Newbie to nitro & 1/8th scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRICEZ

Hi Guys

My name is Mark i am from New Zealand and im a member of the Manakau Model Power Boat Club here in Auckland New Zealand.

I currently have a scale offshore deep vee petrol that i am racing with ok success, i am about to venture into nitro 1/8th scale hydros, i have had nitro planes and cars but never a boat. What i have learnt about nitro is mainly from trial and error.

I have purchased a second 1/8th scale of York International with a OS in it, its running a 1/4 scale steering servo and a standard futaba s3003 throttle servo, i am after some info on what size or style of battery pack i should be running in this as i have information from others but they all run different set ups.

Also if anyone throw some light as to how much different a nitro boat is to nitro planes and cars?

Cheers

Mark

New Zealand

When you think you have it to rich. Make sure to richen it more. B) Alot of guys who run cars come to boats and try to tune the motor the same. It will not work. Cars like to run lean.... :rolleyes:

Mark,

welcome to the board!

as for the battery the biggest you can fit in the radio box the better, not size power. My packs are around 1200maHz if I remember right, I'll check later. The 1/4 scale servo your using work best off heavy battery supply and will respond faster as well. Plus since it's so big it'll drain it a little faster so better safe than sorry, especially since if I was too guess you paid good money for your 1/8 scale.

Always best to protect those bad boys.

As for comparisons, boats need floatation in them or they sink! :blink:

Always make sure your flex cable has plenty of grease and your props are balanced and sharpened, sort of like if you run 1/8 scale cars, you need to true your tires.

Good Luck Bro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

headrcboats nit the nail on the head! Boats need to be rich!! if the carb has a low speed needle wind it out so the engine is gurgling. on the bank when you open the throttle it should take a couple of seconds to clear. if it is too crisp, it will die as soon as it hits the water.

For a battery pack, Nicads or Nimh, 5 cells.

minimun 600 Ma. i run 600s and get 5 rounds of racing and plenty of practice between charges. Also very good insurance to have the batterys soldered together!

Good Luck,

Ken

Adelaide

Hi Guys

Yeah im looking at running a 5 cell pack made up of 1650mAh batteries @ 6vs, As in my petrol Deep vee i run a 1/4 scale servo for the rudders and im running 5 sub c batteries and i seem to have plenty of juice at the end of the day, after 5 heat races and one half hour endurance race.

I may replace the 1/4 scale servo with one of my spare Jr digital servos but havent put too mcuh thought into it as yet.

Yeah both my boats i have paid good money for and have them insured.

Another thing is their any special way of reading a glow plug as to weather is running mint, too rich or too lean??

Cheers

Mark :D

Mark,

Glow plug reading is easy enough.

If it is shiny it is rich, if it has dulled a little, its usually spot on. somewhere in beteewn is best

If its very dull, or the element is missing, usually means too lean.

It takes a while to learn the way to read the plug and know what changes to make.

Once it has dulled, it wont become shiny again, keep a few new ones on hand to fine tune. The dull ones can be used for spares.

Mark,
welcome to the board!

as for the battery the biggest you can fit in the radio box the better, not size power.  My packs are around 3200 if I remember right, I'll check later.  The 1/4 scale servo your using work best off heavy battery supply and will respond faster as well.  Plus since it's so big it'll drain it a little faster so better safe than sorry, especially since if I was too guess you paid good money for your 1/8 scale. 

Always best to protect those bad boys.

As for comparisons, boats need floatation in them or they sink! :blink:

Always make sure your flex cable has plenty of grease and your props are balanced and sharpened, sort of like if you run 1/8 scale cars, you need to true your tires.

Good Luck Bro!

99158[/snapback]

I am also new to the world of 1/8 scale after running 3.5 tunnel hulls for years. I have built the 1/8 scale Miller kit from Dumas over the winter (with help from a few posts here). My question is about the correct prop to use. I have heard that the X460 is the prop of choice; is that correct? I also have a question about "prop shop" propellers. Is this a company that I can contact, or a person? Thank you for the help. A few more coats of clear and prop selection and I'm ready to hit the water!!!

The X460 might work, but it all depends on the hull weight and the setup. You will want to start with a smaller prop like the X457 first.

PRICEZ said:
Hi Guys
Yeah both my boats i have paid good money for and have them insured.

Mark  :D

99306[/snapback]

Who insures boats?? Lloyd's of London??LOL :lol: :lol:

As for the digital servo switch, why bother if the 1/4 scale servo works fine?

C.G.

I've had a couple of the Miller Americans...the best prop by far is the X-457 two blade, the three blade works good as well.

My first scale boat was a Dumas Miller American, X457/3 blade was the ticket on that hull. Used a 455/3 blade to break in motor & dial in the hull. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
C.G.,

If you are looking for a Prop Shop propeller I think I may have a 5714E,

which is very similar to a X-457. I am trying one out this weekend in Flint, MI.

They are a very nice propeller,but I have a couple of X-460's also. Don has

great luck with three bladed propellers on his scales,you can't beat the

acceleration with the three blade,but they can run out on the straight away.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back