Novarossi .12 wire drive

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, many of you have been asking for months about running a wire drive on your .12 boats. Up until now one of the hardest parts to get has been an easy to use, true running collet. I am happy to say that Octura is now making a 5mm threaded X 1/16 wire drive collet. It looks and works just like the .130" and .150" collets I have been selling with the Nova .12's.

I may start building wires with a .125 stubshaft for sale...Just gotta see if I can find the time. I think several of the FE guys are building wires with different size stubshafts so maybe one of them will chime in here. One word of caution...based on my experience running wires some of the techniques used to build wires for the FE boats don't work as good for the nitro boats. I'm specifficaly talking about attaching the wire and the stub with Locktite. I have seen it work great in some very powerful FE boats, but the power pulses (I guess that is what causes the problem) in the nitro boats always busted mine loose. Maybe just need to do more testing...

I should have the new collets in a week or two.

Glenn

When you get the time, could you post a pic of a wire drive.... I'm not familiar w/them at all and wonder what they are and how they work. Thanks!

Fellas,

I can tell you a wire drive will pull more propeller

than our flex set up. :D

The fun part is to keep them together with our motor

pulses.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

When you get the time, could you post a pic of a wire drive.... I'm not familiar w/them at all and wonder what they are and how they work. Thanks!
Todd, I will get you a picture ASAP. Just think of it as a 1/16 cable with a .125 (or .187) stubshaft...it is set up and works pretty much like a regular cable set-up. One of the differences is that (since you don't have the problem with the wire getting shorter under load like a cable) you can set them up with a thrust bearing between the drive dog and the strut and take the "push" on the strut instead of the engine. The way you lube them is also different...no more cable grease.

Glenn

Jeff Wohlt makes some very nice wire drives with soldered ends. He does have a website although a quick google search did not come up with it. Offshore electrics sells his drives here:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=jw-wire18062
Yes, I have heard that Jeff makes very good wires. I may have to try one of his...just not enough hours in the day to build everything!

Thanks for posting RaceMechaniX.

Glenn
He makes very nice wire drives. Here is his link My link . Most of our (FE boaters) use 3/16 struts but he also has shafts that step down to 1/8 if you need. Another idea may be to step up to a larger wire. He can build just about any drive you need.

Jeff Wohlt makes some very nice wire drives with soldered ends. He does have a website although a quick google search did not come up with it. Offshore electrics sells his drives here:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=jw-wire18062
Yes, I have heard that Jeff makes very good wires. I may have to try one of his...just not enough hours in the day to build everything!

Thanks for posting RaceMechaniX.

Glenn
He makes very nice wire drives. Here is his link My link . Most of our (FE boaters) use 3/16 struts but he also has shafts that step down to 1/8 if you need. Another idea may be to step up to a larger wire. He can build just about any drive you need.
I have one of Jeff's wires...very good quality...Very strong!

-Kent

Glenn Quarles said:
based on my experience running wires some of the techniques used to build wires for the FE boats don't work as good for the nitro boats. I'm specifficaly talking about attaching the wire and the stub with Locktite. I have seen it work great in some very powerful FE boats, but the power pulses (I guess that is what causes the problem) in the nitro boats always busted mine loose. Maybe just need to do more testing...
In Europe i'm making wire-drives , and as you stated , loctite is no good ,

and soldering is making the wire snap at the stub.

I use a glue that cures at 200*C , strength is 3000N/cm² , not sure if there is a similar product in the USA.

Glue is "UHU Endfest 300" see attached pic's.

UHUendfest300_1.jpg UHUendfest300_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn Quarles said:
based on my experience running wires some of the techniques used to build wires for the FE boats don't work as good for the nitro boats. I'm specifficaly talking about attaching the wire and the stub with Locktite. I have seen it work great in some very powerful FE boats, but the power pulses (I guess that is what causes the problem) in the nitro boats always busted mine loose. Maybe just need to do more testing...
In Europe i'm making wire-drives , and as you stated , loctite is no good ,

and soldering is making the wire snap at the stub.

I use a glue that cures at 200*C , strength is 3000N/cm² , not sure if there is a similar product in the USA.

Glue is "UHU Endfest 300" see attached pic's.

View attachment 16223 View attachment 16222
That is interesting...I have never seen this glue here in the States. Do you sell wires over here?

Glenn

Glenn Quarles said:
That is interesting...I have never seen this glue here in the States. Do you sell wires over here?
I'm only a hobby-machinist ... the ones wanting one-off's or custom(ized) stuff , know where to find me :)

You got Jeff Wohlt to make custom drives .. no need to look over the big pond.

Found a English manual for the glue : http://www.uhu.biz/_uk/indexx.html

If interested ... the glue is 9€ (ex.sh.) , I could send you a package to try , PayPal is quick and easy.

Glenn Quarles said:
I'm only a hobby-machinist ... the ones wanting one-off's or custom(ized) stuff , know where to find me :)

You got Jeff Wohlt to make custom drives .. no need to look over the big pond.

Found a English manual for the glue : http://www.uhu.biz/_uk/indexx.html

If interested ... the glue is 9€ (ex.sh.) , I could send you a package to try , PayPal is quick and easy.
Thanks for the additional info. I generally make my own wires, but always like to know who/where I can recommend to other folks. I know Jeff builds good stuff and if I ever need a wire with a 3/16 stub he will be the guy I call.

I will let you know if I want to try some of the glue.

Thanks again,

Glenn

would the wire drives work with larger nitro engines?, or would the larger gage wire not accept the bend so well?, thinking a .67cid. 1/8th" wire??

Back