of

the road and now to drive your boat.... :lol:

any pic's or video's

regards Aaron

Congrats to all! Wish I could have been there to try for another FE record. There is always the fall! Mike

Good job guys, man you VA boyz is animals! :lol:

BTW, what's a "Moceri"?
Joe Moceri is a master boat builder here in the USA. He builds some really pretty stuff. I was working on an epoxy glass wide body rigger with him the last three months and I modified it for record trials. It's a one of kind of boat right now. He builds a wood gas rigger that is in limited production that Dick tyndal has right now that we will be testing shortly. It looks to be a really good heat racing hull just looking at it. Results to follow. Joe, correct me if I have said something out of line. I don't know how many boats you intend on building, or if you build them for the general public. I do appreciate you working with me on this project. It was fun!!!

I had a great time at this IMBPA Oval Record Trials event, and got to see more records set at one event than I can ever remember. All of the contestants were really focused and on their game for this event, and especially the guys from the G.M.B.C. club.

Don Ferrette- Showed us how to get it done with a amazing running 1/8 scale boat that looked as good as it ran. This was no special purpose built boat as he races it in D12 at our heat racing events. Just a special note that the boat has won several concourse awards and is the fastest heat racing 1/8 scale I have ever seen. ( he used a stock 67 green head CMB engine no less) I think set up on the boat was outstanding.

Kentley Porter- Again lowered his own records and showed me again why I consider him to be the master of setting records. He has the fastest two lap times for any nitro boat in the IMPBA with his awesome JAE riggers. Just wished he hadn't had a issue with one buoy as I think two more records would have been set. The boats were more than capable of setting the records.

Bill Bigalow- Stepped up with his 20 tunnel and set another record with his teammate ( Kentley Porter) calling the course for him. Great job Bill, and thanks for all of your hard work retrieving the boats this weekend and also at the SAW event two weeks ago. You are really getting in the groove with these record trials events.

John Finch- Well he decided to modify his gas rigger on the way home from the SAW event two weeks earlier and also ordered up some amazingly powerful LSG27 and LSG36 gas engines from Butch Fields of Butch the Boat Man Racing engines to take a shot at all four (4) LSG Gas Hydro (rigger) oval records. He did just that and now has the fastest two laps for both the 1/3 and 1/4 mile ovals of any gas powered boat in the IMPBA. He broke in the motors on the bench just before setting the records! hows that for having amazing power and well put together engines. The only thing John will be chasing id the clock and future records with this rigger combination. Great job John and glad you put the rigger together.

Steve Speas - Used and Aeromarine sprint gas cat hull in both LSG 27 and LSG36 to set the water on fire. He had to do a little fine tuning to the boat to get it to handle the amazing power on tap from both of the Butch The Boat Man Racing Engines he used. These engines made totally awesome power for the tasks at hand and never missed a beat. Steve used Bob Austin custom prepared Prop Works props on all three (3) of his record setting runs. Great job Steve as I know you wanted these records.

Steve Sutton- I used Seaducer Mono Hulls which I think are the best monos on the market to set all four (4) of the LSG27 & LSG36 1/3 &1/4 mile records. I used a MBRE Racing Engine LSG36 prepared by Mike Butler to set the records in the LSG36 Mono Hull class. This engine preformed amazingly and could have gone faster if the driver would have driven a little better and not damaged a boat. I used a Butch the Boat Man LSG27 engine prepared by Butch Fields which was and awesome power house when hooked up with the Bob Austin Prop Works props that were used. Thanks to all would helped me put together the equipment to make a attempt at these records your help was invaluable, and thanks to my fellow G.M.B.C members for helping me at the event . You guys are the best,

Jim Skelton - Jim what can be said for all of the effort and time you have put forth over the course of the last two record trials events!!!! You are the best I have ever seen running the timing equipment. You worked your rear end off this last weekend and kept everyone in line as well as doing a great job with all the record keeping in the books that allowed all of use contestants to concentrate on improving our boats and driving skills. I have heard a lot of talk with regards to other great CD's but I don't think they could carry your lunch buddy as you run a really tight ship that is well organized and moves on at a good pace. Thanks for all of your hard work.

I was most amazed at the attitudes that were present at this event. Everyone and I mean everyone was helping one another at their record attempts no matter if it was a record that possibly held by one of the other contestants. The team work was amazing to watch as well as be a part of, and I think that made the event that much more enjoyable. Congrads to all the the record setters as well as contestants who took part in the event as it was one of the best I have ever attended.

Back