NIMH IP 3800's charging and use of

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

I bought 48 ip 3800 cells to make up some 12 cell packs i have soldered the cells together using the new method using the hammer head tip and 80 watt iron and soldering the cells directly together instead of using battery bars i was told for the first charge to charge at .3 amp to equalize the pack. Do i have to also discharge the pack at .3 amp? What charge rates should i be charging at for racing situations? IS there any new books on nimh batteries ? I still have an Astro Flight 110D nicd charger that filled my rec room with throphy's back in the 90's would this charge my 3800's instead of me burning my brain cells on the Triton? any info would be great.

I bought 48 ip 3800 cells to make up some 12 cell packs i have soldered the cells together using the new method using the hammer head tip and 80 watt iron and soldering the cells directly together instead of using battery bars i was told for the first charge to charge at .3 amp to equalize the pack. Do i have to also discharge the pack at .3 amp? What charge rates should i be charging at for racing situations? IS there any new books on nimh batteries ? I still have an Astro Flight 110D nicd charger that filled my rec room with throphy's back in the 90's would this charge my 3800's instead of me burning my brain cells on the Triton? any info would be great.
I believe you can send that charger in for an upgrade at Astroflight. Don't know the cost. The current production 110D's are pretty nice for the money.

Charge at 4-5 amps for races. You want some heat in the cells at the beginning of the race. Mine are 120-130F going into the boat. Discharge at 1 amp or less and store them charged. I charge at 1.5 amps for storage.

Brian Buaas

Charge at 4-5 amps for races. You want some heat in the cells at the beginning of the race. Mine are 120-130F going into the boat. Discharge at 1 amp or less and store them charged. I charge at 1.5 amps for storage.

Brian Buaas
Brian is correct.

cell temp MUST be above 116 degrees for a race.

The higher the temp, the more the cells put out.

130 degrees would help explain all his records. ( plus his other skills)

Sometimes amps have to be raised ( even above 5 amps) to acheve proper tempatures.

I have watched cells be charged at 8 amps, and set a SAW record afterward in Valdosta.

Harry

Charging @ 8 amps for SAWS makes for a fast and "disposable" pack. The SAWS guys know they are gonna toss the packs after the races.

Harry,

Not tryin to rain on your comment, just puttin out some additional info.

All the best,

Ray

Back