New GPS recorder.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel's Racing

Vendor
This thing is just too cool. See your speed everywhere on the coarse throughout every step of the entire run. You can replay your exact run from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
"A Garmin XT or Something" Why bother posting if you don't spill the beans on what it is and what the software is?

Took me 30 seconds to Google.....
default_wink.png

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-310xt/prod27335.html

Sorry,

I thought it showed the picture and model in the video clear enough and long enough to see.

Yes it is the Garmin model 310XT wrist watch. It picks up 6 + satellites in about 20 seconds and is ready to use with a 20' accuracy. It will stay locked on satellites indoors.

The speed is very accurate. Because you can see every step not just maximum speeds you can forget getting useless results from a run like once you blow over or wipeout. This you got it all.

Yea it isn't cheap but what is these days that is any good.

It is like do you buy a Fly sky radio or a Futaba. That is a no brainer. FUTABA !!!

Better than buying those cheap Garmin Gecko's or the other cheap versions of GPS's out there that fail every few months.

Those lesser expensive GPS units take 5-10 minutes to find satellites and don't work on cloudy days. This unit uses insta fix technology that locks onto half a dozen satellites in about 20-30 seconds then continues to lock onto more and more until it is accurate to about 20 feet or less. It will lock on about 8-10 indoors through a concrete roof. Try that with some of the other GPS units.

My friends have been buying about 3-4 of them every year ruined because of water damage or lost in the lake because they are big and bulky with no positive way to keep them in the boat and attached to a noodle so they float.

The wrist band around a noodle is pretty secure. I still put a tywrap through the band so it cannot open.

This one is good to 150' underwater. You never have to buy batteries. 20+ hours battery.

A whole heck of a lot cheaper than a radar or laser gun that doesn't work unless you pay $500-$1000 for a used real one.

I have already bought two radar guns and they were $100 and $300 and were absolutely useless for checking the speed of a model boat on the water. Those Bushnell radar guns are a waste of money. $125 out the window. It would not work on boats.

It is impossible to get more useful info than this provides at any price. Not even the best radar or laser is going to be much more accurate nor is it able to tell you your speed on the entire coarse. You can even program it to tell you your lap times.

What unit?
Very end of video. It's a Garmin watch GPS. Probably originally designed for runners I suppose.
Interesting! I like data and graphs. I wish it was lighter though. Maybe in a couple of years they will have a smaller one.

If you have a limited budget, having a buddy time you with a stop watch, lap after lap, and calling out the lap times to you - is another way to do it. I used to race RC cars on an oval track (5 second laps). When I did this, it really helped my trying different lines and throttle techniques and testing different chassis and tire set ups. It made a world of difference for me when race day came.

$250!!! Who thinks too much money??? We were paying $1500 for Stalker Pro radar guns 20 years ago. $2500 if you wanted one with the acceleration mode.

$250 for all of that info is a good deal!

Only a 1 second refresh rate instead of up to 10 times a second and no graphing!!! ,no rpm, EGT or multiple temps!

No thanks, I will keep my Eagletree for less money and a lot more capability.

Only a 1 second refresh rate instead of up to 10 times a second and no graphing!!! ,no rpm, EGT or multiple temps!

No thanks, I will keep my Eagletree for less money and a lot more capability.
Can Eagletree do ALL of that for less than $250?

I still say $250 is a good deal for something that can just drop in the boat and generate a reasonable speed map.

RPM, EGT takes special interface and installation time when using Eagletree.

At 1 second sample rate the average large gas boat will get 3 or 4 samples in the straight and 1 or 2 samples in the corner.

That is enough infomation to make tuning improvements.

Besides Jim! Nobody was asking you to give up your Eagletree! Daniel simply posted a demonstration of a cool device that he found!

I use the EagleTree GPS module as a stand-alone. Just power the EagleTree from a small 110 or 200-ish mAh "Micro" sized Lipo, and you have a real-time GPS system that tracks your REAL speed all around the course. Pretty nice way to go, and not invasive...

For all other data logging, I rely on my Castle ICE controllers (speaking in FE terms, of course).

Back