Newbie help...Fuel, parts, for .90 CMB 46" Twincraft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie help...Fuel, parts, for .90 CMB 46" Twincraft

Forgive me for not embellishing my post, but I just bought my first boat, so I thought I better learn a little before I got cocky :) . I'm in Portland, Or......I recently visited 5 local hobby stores and saw a total of 3 "speed-boats" for sale. I ask the salespeople to help me find accessories and fuel for my boat and they look at me like I'm an alien. I realize that a 46" Twincraft w/.90 CMB is not a run of the mill boat around here, but I thought alot of the Nitro stuff would be the same as in trucks. Can anyone point me toward the best resources in this area, if there are any??...I was told today that 30% heli fuel would run fine in it..is that true?? I've been reading most of the message boards the last few weeks....I guess I'll just have to wait until the boat gets here before I start flooding you guys with troubles I am having.

Thanks for any info you can give

Doug

Re:Any Nitro or Gas boaters in Portland, Or.?

Hold on cowboy you got a tiger by the tail there, the Twincraft is a fine boat and the CMB90 motor is a real power-house. You can get away with up to about 40% nitro with a minimum oil content of approximately 16%, I would recommend a blended fuel but that is up to the user. The boat you have chosen is a real great hull, up there with the best of them, I would rate it in the top 3 most competitive hulls on the U.S. market the other 2 being the Mirco Burst and the Seducer boat hulls. If you have never driven a boat before take it easy at first, half to 3/4 throttle till you get used to the boats handling traits. Good luck and keep us informed, wee will all be glad to lend a helping hand....... ;) :)

Portland is in NAMBA District 8. We just had a district race near there, though the season is nearly over. Emerald RC Boats will have their last race September 14 in Springfield, Oregon. Look at www.namba8.com for information on the District 8 schedule and contact people.

Lohring Miller

Yeah, I knew I was gettin into something pretty heavy duty....kinda like gettin big clothes and growing into 'em. Thank god I have a cabin on a lake in Washington that is 12 miles long and a mile wide where our dock is, so I have lotsa wiggle room. I know they say this boat is capable of 75mph, but as a newbie I expect that I'll be topping out at 50-60 WOT, since I don't know anything about tweaking, which is still SMOKIN on the water :)

Thanks again, I hope I can find someone closer than Eugene,Or. :)

Doug

Thank god I have a cabin on a lake in Washington that is 12 miles long and a mile wide
That is one BIG A** cabin..........

8) sorry just had to get that out of my system..... ~ James

Re:Newbie help...Fuel, parts, etc

LOL 75 thats a Ebay boat, I have seen bought and sold about 4 times sense spring, It was last sold just around the corner from me. Bartlet Ill right?

Well I would expect about 55 tops for saw trim.

As being a newbie, I would suggest 10-15% nitro. I run with 18% oil, with LOW NITRO, It will be MUCH MUCH EASIER TO TUNE IT.

A Twincraft hull and CMB Engine is a mean combo.

That Twincraft hull is well made, well designed, and strong as hell. I have a 41 Twincraft with .80 CMB.

ITs a good ole boat and motor.

I run OS A3 Glow plugs in mine, and 10-15 nitro, Odonnel 10% car works probably the best. Or wildcat 15 heli mix with 18% oil. works ok.

RUN THAT ENGINE RICH ON THE SHORE.

Make sure your not running to lean.

its a good engine, if your good to them.

After each time out, a air tool oil, or after run oil works good in the engine, so it dont rust.

Lube your prop shaft with grease, or oil, or **** theres 100s of different ways to lube it.

and remember HAVE FUN ;D ;D ;D

Doug sent me an e-mail before he bought the boat asking for my advice. He also asked me later about my favorite R/C boating site and you see which one that is. Glad to have you here Doug.

The only person that I really know of up in Oregon is a guy called FastRatFink over on Jim's R/C Boat Dock. He looks like a crazed Mountain man and acts even crazier but good people. He runs those "G" boats though. Yup, Gas. ;D They don't like to use the "N" word over there, Nitro.

Yeah nitro, it WAS an Ebay boat :D ........ and thanks to Ron for making me feel better about the purchase....after the pricing I've done, it seemed kinda too good to be true, considering the .90 retails for about 500$, but I've heard nothing but good things about the hull and the motor (I just hope it's not abused).... SO the gallon of 30% heli fuel I bought today (on advice from our supposed best hobby shop) needs to be shelved for now until I get used to the boat or is 30% out of the question to run in it ever?? Can I buy the good stuff on the internet? None of the hobby shops here has boat fuel, and alot of posts say to use boat, not car fuel :( Can anyone tell me about this hardware? would a 3 blade prop give me more control ,speed?

Re:Newbie help...Fuel, parts, for .90 CMB 46" Twincraft

Doug,

That should be a good boat, but more deatil shots would be nice. But starting boating with a 90 mono would be a bit like your first car being an Indy car! Have you run other boats? 55 to 60 is pretty quick! And a 90 is a big nasty engine to learn nitro on.

