New Stock .21OB

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rek

OK. I got back the info I needed to present this to you guys and gals. As many have known, my goal with the lower unit I manufacture was to eventually have a complete engine. At this time what I am looking for is more or less just a verbal commitment on those interested purchasing an engine. The engine is based around the one I started with, the Vertex. You will remeber Jim had used one of these engines I got in on his attempt at getting this engine done. Many parts seem to interchange with Nova Rossi, this should be a good thing. I am still waiting on a price for a few more parts but the engine still looks like I will be able to sell at the targeted price of $199 for a complete engine. Part of the reason for this pole is to get a feel for what I will have to invest to purshase a total of 500 engines and how long I might have to sit on some of the stock till I get my investment back. My intention is not to see how much Money I can make. I mainly want to see the stock .21 class grow and for my self make enough to make it worth my while.

Best regards,

Richard Konnen

R.E.K. Machine & Mold :D

I'm always up to trying something new.

You can count me in for a couple.

One question,if 500 are made,will they be approved to run the sport classes in NAMBA and IMPBA?

There is a bit more involved than making 500 units to be legal in NAMBA. They must be distributed through national distributors . Here is an excerpt from the NAMBA rule book.

b. A manufacturer of outboard motors for NAMBA stock outboard racing is one

who is responsible for the original design and manufacture of the following:

crank shafts, connecting rods, cylinder heads, pistons and sleeves, crank cases,

drive shafts, drive shaft housing, swivel and stern brackets, propeller shafts,

and who has complied with any other requirements which are provided for in

these rules.

c. No motor will be eligible for NAMBA outboard racing until such time as the

motor has been advertised for sale to the general public and is available for

purchase through retail dealers for national distribution.

d. Stock class engines as referred to in these rules are defined as outboard

engines which are:

i) Manufactured in quantities greater than 500 units.

ii) Intended for sale to and to be used by the general model boater.

iii) Advertised through the same media and in the same publications and

given the same prominence as the manufacturers of other engines.

iv) Distributed through the manufacturer’s normal channels.

e. For the stock classes, the engine’s parts must remain as originally

manufactured for that brand, size, and style engine. No modifications are

permitted. Interchanging of parts from one series or edition to another is legal

as long as the parts used were made by the manufacturer of the engine and

were used on their outboard engines.

f. No replacement parts for current production motors will be considered as a

standard production part until this part appears on the current production

motors which can be purchased through normal channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting......Richard, What piston and sleeve and rod combination are you going to use in this engine? What parts would be interchangeable with the novarossi? Another choice in the stock class is always welcomed.....Now if you can get Tower Hobbies or Great Planes to distribute them, you would be well on your way.....You are in for a challenge as far as the stock class goes......

Good Luck!

:)

Id definately be in the market to try a new sport motor. Sport is my favorite class. If its a good runner, id purchase atleast two or three.

~James

Well first off I have to go with 500 because that is the minimum order to get them to make the engine for me. Also at this time I am interested in who would want to buy one or how ever many. Next will be a true commitment to buy. I do know it would be nice to get GP or Horizon to take it on, all in due time. I will probably work more one on one with hobby stores because the discount will be short. I have not tried all the parts because my Nova Rossi is a very old model, but I do know the crank fits and the PTO fit the newer engines. I figure if I can get at least 150 units pre sold it will be doable.

Best regards,

Richard Konnen

Here is the requirments for the IMPBA 21 Sport Tunnel Class.

Engine Specifications

1. Engines must be standard factory production with a minimum of 100 units available for sale to the general public. To be eligible for the International Regatta the engines must have been offered for sale to the general public not less than ninety (90) days prior to that year's International Regatta.

2. The powerhead and lower unit must be of the same manufacturer and model.

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured within series except as shown in Part 4. Clarification: No water-cooled engine parts shall be used with air-cooled engine parts. Common engine parts that are used on both engines models may be interchanged. Slide valve exhaust adapters may not be used with carburetor equipped engines.

4. The following exceptions will be allowed in the Sport Outboard Tunnel specifications.

a. Adhesives (loctite), set screws and jam nuts.

b. Any carb linkage arms.

c. Any motor mount.

d. Any glow plug, fuel brand and mixture.

e. Any type steering arm.

f. Any flywheel nut.

g. The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened or polished. No material shall be added to the lower unit.

h. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original needle valve must remain in its original position.

Here is the requirments for the IMPBA 21 Sport Tunnel Class.

Engine Specifications

1. Engines must be standard factory production with a minimum of 100 units available for sale to the general public. To be eligible for the International Regatta the engines must have been offered for sale to the general public not less than ninety (90) days prior to that year's International Regatta.

2. The powerhead and lower unit must be of the same manufacturer and model.

3. The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured within series except as shown in Part 4. Clarification: No water-cooled engine parts shall be used with air-cooled engine parts. Common engine parts that are used on both engines models may be interchanged. Slide valve exhaust adapters may not be used with carburetor equipped engines.

4. The following exceptions will be allowed in the Sport Outboard Tunnel specifications.

a. Adhesives (loctite), set screws and jam nuts.

b. Any carb linkage arms.

c. Any motor mount.

d. Any glow plug, fuel brand and mixture.

e. Any type steering arm.

f. Any flywheel nut.

g. The lower unit below the cavitation plate may be trimmed, sharpened or polished. No material shall be added to the lower unit.

h. Adjustable mixture controls will be allowed, however the original needle valve must remain in its original position.
Great plan. I would comit to one if you use top quality parts. The key would be a true ABC piston and sleeve, a good dependable carb, top quality machining, have a better than average propshaft assy, and good parts support. Build something better than your competition, for about the same price. Good luck, Richard D

Back