Newbie needs help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myles

yo could some of you guys please give me a hand. go over to the general forum and there is a newbie needs help with huge r/c boat link. none of those guys are able to help and they suggested you; its a 48 inch electric boat

cheers

Hey Myles, I looked at that thread and the pics are really not much help. Is there a rudder even on the boat now. Whats wrong with the prop thats on it?

I'm afraid that most people on this board are mostly into fast electrics, you need a scale board. Can anyone post some links to scale stuff?

Heres one from our Toronto MMM Scale division. http://webhome.idirect.com/~dkeeley/scale.htm

Not sure how up to date its is, but its a start.

LOU

ok, since noone seems to say anything,here's my 2 cents.

it basicly all comes down to what you want out of your boat. Do you want it to go fast or do you want it to run longer but slower?

I don't know anything about the engine you mentioned, but I used a 33mm 2blade plastic prop for my boat when it was electric. It's a rather strong engine, right?

I'd get a graupner carbon prop in the upper 30's range and see what happens.

They're not expensive. or maybe a 35mm just to be on the safe side. ;)

There are other people here who know alot more about props then I do, but noone seems to wana say anything : :)

hey, the prop that is on it has a blade broken so it isnt gonna help much! it is 65mm diameter though and the shaft is 5mm diameter threaded. the boat is not a kit and the rudder is a 45x60mm rectangle that is pretty mangled (bent, out of shape) so am trying to figure out something better

wow. that's a big one. :eek:

well try something of the same size then? I asume my guesses were way to small then ;D

I don't know who makes props for 5mm shafts (prather maybe?), but ask at your local hobby store?

is the rudder aluminium? then you could re-shape it with a rubber hammer and an anvil. :)

with an engine and weight like that it would be realy interesting to see it running.

i am getting the rudder put back together by a metal worker guy my dad knows so thats cool

i tried to get the boat to run the other day with the snapped blade melted back on (plastic prop) but the blade snapped then i lost the prop totally!

also there was no steering so i couldnt let her get running as my string would run out!!

anyone know any good scale sites?

i will try and sort out a video when i get it moving. btw i have seen kits of smaller boats than this with two torpedo 850s instead of my puny one!!

yo andy g which thread!? i checked them all. i have really confused this issue havent i!!

Myles

the torpedo 850 may be a bit revvy - up around 1000rpm/v if i recall correctly.

The Graupner 900bb 540 rpm/v is slower - you need something like graupners 70mm scale props which are .65 pitch ratio or the raboesch props 60-75mm depending on which blade shape u like

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.om

harumph. problem is tho i already got the torpedo 850.....! whats a good prop to put on that you reckon

Like I said the Graupner props which are .65 prop ratio - ie SLOW - 65mm -75mm dia

this is good becase it counteracts the motors high rpm - usually you would be looking at a prop with more pitch (more efficient) and using a 500 rpm/v or so motor

It gives you a similar out come achieved with slightly more losses due to mechanical resistances (leading edge, tip speed) arising from the higher prop rpms

But still a good fix - go for it

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.cm

Back