The 30% should be fine, as long as the oil is good.

The hardware looks fine, but the water pickups thru the tabs is a bad idea, that sort of pickup can cause the boat to do funny things. Normally a single rudder pickup is enough.

That boat will run quite well with an X467 two blade prop. I dont know what that one is on it now.

Dont worry about speed yet, if you get it running properly it will be more than fast enough for quite a while!

Ian.

I'm a firm believer that you'll get better performance on that .90 by running 10% to 20%. It will perform and run at great consistancy and will last much longer. I suggest either Red Max or Byron's fuel.

As for the condition of the hull the great thing about mono's is that they are easily to inspect visually and have plenty of space to get a mirror and a flash light to look deep inside to inspect for stress cracks.

TwinCrafts are great boats. During one of those "lack of money" phases I had I sold my TwinCraft w/an .80 CMB and **** do I miss that boat.

As for internet prices and parts I personally have great luck w/Bryan at Rocket City Racing and the guys over at Aeromarine.

One thing you'll have to deal with with monos and that large of motor is the excessive torque and the boat really leaning over on to the passenger side. Don't get discouraged. In time you'll figure how to compensate for that.

Good Luck!

I thought that tab pick-up was kinda strange .... Here's another shot of the "Octopus" . I don't mind starting out with a challenge, if it turns out to be too much I can go with a smaller motor... I mainly made this purchase to get the good looking hull and hardware...I'll just convert to gas if it gets too frustrating.

View attachment 506

Actually the water tab placement was probably a counter measure to help balance some torque. That little bit of drag it creates could be just enough from keeping the boat from rolling over on to its side. Some guys used to put CA glue on the butt of the keel to create a special drap to help leverage torque. Or something like that. There was a good article years ago in Boat Modeler.

That's a lot of Motor Mount! Seems like the motor is a couple inches up in the nose to far for Twin Crafts suggested CG.

One other thing. The last owner of Twin Craft told me that the blade on the left (driver) side was not needed and that the boat was faster w/out it.

Doug,

The previous owner has added water outlets to the head, that isn't the stock config. I think you may have more fun if you ebay the motor and covert it to gas, certainly an easier way to start boating, and will still be pretty quick. ;D

I know two guys who put similar water pickups on monos. Both had problems, took them off and had better boats.

Ian.

Doug - I'm running that hull with a "mid modified" gas Zenoah engine/pipe. Even that can be a handful with the torque roll mentioned earlier. I rolled her several times before getting the tabs right! FYI - with that engine/M&D pipe/P275 SAB the boat has been radared at 52 and for a fun boat that's plenty! Good Luck, John

ok now i started with the 90 picco and have progressed to the cmb 90 and wow what an engine it screems.

i had even only ran cars before i started boats but wil only run the slow cars when i can not run boats.

the engine is a power plant. just don't run it to hard and don't over heat it or it kinda doesn't like it.

i have a new keyring from the rod and it a cool talking point and a reminder of what not to do.

if you need parts try tony grinter in australia on

http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/

if he can not help with the cmb engines than i want to get out now...........

ohhh maybe not i may just change engine brands.

paul

destroyer racing.

if you hear a thud... find a new engine/ boat...

Doug,

You got a hell of a boat, I have seen that a couple of times on Ebay, and Bid on it a few times when it first came on in the spring.

If i remember right, you got all the starting stuff with it,and its was a hell of a deal.

I said this and Rcboats said LOW NITRO.

30 will burn in it, but being new, its much harder to get a needle setting. ( Trust me, been there and done that) It makes more enjoyable to run your boat without it to lean or rich.

You may want to check the sleeve for wear and scratches before you get to much time on the motor.

Just take the head off and the sleeve should come right out.

Dont get flustered with it, and remember HAVE FUN.

NT

Yeah, according to the seller it has EVERYTHING but the starter and fuel...which brings me to another question. I've looked at starters that range from 25$ to 50$....do I need a bigger-than-average starter to turn the .90? .... I have tons of questions, but I better wait until the boat gets here....I made the Paypal payment 2 days ago, he said he would ship immediately and email me confirmation but I haven't heard from him since :(

Get a good one like the Sullivan starter. Some advertise that they can crank over big motors but they couldn't unless the plug was pulled out. I have some "DeLuxe" starters that claim that they can crank over .90's but have trouble turning over my 7.5's. The higher priced ones will only cost you more in the beginning, they will last you years more than the cheaper ones.

ASK AWAY HERE, Theres alot of guys here with alot of info.

Now, starters, i went through the same thing.

DYNATRON---SULIVAN 12-24 volt starter.

I got a "cheeper" One and couldnt do **** with it with the big engine.

I got 2 gel cells a big 14 amp one for my panel, and 12 volt starting, and got a second 7 amp one and have a 12 volt plug, and a 24 volt plug.

the big one will need 24 volts to start. To be easier on the starter, i loosen up a glow plug untill it fires then tighten it ( i have two plug head)

Its going to cost at first, but it will last for years.

NT

Back