Nitrous oxide on a nitro motor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Barbaglia

Was curous if anyone else was useing nitrous oxide on thier boats. I realize this is not legal for racing, Nor am i trying to hide anything in my set up to get over on someone.... i just think its a fun concept to play with. I have been expreimenting with it on a couple of older motors. Biggest problem seems to be heat and a tendency to lean out at WOT. Tried setting very rich to allow for this... still end up changing bearings / sleeves and pistons. Anyone know of a kit to allow to change your high speed needle on the fly? thinking if that were possible it would solve alot of the issues.

there are some guys in texas using nos in drag hydros. they say it will blow the whole top off the engine, when something goes wrong,which seems to happen often

Yes steve, it is very hard to keep the motors together, with any sort of respectable "shot". i found that small shots seem to work ok, but have a very limited results. get into the middle of the road, get power boost, yet issues....... Do you know any of the guys names that are running this stuff? be interesting to see what they have found.

Dustin:

Pulsetech is correct. When using nitrous (dry system), the added oxygen will cause the motor to go lean resulting in a blown plug mainly. You have to be able to add additional fuel to maintain correct air/fuel ratio. However, this is difficult to meter accurately. The main issue is when you first open the nitrous valve, the initial pressure in the cylinder is high. Subsequent valve openings are at lower pressures which require different fuel additions. Now this becomes impossible to know exactly how much additional fuel to add unless it is controlled electronically. Another way would be to constantly flow a small amount of nitrous and only adjust the fuel mixture while the motor is running. The problem with all of this is it would a nightmare to make these adjustments while heat racing. One might be able to accomplish this for SAW's but will still be a distraction.

I built one of these systems in the 80's and experimented with it at time trials. It showed promise but more engineering of a reliable system was revealed. When it did work, the motor rpm went up a full octave and was impressive! If we had a fuel injection system, it may prove usable. It would probably work better on a spark ignition engine due to plug issues.

Hope this helps.........Rick

Monster Truck NOS kit a mate of mine made many years ago, worked pretty good, have always wanted to try it in a boat....

Warwicks Truck 001 copy.jpg

Rick and Greg are correct about the metering but did have some success with injecting it straight into the carb which cause it to draw more fuel, it took some experimentation though to get it right and the NOS shots were small. We had it also only setup to activate at full throttle via a microswitch.

this is my flash point motor sport carbin fiber drag boat w a 6oz silver bullet nitrous system w / stage 5 jet system w/ a green head 67 cmb modded . After going over some of the coments im going to add lager head bolts open my chamber up like on our mud racers thanks for the thoughts guys Charlie in Alaska

med_gallery_11998_1229_54747.jpg

20120125_231144 (800x600).jpg

this sommer i have stage 3 ,4 and 5 to use . as soom as i tune it in its on . one step at a time . hey dose anyone know if the guys in texas were drillin there jets out to flow more it kind of sounds like they were getting greedy with it running nos on mud racers in the 80s and 90s we had some similar mis haps .this stuff is great for short stait away bursts and thats all .depending on what stage you are running you will change out pistons and sleaves and head buttons after 20 or30 hard passes as a rule of thum of maintenance.thats if you dont do a lean burn first from leaning the motor out . STAY ON THE FAT SIDE with this stuff . later Charlie

you should be able to impliment a remote needle mix as long as you tx is sophisticated enough it would richen the mixture when you dump the nos.

Last edited:
with a nitro motor id look to reduce some compression in preparation for it. Its like a diesel keeping a spark wont be an issue with all the latent heat luckily its a single cylinder (detonation) could occur . with your nitrous if its getting too hot you might want to inject a small mist of water upstream in there somewhere to deal with knock if you get any. The best knock killer is making sure you deliver enough fuel with the nitrous.

fuel injection on a two stroke would be a beautiful thing. Finding an injector small enough might be a challenge. A mechanical injector might have a better chance fed off pipe pressure or something.

maybe a 10ml cold start injector running at the right duty cycle would be small enough on a big block nitro motor.

An injector driver triggered of the WOT switch along with the nitrous would work as long as you have duty cycle adjustment and an injector small enough.

A supercharger might be a better alternative as the boost is always there so setting the carb should be alot easier.

Last edited:
charles your boats is already there with the remote needle. You may just need to explore the capabilities of your transmitter with a 3 channel throttle mix with the remote needle

here is a thought the nos system i picked is for a 18 to 21 size motor stage 5 is pritty extreme but on a 67 stage 5 is middle of the road.so if i go a richer setting onthe needle should be lots of fun

Oh yes know all about them. Those superchargers really work too! Maybe you should ask the tech guys there what they do about proper mixture.

Being that Nitro Fuel is already as Oxygen Bearing fuel ( the more you squueze it the more oxygen it produces), You would be better off to increase the nitro content of your present Nitro fuel to go FASTER, NOS is nothing more than Compressed Oxygen. The Only effect it has on a engine is a lean condition for a few split seconds, Many used it years ago in gasoline enignes before they had figured out how to control it with limit & pressure switches.Today you can use it as Dry or Wet Systems. But many are trying to control it in stages. it has Huge HP gains on gasoline engines, But Nitro 2 strokes are pretty much limited with the use of Nitro Fuel, If you lean them under load??? the piston will fail in a matter of seconds........... I have see Many Big Block Chevys that could not supply ample Fuel pressure To go with the NOS system Suck or Tulip all the Valves & Cause Catastropic engine failure in a matter seconds.

Nitrous is used extensively in 2 stroke outboard applications with unreal HP gains ...and also catastrophic engine failure on engines with bad sealing qualities , high cooling temps , lean conditions . IMO unless you add fuel with the shot you are just asking for a blown engine as it will lean out instantly . I never have fooled with it on a nitro engine but i always think about trying it ...just a little LOL

Latest posts

Back