New Starting Clock

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Brown

The Evansville, IN club has a new LED display starting clock. It will get its first real-time test at this year’s Little Thunder race on May 17th & 18th.

DSC_0755 comp.jpg

Clock Specs:

Size: 36” x 21” x 4”

Weight: 15 lbs.

Digit Size: 14 “ (easily readable @ 250 ft.)

Power requirements: 12 vdc (max current draw 3.1 amps)

2.4 GHz wireless remote control

Brains: PLC processor, operating @ 16K Hz (accuracy: +/- 3 ms / min)

Audio signal at: start of pit time, 30 seconds, 5 second countdown, and start of heat

All parts used in construction can be purchased at: Lowe’s, Walmart, and Radio Shack

That is SWEET!!! Plans?
default_smile.png

Ed M. I want to put it through one season of testing, to fix any glitches, before I will quote a price.

Don F. Sorry, right now the plans are still in my head.

Bob M. That **** cat manages to get into most of the pics I take.

DonB

Funny how this just showed up today.

Don, you willing to share plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don has been working on this off an on about a year. Don built our first clock and we used it for 20 years or more,gave it to the Dayton club and Ive seen it on youtube at a fe race.

So it connects to the mainland with 2.4ghz wireless remote, what type of system do you have to control the unit that's in the water. I think that's more important than just a LED display

Sorry I won't give out any information about whats inside the box. After our Little Thunder Race I took suggestions from the drivers and have made a few minor changes. We will be using it at the Nitro Nats next month, so I will get someone to video it in action.

The clock was used at all three of last years races, including the 2014 Nitro Nats.

Over the last few months I have redesigned the guts: removing unneeded circuity, adding an adjustable time correction program (so you hear the horn at the same time you see the clock change), and adding a 60 start timer. The first 2 production clocks have been built, one is going to Missouri and the other one to Wisconsin. Price $1150. I also built a redesigned control box, adding an LCD screen, to be tested at this years races. It will display the 5 min race timer and a how much time has passed since the CD has pushed to start button.

New movie 2.mov

Attachments

• New movie 2.mov
    41.1 MB · Views: 144
Don, what outside diameter are the LED bulbs that you use? And how many LED's are in the cluster? Thanks!

Back