need speed 400 prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeP

I have a micro hydro and need to know what prop I could run on it without burning it up. It's a speed 400 direct drive with 6 cells.

-MikeP

Hi Mike

I would suggest that you start out somewhere around an Octura X427 prop. An even better idea would be to pick up several plastic X431 props and try cutting them down to around 28-29mm diameter. This should put you in the ballpark

Hi gents, wow - some of you look familiar :)

Tom (Octura) called the other day - he is working on 2 new 1/8" bore props that will help us out...

If I remember correctly an M425, and a 1727.

i dont know where where we'd be if it werent for tom!

how old is he now?

three cheers for OCTURA!

I was wondering if you guys could look over my micro and tell me if you see any probles with it. I started it quite a while ago after stumbling onto the website microhydros.com.

Do you think it will get on top of the water?

www.ad.kengarff.com/mikep/micro/micro1.jpg

www.ad.kengarff.com/mikep/micro/micro2.jpg

Speed 400, 6 cell 270ah nicad, airtronics ES-20 speed controller. 32mm prop.

It's 12" long. The cg is at 6" right at the front sponson trailing edge.

-MikeP

Mike

Your hydro is pretty small and the fact that your steps are 50% back concerns me a little. Your CG must be behind the sponson step edge - approximately 1" for stability. I'm guessing that your 400 motor is a 7.2v wind. In order to get any reasonable runtime your current/propload is going to have to be pretty low. I'm sure that the 32mm prop is going to be WAY too much for that. I think that your choice of the cell size is consistant with the motor choice and the size of the hull. Your going to have to keep it really light to work well. I certainly wouldn't attempt to run it with more than a X427 to begin with.

Latest posts

Back