O/T FORD QUESTION??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

MY WIFES 2002 FORD ESCAPE WILL NOT BLOW ANY HEAT THE TEMP GAUGE READS NORMAL,I CAN HEAR THE FLAP IN THE DASH MOVING, AND ITS NOT LEAKING ANYTHING. ANYONE KNOW WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS??

MY WIFES 2002 FORD ESCAPE WILL NOT BLOW ANY HEAT THE TEMP GAUGE READS NORMAL,I CAN HEAR THE FLAP IN THE DASH MOVING, AND ITS NOT LEAKING ANYTHING. ANYONE KNOW WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS??
Check that the heater control valve is letting hot water circulate into the heater core, no hot water circulation equals no heat. Typically found in line on the heater hoses and can be vacuum, electric or cable controlled. Also make sure the heater core itself is not cloggged or restricted. B)

does it have manual or automatic air,do you have a fax machine? i can send a break down of the ac system and heater system,checked on fords t.s.b. web site and nothing about this comcern.

Last edited by a moderator:
does it have manual or automatic air,do you have a fax machine? i can send a break down of the ac system and heater system,checked on fords t.s.b. web site and nothing about this comcern.
My ford heater core got clogged twice.. I maintained everything religiously BUT still had problems. IF the heater core is clogged you may have to remove a hose and just flush the core. In the end it turned out that the ground strap from the core was NOT hooked up and the core was aluminum hence slime formed in it. Once I fixed the ground problem it never got clogged again.

Norm Doerr

thanks for the replys guys where exactly are the hoses i want to disconnect for the heater core i know they are in the firewall but all i see is two steel lines going in the passenger side thats not them is it??

Trace those two lines and see where they go. If they wind up at the front of the engine, they are heater lines. If one or more wind up on a pump-like device driven by the engine belts, that's air conditioning. First thing to check though is coolant level in the radiator.

thanks for the replys guys where exactly are the hoses i want to disconnect for the heater core i know they are in the firewall but all i see is two steel lines going in the passenger side thats not them is it??
The one pipe/hose goes to the intake, the other to the water pump. Don't disconnect anything on the heater core side!!! do it on the engine side. you could crack the tubes off the heater core if you NOT careful. I would disconnect anything yet, you need to fine the problem first. First make sure the rad is full, next run the engine put the heater on and place your hand on the hoses/pipes. If one is hot and the other is cold then either the valve is stuck closed, or the heater core is clogged. Take a pic of the engine and firewall and posted here.

Nick

Billy. I just found this on one of the forums. Maybe your truck is the same as the Explorer.

Maybe give this a try also!

The air distrobution control valve is stuck. Remove the glove compartment (swing it out of the way) & stick your head up inside the hole. You will see a black plastic piece that is bouncing up & down trying to close a contact. Gently push it toward the rear of the vehicle with your finger, swinging it back & down. Hold it there till it clicks & the vent will change state & hot air will begin to blow again.

I just had the same problem, a 2002 Ford Explorer, no heat and a clicking noise when turned to hot. Thanks to this article and the posts listed above I was able to fix this today. The only advice I could add is that once the glove compartment door is removed you have to really stick your head head in and look down to the left to see the relay. I actually had to move a few sets of wire out of the way to get my head in there. But by getting in there all the way with a fkash light you can see the lever and as previously listed gently push toward the rear of the vehicel. Thanks again to the previous posts as this definately saved me some money.

Nick

Look for the heater tap and check to see if the control arm has not fallen off. Also check and see if it has a vacum control as it is common for the vacum hase to come off or get a hole in it. If all else fails take it to your local rad shop they should be able to find this problem. You could bring it to my rad shop but i'm in Australia.

Cheers Paul

Hello Billy. I am assuming that the blower is functioning. If it is not then that is another problem.

The 2002 Ford Escape uses what is called a Blend-Air HVAC system. This means that the coolant is constantly flowing throught the heater core at all times ( unless it is stopped up). The heating and cooling functions are controlled by a cable that goes from the temperature control knob on the dash to a door on the heater case to select the correct blend of the hot and cold air to regulate the temperature that is wanted.

The two most common problems with no heat on this system is a broken or misadjusted cable or a stopped up heater core, in that order.

If you are close to Bolivar, Tennessee....... The Billy may be short for Hillbilly????? I give fellow boaters a discount. :)

Charles

Hello Billy. I am assuming that the blower is functioning. If it is not then that is another problem.

The 2002 Ford Escape uses what is called a Blend-Air HVAC system. This means that the coolant is constantly flowing throught the heater core at all times ( unless it is stopped up). The heating and cooling functions are controlled by a cable that goes from the temperature control knob on the dash to a door on the heater case to select the correct blend of the hot and cold air to regulate the temperature that is wanted.

The two most common problems with no heat on this system is a broken or misadjusted cable or a stopped up heater core, in that order.

If you are close to Bolivar, Tennessee....... The Billy may be short for Hillbilly????? I give fellow boaters a discount. :)

Charles
Charles,

Just went and had a look at one in my factory here in Aus and you are 100% correct. Maybe like some fords here they also tend to break the shaft that controls the flap between the Air conditioning evaporator and the heater box just a thought.

Charles are you a radiator man or ac man or both.

Cheers

Paul.

Charles
Find the heater hoses, if you can hold them try the radiator hose if you can hold it the thermostat is stuck...Have you have a radio rapair? sometimes guys kno off cables doing them? I do believe the cable can be seen right near the accel pedal also we have had a rash of broken knobs feels like its moving but not

All of the above sounds like good probable causes and fixes, but I never saw where you checked the coolent level? My son came in the house one day a few weeks ago and said he wasn't getting any heat in the car ( 1999 Camaro ) when he turned the heater on. I confirmed this the next day. With the car running and warmed up the heater hoses would not get warm. When I went to check the coolent level it wasn't even on the dipstick!. I added one gallon of antifreeze to get the level up and guess what..........instant heat. Don't know if this is your problem, but it's easy enough to fix.

Dick Tyndall

Just want to send a BIG THANK YOU for all the replys reguarding the heater problem it was a clogged heater core, its all flushed out and working great now

THANKS AGAIN

Charles
Charles,

Just went and had a look at one in my factory here in Aus and you are 100% correct. Maybe like some fords here they also tend to break the shaft that controls the flap between the Air conditioning evaporator and the heater box just a thought.

Charles are you a radiator man or ac man or both.

Cheers

Paul.
Hello Paul. I own an independent repair shop, we have to do it all, imports and domestic.

We do not repair many radiators any more. It is cheaper and safer to just replace with the aluminum core/plastic tank units. The lead hazard in repairing radiators causes drain bamage. I only have one brain cell left and I don't want to loose it :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Charles

Back