NITRO REALLY DOES LOVE ME AND I HAVE PROOF NOW!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotatruckin

Traxxasrod.jpg

Traxxas 3.3 was in a revo I took in on trade, I believe the rod (piston end) was stretched when it came to me that was on 25% 1 run (not hard) and couldnt get a good tune on it, rod never actually came off the piston pin until I took it off havent looked but I believe the only thing hurt was the rod itself possibly the piston pin/piston, sleeve is ok bottom end is ok, not mad at the deal I got but kind of makes me wonder why traxxas wouldnt put a bushing on BOTH ends of their rods

Ah yes, the dreaded 3.3 connecting rod. Have seen a lot of them split as they are the weak part of that particular motor. Davis Diesel makes a good rod for that motor. Keep fresh bearings and a rod in thoses motors and they will give you years of service. I used to race Revo's and never had to touch my backup motor.

that is part of the reason they can exchange those engines for something like $129. i've got a revo 3.3 & jr. has a jato 3.3, so far, so good.....the davis rod sure reminds me of an old RPM rod.

well at 44+shipping for the rod plus new piston/sleeve, may as well change out the bearings while im at it just jumped this 3.3 over the 100$ mark, for that cost dynamite makes a nice drop-in replacement and may look into other engines just not sure yet what ill do to it

mike, i'm sure the price has gone up some, but traxxas offers a "swap out" deal. used to be your old, complete engine (regardless of condition) for a new one for $129. i say new, it's reconditioned/reman. but that was new p&s, bearings & anything else that was worn past specs.

that is part of the reason they can exchange those engines for something like $129. i've got a revo 3.3 & jr. has a jato 3.3, so far, so good.....the davis rod sure reminds me of an old RPM rod.
The RPM rods were great pieces. Wouldn't even think iof running a K & B without first installing one. That was a long time a go. 30 + years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well problem solved, I have several GO 18 marine engines here and boxes of various parts from over the years, combine that with some tinkering and machining and POOF---no more 3.3 revo lol

Took a GO 18 engine, OSTZ18 air cooled head, traxxas 3.3 slide carb, associated extended flywheel nut(cut the stock threaded crank added nut gets you an SG style crank) revo clutch and flywheel and she dropped right on in

(made sure crank fit casting flash and machine burrs inside the case etc were all removed basic things that should be done to all new engines) also had to use a different header (3.3 header is tiny and a bolt on deal)

Machined the TZ cooling head and TRX carb neck to fit the GO parts, it dies everything can convert straight over to a new engine if ever need be. after break-in Ill do some engine mods, first tank fired right up perfectly didnt die or even try, not even once.. I love my machines they let me make some interesting hybrid engines ;)

P1040832.jpg

Yoda you get my email?
No will I havent seen any emails from you-- [email protected]

I want that SHRIMP x 50
LOL gotta love the shrimp, If I remember right there was a grant given (not a large one maybe 1000$ or so) for the project to see how shrimp handled water changes or some crap--personally think it was a waste of money BUT hey thats what the government does best! here is the article lol

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/23/139852035/shrimp-on-a-treadmill-the-politics-of-silly-studies

Still doing break-in not even close to final tune BUT showing good so far! I would have to measure again but for reference the TRX carb ID is a little smaller than the stock carb.

GO 18 using the regular plugs and one copper washer drops the plug into the bubble kind of deep, using 2 copper plug washers puts the plug approx flush with the bottom of the bubble, engine just got off of break-in and still fine tuning everything but running 1 washer top speed was around 27mph 2 washers got me just under 33mph difference of about 6mph and 2 washers was a smoother run, still running rich

I know this isnt exactly a boat BUT it is a marine engine--kind of lol and part of what im finding will go into marine running the GO 18 engines

Back