NEW Hobbico Pro Series Big 5 GPS Meter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giuseppe gallegra

Hello guys,

please, i want ask if any of you have tried this new GPS, and if it works well.

Thanks and Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

GPS.jpg

Hi Giuseppe,

I just received mine yesterday and have been messing around with it for the last couple of days. I have been testing it by driving around town recording my trips and then using the Logger software. I also found some reviews on the internet, which were helpful.

I will be using it primarily for figuring out my top speed and as I found out later, I will be able to compute lap times, times in the turns which might be helpful.

The benefits

• The GPS size 2.56 x 1.57 x 0.82 in (65 x 40 x 21 mm) and light weight at 1.41 oz (40 g)
  • The clock time and speed are set for recording every second (which can be changed). So with the help of Google Earth, I can identify my top speed, where I was when I hit that top speed, and the clock time. Although, it will require manual calculations, I can use the clock time to figure lap times and time in the turns for each run.
  • The .pdf file that is downloaded with the GPS Logger 1.3 is a must read for operating the software and has a step by step process on Page 5.
  • The GPS Logger software allows you to save a run as a .KML file which you can use on Google Earth to get access to the data.
The disadvantages

• The GPS Logger V1.3 software is suppose to allow you to click on one of your recorded runs and the map in the software would show you the path from the start to the finish. The idea is you can hover your curser over anywhere on the path and it will show you the speed, altitude and time. This doesn't always work for some reason. The reviews I watched/read all had similar experiences. That said, I have found that creating the .KML file for each run (click on the run, right click, select "SaveToKML", then double click on the file), you can analyze it in Google Earth! (As a side note, it seems the problem is the GPS is not marking the stop time (although it is there in the data). I tried turning off the GPS after I recorded each run (which probably isn't a bad idea to save battery time) and it worked. However, you'll probably still want the detail in Google Earth.
  • I had a hard time understanding the instructions on how to recorda run. Once the satellite icon on the GPS stops blinking, the time will appear, you then can start recording. To start recording, you press the ENTER key once, RECORD shows up on the display briefly and then displays the time (or other MODE setting you were viewing before you started recording). It has started recording. When you are done recording you press the ENTER key once and you will see SEOPAC briefly (who knows what this means??) and then displays the time. Your recording has ended. There is nothing on the display that let's you know for sure whether it is recording or not. As long as you know the above steps, you'll have to trust that it is recording.
  • There were discussions on some of the other reviews that the speed may be off a 1 to 2 MPH, altitude was off some 60 Feet, but for my purposes, that doesn't concern me.
For my purposes, I would definitely recommend it. Until they work the bug out of the Logger software, you will definitely need to use Google Earth. I'm not a Google Earth expert, but I have been able to operate it enough to get by. I could provide more information about the process, if that would help.

I've attached a link to Hobbico's website that shows the softwares that you'll have to download (Logger and the driver). The first download has the .pdf file you will need for the logger software. There are also some links to You Tube and other reviews towards the bottom of that page. [SIZE=11pt]http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0338.php . [/SIZE]

Tower Hobbies sells it for $90. If you join their Super Saver Club, they are on sale for $80, plus the other coupons they have.

Good luck!

Arrivederci,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
The Big 5 is the same meter as these:

Dynamite offered by Horizon Hobbies

DYN4401_a1.jpg

and this one by Sky RC

METG3-720-720x480.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzNWFFuJYCU

I have the Sky RC version and it is very accurate on MPH and KPH on the meter itself however the software is only accurate for KPH as the MPH seems to be calculated incorrectly and is way off i.e. and accurate reading of 65 MPH on the meter and then opened by the software will show a reading of 170 MPH

I downloaded and tried the Dynamite software however it saves and reads files in the .2gpl format where the Sky RC and Big 5 open and read .gpl files. I downloaded the Big 5 software and now I can read the proper MPH from my SKY RC thru the software.

Both the Sky RC and Big 5 do let me click along the route to read the speed at different points along the way.

All the meters seem to be accurate it is only a software issue with the Sky RC that was rectified by using the Big 5 software.

PS the Sky RC only cost $60.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus the Dynamite one is water resistant and it floats. I did soak mine with corrosion X and has worked great for 2 years now. Downside is that it does not give mph in tenths.

