nova .12 break-in

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_makdaddy

Hi fellow boaters, Does any one have any advice on typical break-in for these little motors? When I read the instr. they say RICH slightly above idle for 15 minutes. next is RICH for 30 mins. at less than 1/2 throttle. then it says start to run the engine a little harder after that. Oh yeah this is a on-road car engine in a Miss Llumar RTR boat. the engine was very tight when I first got It. WRENCH TIGHT to spin over past TDC.

Thanks for any and all info. John Maki

If you are running water for cooling restrict it way down if not removing it all together. If running air, wrap some foil or something around the cooling fins. The trick is to get the motor hot real quick and run it real rich for at least 4-5 tanks. Hot and rich. Then start leaning it down slowly and add the cooling. Don't let it run cool for break in,. .The heat lets that super tight fit you have open up and create a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing to keep in mind on most if not all nova rossi motors is after you run them a few times it will loosen up and the get as tight or tighter than it was when you first got it. so be prepaired to do some lengthy break in time.

keep it warm run it out on the lake and it will break in good for ya.. just take your time

chris

Hi Guys, I am real green with the novarossi engines. It originally came with the roto start and I was wondering if it can be run without the plastic on the back of the engine. one-way bearing backplate only. any mods to the stock carb, it has an idle needle in the center of the throttle and main needle on the top of carb.

Thanks Anthony, it has the finned head cut down to 4 fins and also cut to allow header to pass by the head. It seems to get hot enough as it spins over easier after some running on the water. :)

Thanks Chris, I just want to here the scream of this .12 :) but I didn't want to ruin it either :blink: .

Thanks for all the info guys John Maki

Just run it so rich it won't get on the pipe, with no cooling for 4-6 tanks... should be good to rock after that. I would even cover the fins you have left until you lean it out.

Glenn sells a air cooled head. I've been running that for 2 years. Yes they do like it hot. My one buddy just pinched off some a water line. He's running a off market .12 engine. We did notice a drop off in speed with no water. That $50 engine really sings. Not as fast as a NR .12 but fun just the same. I had to wait to launch until she warmed up, I kept feeling the head, until he warmed the engine up.

Back