NAMBA tuned pipe rule........

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
In the NAMBA Sport Hydro classes, are we not required to conceal the whole tuned pipe either by cowling it or placing it in the hull so it cant be seen..........I bought a Hallum Sport 40 and I think im going to have to bury the pipe in the boat to legally race it......!

Yes Bill, per NAMBA the pipe is "supposed" to be concealed by cowl or down in the hull.
That is one question asked by Mike H. Prior to starting my hull.
Send a pic of the inside of your new hull,

Thanks Rick, will do!! I think there's enough room in the radio box to section it off to tuck the pipe in the hull...it'll just take a little cuttin' n hackin'!!
Bill, Just completed my 2020 hallam sport 40.There is no room for the exhaust even with a exposed pipe.The bulkhead behind motor is way too tall.the header and pipe would be hanging up in the air. You will need to notch or cut down the bulkhead down to even put a header on.You will now have to notch and build a new radio box top.In namba your going to have to make more changes than i had to..I too was a little concerned about cutting up a brand new hull.. The additional work will make your hull one of a kind. The hull is a GREAT design other than that darn bulkhead!

Joe and Bill,

Here is what a couple of us here in Michigan did to lay the pipe down closer to the boat. You may be able to put a turbine tube cover over the pipe. A Phil Thomas Turbine cowl may work too with the notch in the bulkhead. The bulkhead is a 1/4" thick so notching won't change the hull stiffness.

Attachments

• Hallam Sport 40 -1.jpg
    Hallam Sport 40 -1.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Hallam Sport 40 -2.jpg
    Hallam Sport 40 -2.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 53
Bert not bad,I built mine from wood so it matches the deck.I also made a access pannel so i can use front of box.
JOE

Attachments

• SUNP0177.JPG
    SUNP0177.JPG
    752.9 KB · Views: 42
  • SUNP0180.JPG
    SUNP0180.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 42
  • SUNP0186.JPG
    SUNP0186.JPG
    747.6 KB · Views: 40
Joe,

Nice paint job!!! Like the name !!!

Bet you could put the turbine part of a Phil Thomas cowl over the tune pipe and be NAMBA legal.

Thanks Bert, I work a a car dealer and use their paint booth.The sikkens company clear really shines. Im sure bill will get some ideas! Im hoping we can meet up again, always a pleasure to race with you in 1/8 scale.This is my first sport 40 after 25yrs of rc boating and wanted something different or odd. These boats are REALLY cool. JOE

Latest posts

Back