new vegas hardware on first gen vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Hey guys, what all do I need to do to put the new generation strut and .150 cable onto my first gen vegas? The brass strut is WORE out, its about .020 bigger then the flex shaft :eek: But pictures look like the new unit it actually shorter then the old brass one, leading me to believe I will have to replace the stuffing tube and all. Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is probably just buy a new one, probably gonna be alot of work converting the old to the new.

wrong....just twist out the stock stuffing tube... bolt on the new strut and make the tube bend into the strut. Done it many times before on a gen1 vegas

ordered up the new parts from tower. Should be here tomorrow. new strut and bushing, .150 cable, .150 collet, and a couple other little odds and ends. motor went off to Alden, cant wait to get it back and let this baby hit the water.

well, looks as if the bushing is the exact same size as the gen 1 stuffing tube... so that wont quite work.......... I do need a new stuffing tube. Hydro rob, ide be curious as to how you do this?

I think you need some 12" 9/32 Brass tubing, you may want to take your strut and bushing to the hobby shop to be sure. You will then need to heat the tubing (with a propane torch) where it needs to be bent until it is cherry red. You may want to hold it with an old long phillips screwdriver. When you bend the tubing use the old one as a guide. Be careful when you bend it because it will kink. There are a few ways to keep from kinking the tubing. One that I tried is to fill the tube with weedeater line...stick as many pieces in there as you can. The others are to cap one end and fill with sand or salt cap the other end and bend away. I have also read that the tube can be filled with water (capped as the other methods) and frozen. I have only tried the weedeater line trick...worked fine.

Hope this helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, what i actually did, and call me crazy, is drill out the stock brass strut. Just big enough that the new brass bushing fits in there tightly. IE. its not going to move without some persuasion. Now, ive got the first gen brass strut on the boat, with the stock stuffing tube, and its bushed, so that I can simply replace the bushing with a new one when it becomes worn :D All is good to go now, ive got a bushed strut, and a .150 cable and collet. Get my motors back from Alden on tuesday or so, and its ready to rip next weekend B)

Well that is a lot easier than replacing the stuffing tube :ph34r: . Glad you got it worked out.

Latest posts

Back