Nova 45 DD going lean?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check to see if there is a pin hole in the case.This is a cast block been there and done that.

Dave

Olly says his therapy went well so we're gonna give it another go Saturday.

Stay tuned!
default_smile.png

Can someone out there snickering please share a successful setup ? And one wonders why guys don't want to run nitro !! Even the latest technology engine with all the best peripheral parts and this is a common problem . Share . Almost seems as frustrating as the CMB 101 deal .
Not snickering.. Just don't want to sound like a total baffoon amongst all these other smart motor heads out there like Truex & Andy Brown. However; here is my 2 cents: About 3 seasons ago I had the privledge of pitting for Big Bryon while he was racing one of his Sport Hydro's. While he was racing his Hydro, it displayed the same characteristics as the original problem. After about an hour and a half - Bryon came over to my tent and handed me his fuel-filter. I looked at the fuel filter and I didn't notice anything wrong with it(i.e. screen/etc.) He pulled the screen out and pulled-off a dried layer that looked like celephane. Appearently, the fuel had dried from the previous race - but wasn't visible to the naked eye. It allowed just enough fuel to flow thru it to run the boat, but not at full speed. Now after reading 10 pages of this thread, could this be over-looked? I didn't see it mentioned, and I'm just throwing "the obvious" out there.

Next going to try a carb off another motor made by a well known tuner , 410 with .06 spray bar .

This carb performed well on the motor I pulled it off of .

Just a small thing check the line from the pressure fitting on the pipe to the tank may not be getting pressure at the tank

I know you have tried several props,how about a x447x3 small prop less load big rpm? Also being a sport 40 make sure the strut has not moved,the boat needs to be free from the water

Olly,

Make sure the exhaust is not leaking under the cowl. Dirty air will interfere with good performance .

Good luck tomorrow

Nails.

We are having the exact same issue with two different boats guys, Olly's sport 40 and Als D Hydro .

Are these turbo plug heads or std. plug heads? Are they running the newer cooling head?

My NR 46 runs pretty good, but I have not nit picked the performance yet. I do notice that it is plug sensitive, in that it will blow a plug pretty easy and run crappy on a marginal plug. At it's last race, I got air off a slow boats sponson on lap 1, the boat kept running but surged for the remaining 5 laps. For the next race, a new plug was put in and everything ran good again.

My NR 46 is from the very first batch with a turbo head modded by Glenn and the original cooling cap. It's a 180 degree header engine. Clearance is set at .009", but I could be off a little as I'm measuring with a dial caliper and feel this is not the most accurate way to do it.

I am running full water cooling now. I seems to need it now that the engine is broken in.

No cowl on the hull.

This is only on the DD engine Craig.
So the PTO assembly is suspect....

Are there any DD engines with the old cooling cap?

Just throwing stuff out there.

With me needing full cooling in the summer months and I'm running the old cooling cap that was suppose to be over cooling, wondering if the new cooling cap is not good enough?

Just some thoughts....

Might be a stupid question, but what percent nitro fuel are the problem engines running?

Terry,

Are you sure that long tank in Olly's boat has a header tank in it and not just baffles?

Terry, refer to my new post below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back