new sport 21 records set

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWaddle322

In Huntsville today there were new records set in both the oval and saw. The oval record was set by Mike Talley at 30 seconds and some change. The saw record was set by a new boater Eric Betty at 53.648 MPH with a best one way pass of 55.603 MPH. They were both set using Vans racing lynx Tunnel Hulls.

These are very impressive numbers. Keep up the good work.

Allen

Congratulations with the record.

Nice work of the guys , sorry Kristie.

Any details on the specs of the boat, engine prop etc.

Ronald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations with the record.

Nice work of the guys , sorry Christie.

Any details on the specs of the boat, engine prop etc.

Ronald.

Great run.

The use of O.S. outboards is a given,but.....

Was Carls heat racing boat used for the SAW record?

I know Van Houten and Drake monitor these forums so if there is no response I will

assume they used a special SAW boat for the SAW record. :)

I know Carl's hulls are fast, But a OS going 55.6 ? What are they feed'n that thang.........Raw Meat ? :lol:

Congrats Guy's thats Smokin!!!

Gener B)

Id really like to hear some bout motor setup and prop ;)

Hey guys,

The boat that set the record was a production heat racing boat. It was sent out a few weeks ago to Eric Betty thru one of my dealers. Eric's boat is a standard Lynx CK-285.

I had no idea that Eric was going to be at the Time Trials and had not met him until Sunday morning when he sat the Lynx out on his table.

Eric had a very clean setup and said that he had just pruchased his Lynx a few weeks ago and then told me he had found his O/S engine on E-Bay. He put some new bearing in it and has been running it every day in his pond. I think it was his first model boat he has ever had. Eric was running a Octura 1440 prop and a full length stock skeg!

Alan, Eric and his brother were great guys too. I enjoy seeing people that enjoy this sport like we do.

On the way home Sunday night, Rushing talked me into building him a custom SAW boat. He wants Tommys Modified 3.5cc SAW record.

-Carl,

Hey guys,

The boat that set the record was a production heat racing boat. It was sent out a few weeks ago to Eric Betty thru one of my dealers. Eric's boat is a standard Lynx CK-285.

I had no idea that Eric was going to be at the Time Trials and had not met him until Sunday morning when he sat the Lynx out on his table.

Eric had a very clean setup and said that he had just pruchased his Lynx a few weeks ago and then told me he had found his O/S engine on E-Bay. He put some new bearing in it and has been running it every day in his pond. I think it was his first model boat he has ever had. Eric was running a Octura 1440 prop and a full length stock skeg!

Alan, Eric and his brother were great guys too. I enjoy seeing people that enjoy this sport like we do.

On the way home Sunday night, Rushing talked me into building him a custom SAW boat. He wants Tommys Modified 3.5cc SAW record.

-Carl,
Carl,I'm glad you bit on my post.....I am just having some fun. :)

Seriously,that is about where that record should be.

All kidding aside.....that was one hell of a pass.That boat had to be flat aired out on the needle and runnin' hard.

How many passes did he make in that 53/55 range?

Eric better start going to church and saying his prayers. ;)

He may well make another 1500 trips to Huntsville and never see a day like that again.Thats smokin' for a Sport .21.

Eric made quite a few passes in that range.

As I understand it, that was the first IMPBA event Eric had ever attended. His friend Allen Waddle could tell you more about that.

As far as other times go, Rushing had a comparable pass Late Sunday afternoon that got Alan and Eric's attention as we posted a down wind pass pass under 4.1 seconds.

This was probably the fastest down L to R (down wind) pass of the day for anyone as the wind was out of the North (our left side). All the R to L passes were fast but the wind came back up and stopped any chance of challenging Eric's time for the day as it was too rough to get thru the R to L beams at that speed. From what we all saw this weekend, speeds in the 57mph range may be seen before the year is out with perfect conditions in the Sport 3.5cc O/B tunnel class.

We hope to see you there for the next time trials!

