NEWB alert: Starting building a 1:120 Bismarck model from scratch

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Menoche

My nephew and his friend expressed interest in using my moderately equipped workshop and tools to work on an RC boat they want to build. They are both 13 with no safety training or experience. I thought, sure, but I'm going to be with you every step of the way.

The boat in question is a 1:120 scale replica of the German Battleship Bismarck. At this scale it is almost 7 foot long.

We're coming to having the hull finished, built of horizontal slices of stacked plywood. Once it is finished, we need to start working on propulsion. The Bismarck has (3) 3 blade screws. Two turn one way (LH), the remaining one, the other way (RH). If I were to scale them down proportionally from the 4.7m originals, this gives me 39mm (1.5") diameter. The question that is bother me is this; do the hydrodynamics scale proportionally? e.g. should I use larger than scale, faster RPM, lower/higher pitch to achieve decent movement in the water?

Also, might I be better served with a motor for each drive shaft or a by a common motor connected through belts/chains?

Thank you,
John

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_E1781.JPG
    IMG_E1781.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_E1783.JPG
    IMG_E1783.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_E1784.JPG
    IMG_E1784.JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 26
I would go with individual motors that run at lower speeds. To go with high speed motors could give you a battleship that planes out while running gears or belts/chains adds complexity and drag, something that's not good for battery life. After doing a lot of web searching, I found that the port and center prop turned counterclockwise and the starboard turned clockwise, when viewed from the stern as shown in this picture:
https://ww2db.com/images/ship_bismark27.jpg

Latest posts

Back