NEED HELP FOR MY 45 CRAPSHOOTER 1989

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christophe

Hi guys,

I return from vacation and I start to work on my 45 crapshooter of 1989 that I bought on IW to JoeWScott, thank you again to him, Mark Sholund and Ted Buckley.

I don't know why but I love crapshooter :wub: .... it was some years I am trying to get one.

Moreover, if someone sells most recent version 45, let me know (perhaps that of Don Ferrette) :D :lol: .... a friend of mine just bought one of Terry Flynn.

I'm french and my English language technique did not perfect :D :D

so, its length is 92 cm This is a straight / hard shaft boat.

I need help with the selection of propellers and the length of pipe.

Here is my configuration:

CMB 45 HR engine with A / B pipe parabolic 25% or 40% nitro.

on the paperwork, it is recommended to put a octura 1462 (stock or not stock?).

according to some recommendations I collected on the IW forum, it is advisable to keep this type of transmition and not replace it with a flex. What do you think?

I try to run properly this crapshooter, not trying to beat a speed record.

the boat is heavy, and I think requires a powerful engine. I also have a CMB 45 VAC, but I prefer to keep it for my future 45 JAGUARD III :wub: :wub: ....

I put some pIctures. I remake the paint after making my first tests.

I try also the piece that coupling between the motor and the shaft, as in the photo for CMB 45 Engine

thank you for your valuable information

Regards Chris

P1050119.JPG

P1050118.JPG

untitled.jpg

Wow, that brings back memories, I had one of Marty's 40's and a Greg Hughey 67 with hard shafts. The boat was designed for the 4* ish drive angle so if you put in a flex shaft you'd have to run near that to keep the nose from flying. I'd just run it as is.

Octura 1400 series worked best IIRC, 1600 would work too but the extra lift was hard to deal with. A 1462 would might work with the older motors on a mini pipe but would be way too big today.

I'd try a 1457 or even 1455 with a little cup to start.

What pipe are you running? Whatever it is, start long, about 10.5" from the center of the engine to the weld on the pipe or middle of the straight section. :)

ps: Did Denis get his boat OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thank you Terry.

I'm using a A/B parabolic pipe.

PS: my friend Denis have'nt got any news about Terry Flynn..

Hey Christophe,

I agree with Terry - run it with the solid shaft. I'm still running some solid shafts running in ball bearings today. I would suggest you get an Octura Universal joint - I believe the thread of the PICCO crank is 1/4 - 28. I've attached a pic of one. Note the two set screws in the male end of the universal. File corresponding flats on your shaft, and alway use Locktite 242 Blue before you run it to keep set screws in place.

I used to run an Octura 1462 with a K&B 7.5 in a similar vintage - Gator outrigger, so I believe it will work for you. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi Cristophe if your pipe is stock you can make a simple mod that always help motors to run better that is to open the "baffle" of your parabolic pipe..use a drill with the same ID of the stinger to remove the botton of it and take care to carefully clean the pipe to get rid of metal particles....my .45 engine loved this modification and 1460 it is a very good propellor to start.with a heavy boat on 25% nitro.

Good luck and have fun!

Gilles

My first rigger was an old Crap shooter w/ the hard shaft and an OPS 40. If memory serves me correct I think Eric Canto chuckled at me the first time I showed up to the pond with it. Many boats later I still remember it was a hard runner. Ryon

Hi,

thank you all for informations.

I have read on the forum that Andy Brown had a old crapshooter and had just changed the turn fine for the new generation, the one with my CRApSHOOTER seems small.

Chris

hi guys,

I am looking piece of coupling between the motor (CMB) and the shaft for my 40 CRAPSHOOTER, I need the 2 parts (engine side and side hard shaft).

if anyone has oneI'm interested.

thank you

Chris

I would suggest that you use either a 1460, 1462 or 1465 Octura Prop. With that hard shaft, it will pull much more prop than with a flat strut. You can put a little pitch in the 1460 & 1462 and run the 1465 stock.

You need to get a double set screw Octura Male U Joint so that it stays hooked up with the 2 set screws. BE SURE to put a flat on the shaft and flatten the bottom of the set screws. Use some LocTite Blue to make sure it stays together. Also on the Drive Dog.

The turn fin that came with the boat is an antique and will not work very well. Maybe try to find a more modern turn fin.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for this information, I hope I find this U joint because I'm eager to try it, I love this boat! I will change the turn fine

Chris

I may have some Octura Hard shaft stuff . where do you live ?
Hi Tom,

I live in France, near Paris. if you have a hard flex and complet U joint, I'am interested, I can pay by paypal, if you have an account? Tell me what gavé you got,

Regards Chris

Christophe get in touch with Lionel Bara. a member of Int waters ....he also lives in France and can help you a lot...he organizes the Cup of France..if you need his contact I can send it to you via p.m.

Cheers

Gilles

well I think most of riggers guys had a "crap"..here is mine with some mods built in 1980 with the first Picco series.......

Hi Gilles,

yes I know very well Lione is one of my friends :) , I participate in all races in France and also to the worldchampionships NAVIGA.

I am also looking for a tank for my Capshooter

thank you for the pictures

Chris

Nice...we have talked some times by phone to share tips about carbon fiber.send to him my greetings

Gilles

I have shafts and lots of bearings for a hard shaft boat if you want them. Bearings usually last one season.

Ken

Hi Ken,

how much for the hard shaft? And how many have you got?

I have a lot of bearings for hard shaft.

Do you have a complet U joint?

Regards Chris

Back