Octura 1450 props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

Calling all 70mph+ 21 rigger guys,

What's the fastest repeated speed you have seen from an Octura 1450 with standard Leading Edge pitch in a heat race boat? And can anyone else on here verify it as legitimate? I'm looking for real speeds please - not keyboard warrior stuff or very light SAW specials. PM's are fine if it's not to be made common knowledge.

Why? I'm trying to establish some mathematical detail based on this prop in order for me to learn more about props, so I'd appreciate honest numbers. Diameter and any other info that may be relevent may be useful, but not 100% essential. At the moment I'm primarily interested in peak speed vs Leading edge pitch.

Why 1450's? Very common prop in my favourite class, 21 riggers, and they have to really work well to obtain their speed compared to bigger engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best ive even got with a stock 1450 is about 63-65.

Last edited:
no keyboard warrior hear LOL!~

stock tongue. leading edge pitch on my own heat race boat @ 3lbs 9oz

70 mph

with tongue cut off flush with hub same boat 74mph

( take in mind you will not get any speed with stock trailing edge pitch as the pitch progression is HUGE on this prop.. )

all of mine are cupped at the trailing edge on BOTH prop styles

nova motor that we do. ops 3280 @ 8 1/8

i run this combo all the time.

70 % nitro

others can varify for you if the like.

chris

72mph.. could not repeat each test day.. mostly runs 68-70

Grim

i need to work on my engine program...... I think that's where i'm lacking..... well that and the pocket book program :)

Last edited:
Thank you to those who have replied either here or via PM. I appreciate the honesty! Definate pattern showing up, and from proven fast guys who win races!

Tom,

Room for improvement :)

i wish someone with a known engine/pipe that does 70+ would put it in my boat so I can see if that's my weak point....

i wish someone with a known engine/pipe that does 70+ would put it in my boat so I can see if that's my weak point....

Tom:

I have NEVER seen the engine be the reason that you are not going 70+ rather than 60+. It is almost always setup and prop.

The .21 boats are by far the most difficult to get to run at a level that the very best 20 hydro racers are running. Granted the pipe and engine have some amount of influence, but not nearly as much as setup and prop. I have seen 70+ 20 hydros with STOK engines. Still can't spell that.... :)

By the way, Frank Bonanno now has duplicators for the 1450 that I have heat raced for years. I decided that it was time that I protected myself from losing that prop so I had him make 2 duplicators (one for each blade).

Marty Davis

Tom:

I have NEVER seen the engine be the reason that you are not going 70+ rather than 60+. It is almost always setup and prop.

The .21 boats are by far the most difficult to get to run at a level that the very best 20 hydro racers are running. Granted the pipe and engine have some amount of influence, but not nearly as much as setup and prop. I have seen 70+ 20 hydros with STOK engines. Still can't spell that.... :)

By the way, Frank Bonanno now has duplicators for the 1450 that I have heat raced for years. I decided that it was time that I protected myself from losing that prop so I had him make 2 duplicators (one for each blade).

Marty Davis
Marty you got Franks Email? Just sealing my 20 hydro and already think it may become my favorite boat 21 sgx 5 port nova and square wave. A dozen props to get me started...... Now i need 10 gallons of fuel and a guru to show me the way............. Mike

Tom

Marty is dead on... Motor is not the key.. I have never ran a "mod" motor in any of my hydros. Not that im an expert but motor is the last thing i go to for more speed.

Pipe, prop and boat/setup.

Grim

Tom
Marty is dead on... Motor is not the key.. I have never ran a "mod" motor in any of my hydros. Not that im an expert but motor is the last thing i go to for more speed.

Pipe, prop and boat/setup.

Grim
Well ive got a new design to mess with this year so well see! And I bought some more plastics yesterday to continue my no paint boat research project. It's easier to make changes when all you have to do is cut, glue, done!

Last edited:
that's why I keep thinking engine..... but i'm going to try again this year! hope I don't run out of $$$

one thing for sure..... HDPE is near impossible to glue! the PVC to G-10 is easier. I might try pvc pipe cement..... but pvc pipe cement does melt foam :) anybody need some 1/32 HDPE???

Last edited:
stock tongue. leading edge pitch on my own heat race boat @ 3lbs 9oz70 mph

with tongue cut off flush with hub same boat 74mph
Chris,

Would you mind telling me what the leading edge pitch measures at on your cut prop, and is it still a full diameter 1450? Thanks,

Tim.

TIM,

i will try to measure it sometime and let you know.. and yes it is a full blade prop.. i don't believe in cutting down props.. you lose efficency in my opinon

chris

Does anyone any experience with a Barr cut or back cut to the 1450 at all? Was it effective in helping the motor unload and gaining mph? At the moment, Leading edge removal has been the only thing mentioned so far.

Does anyone any experience with a Barr cut or back cut to the 1450 at all? Was it effective in helping the motor unload and gaining mph? At the moment, Leading edge removal has been the only thing mentioned so far.

Tim:

EVERY prop that I run that is among my best has the Barr Backcut. It is a terrific way to pull more pitch with less load. That is the exact reason that I came up with the Barr Backcut. John Barr thumped me in Evansville and I thought all the way home how I could go faster with less load - the reason for the name. In his honor.... :)

The Duplicators that I talked about are for a prop with the Barr Backcut. It will show you the exact cut that is on my prop.

Back