Hi Giuseppe,

I just received mine yesterday and have been messing around with it for the last couple of days. I have been testing it by driving around town recording my trips and then using the Logger software. I also found some reviews on the internet, which were helpful.

I will be using it primarily for figuring out my top speed and as I found out later, I will be able to compute lap times, times in the turns which might be helpful.

The benefits

• The GPS size 2.56 x 1.57 x 0.82 in (65 x 40 x 21 mm) and light weight at 1.41 oz (40 g)
  • The clock time and speed are set for recording every second (which can be changed). So with the help of Google Earth, I can identify my top speed, where I was when I hit that top speed, and the clock time. Although, it will require manual calculations, I can use the clock time to figure lap times and time in the turns for each run.
  • The .pdf file that is downloaded with the GPS Logger 1.3 is a must read for operating the software and has a step by step process on Page 5.
  • The GPS Logger software allows you to save a run as a .KML file which you can use on Google Earth to get access to the data.
The disadvantages

• The GPS Logger V1.3 software is suppose to allow you to click on one of your recorded runs and the map in the software would show you the path from the start to the finish. The idea is you can hover your curser over anywhere on the path and it will show you the speed, altitude and time. This doesn't always work for some reason. The reviews I watched/read all had similar experiences. That said, I have found that creating the .KML file for each run (click on the run, right click, select "SaveToKML", then double click on the file), you can analyze it in Google Earth! (As a side note, it seems the problem is the GPS is not marking the stop time (although it is there in the data). I tried turning off the GPS after I recorded each run (which probably isn't a bad idea to save battery time) and it worked. However, you'll probably still want the detail in Google Earth.
  • I had a hard time understanding the instructions on how to recorda run. Once the satellite icon on the GPS stops blinking, the time will appear, you then can start recording. To start recording, you press the ENTER key once, RECORD shows up on the display briefly and then displays the time (or other MODE setting you were viewing before you started recording). It has started recording. When you are done recording you press the ENTER key once and you will see SEOPAC briefly (who knows what this means??) and then displays the time. Your recording has ended. There is nothing on the display that let's you know for sure whether it is recording or not. As long as you know the above steps, you'll have to trust that it is recording.
  • There were discussions on some of the other reviews that the speed may be off a 1 to 2 MPH, altitude was off some 60 Feet, but for my purposes, that doesn't concern me.
For my purposes, I would definitely recommend it. Until they work the bug out of the Logger software, you will definitely need to use Google Earth. I'm not a Google Earth expert, but I have been able to operate it enough to get by. I could provide more information about the process, if that would help.

I've attached a link to Hobbico's website that shows the softwares that you'll have to download (Logger and the driver). The first download has the .pdf file you will need for the logger software. There are also some links to You Tube and other reviews towards the bottom of that page. [SIZE=11pt]http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0338.php . [/SIZE]

Tower Hobbies sells it for $90. If you join their Super Saver Club, they are on sale for $80, plus the other coupons they have.

Good luck!

Arrivederci,

Dan
Hello Dan,

Thank you very much for this you reply with all accurate informations. I really apprecciate much.

Best Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

The Big 5 is the same meter as these:

Dynamite offered by Horizon Hobbies

attachicon.gif
DYN4401_a1.jpg

and this one by Sky RC

attachicon.gif
METG3-720-720x480.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzNWFFuJYCU

I have the Sky RC version and it is very accurate on MPH and KPH on the meter itself however the software is only accurate for KPH as the MPH seems to be calculated incorrectly and is way off i.e. and accurate reading of 65 MPH on the meter and then opened by the software will show a reading of 170 MPH

I downloaded and tried the Dynamite software however it saves and reads files in the .2gpl format where the Sky RC and Big 5 open and read .gpl files. I downloaded the Big 5 software and now I can read the proper MPH from my SKY RC thru the software.

Both the Sky RC and Big 5 do let me click along the route to read the speed at different points along the way.

All the meters seem to be accurate it is only a software issue with the Sky RC that was rectified by using the Big 5 software.

PS the Sky RC only cost $60.00
Hello Ron,

Thank you very much for this you reply with all accurate informations. I really apprecciate much.

Best Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

Plus the Dynamite one is water resistant and it floats. I did soak mine with corrosion X and has worked great for 2 years now. Downside is that it does not give mph in tenths.
Hello Chris,

Best Regards

Giuseppe - Italy

Latest posts

Back