New Kids on the Block

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kensill

I have been teaching some teenage boys in the neighborhood about working on/and running outboard tunnels. I let them pick some boats from my vintage stockpile of old hulls. They took the boats and painted them and decorated them with stickers. I warned them that "pretty" boats are "targets" on the water,but they are happy with their creations. We have assembled(or started assembling) four boats so far. First is an HTB290 with a stock K&B 3.5(thanks Mike Laing)and it's owner is Richard. Second is a Prather Lapcat III with a K&B 7.5 (8702) it is owned by John. Third is a Nova Mod VP (my own design) with a K&B 3.5 SX and it is owned by Curtis. Last,but not least is a Maus Champ 45 with a K&B 7.5 (8702) and it is owned by Jason. I have aquired some used radio equipment and some new. I assembled all the engines from parts and it has been a real experience for all of us. So far,the HTB and the Prather are ready to go and we ran for the first time last Friday. The HTB290/K&B 3.5 ran well till it broke a drive cable (Richard thinks he hit a fish) The Prather/K&B 7.5 ran fairly well but needs help turning. The boat hooks with only very slight steering input.John has done a great job of driving this wild ride. I am not sure of the cause,but maybe there is a Prather owner on here with some good ideas.The Nova Mod VP is almost ready,so I let Curtis drive my Leecraft XT460 45 Outlaw rig to get some driving time. The Maus is still in paint,so Jason has not been to the pond yet. If you want to affect the future of model boat racing,try this for yourself. I am loving all the excitement in these boys attitudes and their parents are very grateful for my involvement in their son's lives. I have paid for all this myself,but the boys are helping with my yard and putting my shop in order. I am hoping to bring one of these boys to a race next year,and who knows,maybe they will be the one to beat. Thanks to all who have helped with parts and/or advise.

Bob Kensill

Hey Bob,

Looks like a great project and if that hull of mine will get used it would bve a great handling boat for your project. Here is a link for a 2.4 radio you may want to look into. Hobbypartz.com sells them for $35 and xtra recievers are $7.50. They have a 160 oz metal gear servo for $12. I have used them and they work well and have a built in failsafe on channel 2. Watch video in link for instuctions. The recievers are very small and fit in tiny radio boxes. Definately something a kid mowing lawns could afford. I know you get what you pay for but I never bought Nike's for my kids either

http://kenbuys.com/flysky-fs-gt3b/

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html

Mic

Bob,

That is very nice of you! I will be having my twin boys starting out very soon. They are 7. My brother and nephew got a friend of his involved and set up last week. I sleek for everyone when I say great job at doing what you are doing with these kids!!!

Mic

Thanks for the offer. I will see what I can come up with for the setup on your boat. Any help would be great. Going to put a stock K&B 8702 on it.

This is the guy that got me and many more of us started in this hobby over 20 year's ago.

Thank you my freind > call me when you need something.

Your Frend

Rick Reisinger

I went to the lake with Bob and his 'team' of young racers. They drive pretty darn good. With more practice they might be at a race course near you soon!

Latest posts

Back