-Carl,

-Carl,
You Guy's knew Id bite on that one now didnt ya :lol: :p

Carl, Congrats on the success of the Lynx, I've been real near the record but couldnt keep it on tha water past 62.

Tore up three hulls try'n. Good luck and I hope ya smoke em,

Thanks for the info on the OS and prop ;)

Gener :D

Well ----way to go guys WOW! 55 mph stock production hull. Way cool. Good Job Eric and Mike Talley on the new records.

We have not been on here in awhile (IW) been hangin low just reading.

We are coming to the Trails in Nov. if all goes well.

Rod if you want to see a SAW Lynx come on down in Nov. we have one that has showed some real good numbers.

Tim

Rod,

This was defentitly a standard issue lynx. Eric has been dabbled around model boats for sometime but this is his first race boat (the fastest boat he has had prior to this boat was in 30 mph range)> Eric came down to the internats and spent the day watching and came home and ordered some gas boat. The gas boat company did not do what they said they would do and the order was cancelled (production had not began). He then said he thought he would be interested in a 3.5 tunnel. I told him from what I had seen that the lynx seemed to race well. I then called Tim and Josh at Precission about lead times and told the story about the gas boat and added a week to the quoted time to tell Eric (hopefully he would get it at the promissed time and I might add he did). We got the boat and it took a couple of weeks to get it together. We spent a great deal of time in the radio box laying it out so that minuim weight would have to be added to achieve the balance point. When it was all said and done we did not have to add any weight to get the desired balance point per the directions.

When we got it the water the first time we were both a little disappointed (it had a hop that we could not get out). It took about 2 weeks to get the hop out (changed propellers). Eric had decided about a week before the record trilas if he could get the boat to 50 MPH he would go to the record trials with me. Last Monday evening I ran by his house and dropped of the rader gun and 2 hands full of propellers. Tuesday evening he was getting close to 50 but not there yet. I took him another 2 hand full of propellers. Then we got some rain Wednesday. Thursday he went to the pond and got to 50. He told me about the propellers that he had tried and what each one did. He said that there was one that really worked well and when he told me which one it was I nearly passed out (there is countless hours in this propeller in getting it perfectly balanced). This one propeller was the one that when I was running tunnels was only used at the internats and only at the internats.

We leave saturday moring at Eric is talking about how well he thought the boat was running. I was thinking under by breath yea right (there is no way this boat is pulling this propeller, hell it was tuff to pull on my mod boat). We get down there and it turns out Eric knew what he was talking about.

The boat is set up just like the directions call for other than the radio box lay out and the motor is a little higher than recommeded. To turn this into a heat racer I honestly believe we will put a bit smaller of a prop on and lower the motor a little ( no trim angle adjustments or weight added).

The boat is per the directions other than the changes already listed.

The motor come from Ebay (appered never run) and has had the following done: new bearings from Bruce Jacobs, and the skeg was sharpened and kinda polished (not thinned or length altered) by Eric himself.

Fuel: 60 % with 18 % oil "Mean Green Racing Fuel" available from Harry Gerhart.

Prop: Octura 1440 cupped By Andy Brown, with a little bit of this and a lttle bit of that from yours truely ( I would tell you more but a really dont know because it was all kinda of accident that accidently worked and it has been a long time ago).

Eric has spent a great deal of time testing and reading to achieve this in a very short time.

CONGRATS ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Allen Waddle

P.S. Carl, I know that Mike Rushing is a little down about this but just remind him that because of this there will be a new boater in our hobby that is truely hooked for life.

P.S.S. Eric, don't let all this talk about a new boat for Mike Get you down, other than the things we have talked about already, I have thought of a couple of more things. Leave more speed up to me and You just figure out how to drive straight, LOL

He may well make another 1500 trips to Huntsville and never see a day like that again.Thats smokin' for a Sport .21.

I guess that therory got blowed all to ****. Wait to see whats next.

Allen

I guess that therory got blowed all to ****. Wait to see whats next.

Allen

No kidden"! :D

Back