O.S. .18 CVR-MX Reverse rotation?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

I was looking at this website http://www.classicthunder.org/ It shows a group of guys that run 1/10 scale unlimited hydros - running a counter clockwise course! If you are used to watching full size hydroplanes, it looks much more realistic. They can do it easily because they are using electric motors and piano wire drive shafts. Sure, the prop selection is limited, but from looking at their video clips - they seem to do just fine.

I was thinking about building a "fun" (non-competion) 1/12 scale (30 inch) unlimited hydro with a reverse rotation .18 (or whatever size I can get) marine engine. The reverse rotation would be needed to help bring the back end of the boat around when turning left (like the real ones). An electric motor could be a solution - but I really like the sound of a nitro engine, and an .18 engine is cheaper than an electric set-up (electric motor, batteries, charger & speed controller).

Is it possible to reverse the rotation of an O.S. .18 CVR-MX engine? :huh:

I suppose I would need a different crankshaft. Does anyone know if such a crankshaft exists? Does O.S. make one? If so, where could I get one? I suppose I would also have to somehow "reverse" the pull starter too.

Dave

Back