NO LAUNCH

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

I just wanted to clear up something and ask if other clubs allowed launching a boat after the race started. Our club has never allowed a boat in after the start of the race unless it was a small race and no one objected. For sure the final call belongs to the pit boss see IMPBA rule ". Clock Time

1. Clock Time will be initiated at the expiration of Pit Time and no boats may

be launched or released after commencement of Clock Time. In the interest

of safety, if a boat is started before pit time has expired, it shall be allowed

to be launched at the discretion of the Pit Manager. "

I just wanted to clear up something and ask if other clubs allowed launching a boat after the race started. Our club has never allowed a boat in after the start of the race unless it was a small race and no one objected. For sure the final call belongs to the pit boss see IMPBA rule ". Clock Time

of safety, if a boat is started before pit time has expired, it shall be allowed

to be launched at the discretion of the Pit Manager. "
Clock time is the last 30 seconds BEFORE the start of the race. From the IMPBA rulebook-
b. Clock Time

to be launched at the discretion of the Pit Manager.

2. Milling procedures during Pit Time and Clock Time.

a. Boats on the course awaiting the expiration of Clock Time will adopt a

milling pattern in a clockwise direction around the course. In the

interest of safety, course milling is required.

3. During the last fifteen seconds of Clock Time, boats passing the No. 6 buoy

must steer a straight course, and observe driver safety in selecting lanes.

Zigzagging, "S" turns, or fishtailing to delay crossing the start line will draw

an infraction with either a one lap penalty or possible disqualification being

assessed.

c. Start

1. The expiration of Clock Time signifies the start of the heat, regardless of the

position of the entrants, and also starts the time of the heat.

2. Boats crossing the start line prior to the expiration of Clock Time will be

ruled as jumping the gun and will be required to complete an extra legal lap,

i.e. complete a circuit of the course and re-cross the start line for a legal start.

3. A heat may be considered officially started when one boat legally crosses the

start line at the termination of Clock Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muddy muddy..

So.. what is it?

Grim

This is interesting, cause a lot of clubs say IF IT IS RUNNING @ 30 SECONDS YOU CAN LAUNCH....... BUT THEY DONT SAY WHAT HAPPENS IF THE CLOCKS STRIKES ZERO ....... AND YOU STILL ON THE BANK....... AND THE BOAT IS NOT ON THE WATER!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Muddy muddy..

So.. what is it?

Grim
Grim, we should all know this... This was demonstrated on Father's day - when one person was allowed to throw their boat in the water with 17 seconds before the race started - and another got his started @ 31 seconds before, and wasn't allowed!!!! :wacko: :blink: :huh: <_<

I would think it is strictly up to the decretion of the pit boss and that could vary depending on the site, ie. Mike your guy's site could take an easy 30 seconds to get from the pit area to the launch area (SAFELY) especially when the hill is wet. You sur edo not want some racer running to launch a boat. Pit boss might have to hold the late racer up on the launch until after the on time racers get by.

At races where the audio cd countdown clock is used, it clearly says "no launch" at the 30 second mark. The same goes for the digital clock when it hit 30 seconds. How is that at anyone's discretion? It really should not matter if your running on the stand ,walking down to the lake,you cannot throw the boat in due to traffic,too bad,pit time is over. The line of "shall be allowed at the discretion of the pit boss" should be deleted. At the 30 second mark,if your boat is not in the water,it's over.Pretty clear cut. Forget all the safety and discretion part of the rule,too much room for "interpretation".

True Ron, But if you read this:

of safety, if a boat is started before pit time has expired(i.e. 31 seconds), it shall be allowed

This would mean that a person gets his boat started @ 31 seconds and the Pit Boss say's that's acceptable - then he/she has those 31 seconds to fiddle around until the race actually starts - which answers Joe W's. question...

This is interesting, cause a lot of clubs say IF IT IS RUNNING @ 30 SECONDS YOU CAN LAUNCH....... BUT THEY DONT SAY WHAT HAPPENS IF THE CLOCKS STRIKES ZERO ....... AND YOU STILL ON THE BANK....... AND THE BOAT IS NOT ON THE WATER!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
It clearly says no launch after clock time starts.

So if a boat is running at the end of port time it can be launched safely if no boats are comming for the start, The pit boss has say over that, you could have had the boat running by the 30 and still not be able to launch if there is traffic preventing a safe launch.

be launched or released after commencement of Clock Time

Interesting, correct me if Im wrong, but I cant find anywhere in the NAMBA rule book that actually states a specific time that no boats can be launched ?

What am I missing ????

