New to K&B O/B any tips?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atious

New to K&B O/B any tips?

Just picked up a K&B 11cc O/B on ebay. It's newly rebuilt with an inboard pipe curiously mounted. The setup obviously works, the guy sent photos of him and the boat taking first in a couple races and his feedback is very good. I'm new to nitro boating, but not to nitro. I own many cars and helicoptors and have extensive experience in gasser boats. BUT....this is my first outboard. I wanted in on the scene for years now but wanted to get my K&B new from the factory( we all know thats not likely any time soon) But after e-mailing K&B many times I found that if I bought a used one, they had all the parts I could possibly need in stock, just not complete engines.(I'll remain sceptical on that) Anyway, you guys with experience, are there some tips you could impart to guide me in my new venture? I'm going to be mounting it on a prather lap cat III. What are the common ticks of this engine and the things I should look out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re:New to K&B O/B any tips?

We know many of them but when you're asking it this way..... I just don't know what to reply.

Can you be more specific?

Maybe a look on my site (my boats and the tips section) will help a bit.

http://home.hccnet.nl/o.becker/

Oscar

I have a few tips for you lap cats are good for going straight but not that good in the turns you may want to add stumble blocks under the boat both sides,This will help the boat from digging in when cornering. I run a octura x450 prop some of these boats have turn fins i have never had any luck so i dont use it.I have alot of fun with my lapcat i have three .67 outboards and moved to 7.5 outboards i can run just as fast with them . i have alot more tips on lapcats but check out www.htbboats.com for a great handleing boat . by the way the best my lapcat went was 51 mph on a gun stock motor. ;D

Couple of nice sites. I really liked yours Oscar. To answer with specificity....I don't know, just tips like common problems with the motor or lower end that are frequently experienced if not prepped to cure. A good example,maybe, would be Duratrax's Nitro Quake truck when it first came out. It experienced many torn up R+P gears as the pinion was not shimmed properly from the factory. An even better example would be the article I read in RCBM about the teflon tubes not being up to snuff and how to swap them out with brass tubing. On your site, Oscar, you showed a couple of interesting things like the throttle cable's tube you ran or the mounts you made. Those were pretty cool mods. I didnt really understand the long aluminum half-tubes/sliders though.

Atious,

If you haven't already obtained the Lap Cat 2, I'd sure recommend the HTB 360. I have had some experience with with boats and the HTB 360 is just a much better hull. If you already have the Lap Cat, follow the directions and suggestions posted by Dale. One thing you will need is a super strong servo for the rudder - Tower Hobbies has a 1/4 Scale Servo SYS3000 TS-75 that would work - or any servo with over 100 oz.-in. of torque.

Jerry Dunlap

I've already purchased the Lap Cat III. I had actually considered the 360 as I like the shape better but cost is always an option for me when I get into a new field. I havent found a hobby I don't like or a variation thereof, but I always start cheap anyway, just in case. Kinda real late and my mind doesnt seem to be working decent right now,but for some reason or other I recognise the name Jerry Dunlap. Why is that?

Jerry Dunlap, hmmm, i know he is getting older and has been in boating a few years (probably twice my lifespan!!) LOL : :)

He is the guy who designed the Dumas Hot Shot Tunnels, he has many boats like the Dunlap 27 (which was featured in RCBM) and such...and i am pretty sure he has had a hand in the designing of mMANY other tunnes and and other boats that i am not going to curse this forum with saying what they are, because all other styles of boats are inferior to the might OB Tunnel hull!! 8)

Kris

LOL!! Yeah, I know. I just needed a couple hours of sleep to realise that. The second I woke up, I said, DANG I know him!! That is really great. I read RCBM religieously. Its great that boaters of such caliber hang out here. Loads of experience to help out people like myself just entering the nitro boat scene.

i have one of these on a prather lapcat it is very fast! but make sure that you dont run lean i threw a rod and broke the crank, rod, flywheel, flexshaft and a bolt!! not fun $80 worth of parts but i still need a circlips pin

I've seen other posts mentioning the weak stock rod in K&B engines. I wonder if RPM or someone as good makes a replacement rod for the 11cc(.67) outboard?

I'v thrown a few rods rods , i guess i would call it the round style,but it was my fault i'm sure a little to lean,I'v got friends that have never had a problem with them.I'm no expert but i think tuning is the main thing to keep a rod in good shape plus well lubricated.I'd like to no about different rods my self maybe someone can help us both out. :)

By the way I'v thrown rods right threw the side of the crankcase dose any one know if these are still repairable or should i toss them at the bottom of my pond I not proud of my self just bad tunning when i first got into boats,that dose not happen ant more i hope. ???

TO late at night cant spell very well sorry :'(to many keys and i can;t type.

I bought a box of O+R marine engine stuff off Ebay last year. Several of the engine crankcases had holes from rod meltdown. I tried having a friend tig one but he just blew holes in the case. He is a very good welder specializing in antique truck rebuilding and such, no ametuer here. Anyway, about to give up, I found this product on ebay, and everywhere else now knowing what to look for, called Alumite. I managed to get somewhat proficient with the stuff before tackling the cases. I've fixed 3 so far and they run with no notable problems. O+R engines run cooler than modern mills so I imagine some experimenting would need to be done, as Alumite is a solder type material that melts in the 550 degree area. One point to make though, every ad you see on the stuff says you can use a propane torch. Don't bother, you need MAPP/OXY. A mini torch from home depo works great and only runs $40 If you want to take a look at the stuff, keywords aluminum welding on Ebay and click on aluminum welding rods no flux. There are a bunch of people selling the stuff on Ebay

Atious--somebody on this forum sells titaniun rods...don't remember who or for what, but................ :-

Anyone know?

LOL You all must of missed it. He said he Emailed K&B and they had everything he needed INSTOCK.

Just make sure that puppy is blubbering on the beach, and you should be ok.

Thats goes for ANY engine you run lean, not just OBs.

NT

Hi Guys About welding.........I've tried to have a couple things tig welded. mainly noncritcal stuff like stripped holes and broken fins on lower units. It works, but you MUST hot tank the part first! The smallest trace of caster oil will give the welder a big problem. the oil vaporizes at high temps causing a porous, brittle weld.

Anything involving close tolerances or machined surfaces would be risky to try to weld. High temps involved will easily warp something as delicate as a crankcase. I've never tried, but will "JB Weld" or other epoxies for metal work to seal the typical cracked blister caused by a snapped rod?

I,m getting ready to start doing an Areomarine Cat with an OB set up. Hoping it will go as well

Back