new from Hobbico

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Im sure most of you have heard about LiFe batteries. To date they just have not caught on for powering RC boats, planes or what not dew to slightly lower op voltage.

Having said this they do lend themselves very well as a RX pack.

Hobbico has a new line of LiFe packs called LiFeSource. There are currently 4 in the line but I suspect more will be added soon.

Check em out here

http://www.hobbico.com/radioaccys/hcam6415.html

The batteries some with redundant power plugs for high power servo applications (those big Tunnel Hull Servos) and direct plug in for redundant RX applications (like our twins).

Its important to know however that you do need to use the proper charger when charging the packs. The Onyx 230

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCK1&P=ML

and my favorite the Triton EQ2

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVRS6&P=ML

You can buy these at ANY hobby shop just ask for them by name!

Just a heads up

Grimracer

Don,

Let me do some more in depth checking..

Grim

Edit.. the message came in from the EEs here and the word is, It can not!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it about the battery that it requires a specific charger? It seems electrons are electrons. Is it the rate of charge the frquency of the charge, amps or volts? Doc

Mark, They are.. just do a search using the word Life

Doc, Voltage mostly. For instant the delta peak is not the same, so using any charger that can not recognize this properly can be fatal to the battery.

Grim

Don,

Let me do some more in depth checking..

Grim

Edit.. the message came in from the EEs here and the word is, It can not!
That's too bad. I'd have seriously considered outfitting all my boats with them if it could. Can't justify tossing an 8 month old top notch charger just to make the switch. Bummer.... :(

Hi Grim I wonder that will be working for reciever FAASST(Futuba) and FHSS-2(Airtronics) 2.4GHZ connect to LifeSource LiFe 6.6v 10C Recceiver Packs dont need add regulators? Destroy ? I never see Lipo battery before Let me know thanks Allan

Allan,

I can tell you from experience that both Airtroncis and Futaba 2.4 system do not need regulators with Life packs. Im not sure about the others.

If you are using a Lipo it is BEST to use a regulator as the output voltage is to high for most servos that are on the market now.

Don. I do not like to use Nimphs in my boats but dont mind Nicads.. having said this its nice to get the extra time for less weight. I also like the fact that they do not self discharge and what not..

Plus.. its just nice to know LiFe packs are fire safe.. They are MUCH more stable then Lipos.

If you are not using or have a Triton EQ2.. take the time to look into it.. its the standard for our R+D department here at work. Its does not have to Read the battery like the old Triton and has the balance system built in (O yea its AC DC too..)

Grim

Allan,

I can tell you from experience that both Airtroncis and Futaba 2.4 system do not need regulators with Life packs. Im not sure about the others.

If you are using a Lipo it is BEST to use a regulator as the output voltage is to high for most servos that are on the market now.

Don. I do not like to use Nimphs in my boats but dont mind Nicads.. having said this its nice to get the extra time for less weight. I also like the fact that they do not self discharge and what not..

Plus.. its just nice to know LiFe packs are fire safe.. They are MUCH more stable then Lipos.

If you are not using or have a Triton EQ2.. take the time to look into it.. its the standard for our R+D department here at work. Its does not have to Read the battery like the old Triton and has the balance system built in (O yea its AC DC too..)

Grim

grim,

do you know the weight of them by any chance?

MT,

I have the weight here of the 1100. Its 94 grams. We are also looking into pack that do not have all the plugs for standard setups.

Grim

Sorry.. Nickel Metal

Take care

Grim
Oh I see Anyway one more question If water go through radio box so Life source will cause burn or swollen ??? should put cover balloon with foam( viberate) onto battery? What size on measure long x wide x deep? I want to know feedback about it

Why would you not like to use NIMH batteries in your boats??

That is pretty much all I use, and have not had a problem with them yet. I can charge them up after open water on Friday, and run all weekend of a race without recharging. I run them in my TX and as RX packs in my boats.

What am I missing?? I don't run tunnels, so don't need the big servo you use, but they use NIMH packs to power RC cars, so can't imagine there would be a problem running a servo from them.

Sean

sean, i do run tunnels, & have had very good service fron nimh batteries. same as you, run fri., charge & race all weekend. 5cell - 6 volt - 1400 mah packs. standard car/buggie rx hump packs.

That is pretty much all I use, and have not had a problem with them yet. I can charge them up after open water on Friday, and run all weekend of a race without recharging. I run them in my TX and as RX packs in my boats.

What am I missing?? I don't run tunnels, so don't need the big servo you use, but they use NIMH packs to power RC cars, so can't imagine there would be a problem running a servo from them.

Sean

Sean,

Im not a big fan just because of life cycle. I dont allow my batterys to cycle below 80% cap. When they do your battey/now boat is ticking!... Tick..Tick.. SHORE!

Most battery types of around 1000mah will make a weekend race with out re-charging so thats not an issue.

Your realy not missing anything. Nickle Metals can and do work..

Enjoy

Grim

Sean

Sean,

Im not a big fan just because of life cycle. I dont allow my batterys to cycle below 80% cap. When they do your battey/now boat is ticking!... Tick..Tick.. SHORE!

Most battery types of around 1000mah will make a weekend race with out re-charging so thats not an issue.

Your realy not missing anything. Nickle Metals can and do work..

Enjoy

Grim
i guess i don't understand either. i have used nothing but nickle metals since they came out, because of the capacity, and they last longer than nicads. and if any battery won't cycle at 95% or better it goes in the garbage

Back