Sect. 18 Paragraph C-Pit Time / D-Mill Time .....

B. HEAT RACING PROCEDURES

1. Each heat race will consist of three distinct phases:

a. Pit Time

b. Clock Time or Mill Time

c. Course Time or Race Time

2. The heat starts with the first phase: a two-minute period or Pit Time for starting

engines, launching and releasing boats. A starting clock, placed in full view of all

drivers (or and adequate audio system) and requiring no less than 30 seconds to

complete one sweep, will be started. If all boats are on the water you can go onto the

30-second clock with drivers approval. Contestants will mill on the course in a

designated milling pattern until the end of Clock Time. Drivers should pace their

boats during Clock Time so as to arrive at the starting line at full throttle

simultaneously with the expiration of the Clock Time which constitutes the start of

Course Time.

3. There must be a minimum of three prepaid entries on compatible frequencies to make

a class and/or race. There will be no more than eight boats in one heat.

4. Heat racing records can only be set at and during NAMBA sanctioned heat races.

5. During the last two rounds of scheduled heat racing, the Contest Director may

combine boats from different heats as frequencies permit when there are fewer than

three boats in a particular heat.

C. PIT TIME

1. A Pit Time of two minutes is allowed for the starting of all engines and to allow all

boats to be launched.

2. If no entrants have started engines and are under way at the expiration of Pit Time,

the heat will be declared “No Contest”. All drivers will be awarded zero points, a

DNS.Section # 18

Page # 2

Section Name:

HEAT RACING

Revised 3/15/06

3. Boaters who are in the hot pits will not be permitted to pre-start their motors prior to

the start of Pit Time. Once the heat is in progress, boaters that did not get started and

boaters not participating in that heat will not be permitted to start their motors in the

hot pit area.

D. CLOCK TIME (MILL TIME)

1. Clock Time will be initiated at the expiration of Pit Time and no boats may be

launched or released after commencement of Clock Time.

2. Milling procedures during Pit Time and Clock Time:

a. Boats on the course awaiting the expiration of Clock Time will adopt a

milling pattern in a clockwise direction and around the milling buoys in a

specified milling area to be set at the discretion of the contest officials.

b. Boats must use the milling pattern and may not cross the Start/Finish line

prior to the expiration of Clock Time unless the milling course includes the

Start/Finish line. Traversing the course or infield is prohibited (unless as

otherwise directed) and will be ruled a driver's infraction and a one lap penalty

will be assessed.

c. During the last five seconds of Clock Time, boats passing the buoy marking

the end of the mill must steer a straight course and observe driver safety in

selecting lanes. Zigzagging, "S" turns, or fishtailing to delay crossing the start

line will draw a driver infraction with either a one lap penalty being assessed

or possible disqualification.

E. COURSE

We have always used 30 secs for no launch - unless the boat is running prior to 30 seconds and can be safely launched.

Andy

At races where the audio cd countdown clock is used, it clearly says "no launch" at the 30 second mark. How is that at anyone's discretion? It really should not matter if your running on the stand ,walking down to the lake,you cannot throw the boat in due to traffic,too bad,pit time is over. The line of "shall be allowed at the discretion of the pit boss" should be deleted. At the 30 second,if your boat is not in the water,it's over.Pretty clear cut.
I agree with Ron If the prop is not in the water when the clocks strikes ZERO..... there is NO point in puttting it out there. NO LAUNCH!!! Do you Really Think they are going to let you throw in on the right side of the clock & you hit the start at that time??

of safety, if a boat is started before pit time has expired(i.e. 31 seconds), it shall be allowed

This would mean that a person gets his boat started @ 31 seconds and the Pit Boss say's that's acceptable - then he/she has those 31 seconds to fiddle around until the race actually starts - which answers Joe W's. question...
I understand the rule,it's not clearly written,that's the problem

Understood.. I only comment on this, because this constantly keeps coming-up at races.. It's an ambigious rule - and needs to be straightened-out.

Understood.. I only comment on this, because this constantly keeps coming-up at races.. It's an ambigious rule - and needs to be straightened-out.
YES IT DOES

Problem is, when someone tries to change something in the rules, you get people coming out of the wood work that throw a huge fit about it. **Flame suite on**

How about this.. when the clock strikes 30 seconds we don’t launch. Its the "First" rule in the list and the best. If the CD can make it "motor running at 30 you can launch" they can also follow the "first" rule.

Also.. there should NEVER be running, swinging running boats around and or just general stupidity in the pits anyway.. (not sure why they allow me in there..lol)

OK now.. who is going to write it up?.. get on a helmet! lol

Grim

Back