my very first

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lay26

Supporting Member
well guys as the topic says i recently got my hand on a dumas circus circus. there is some finishing to do but i'm almost there. my question is, what do you guys who have 8 scale boats use for rudders and stuffing tubes. any other help is greatly apprieciated. for example motor mount, and driver figures.

All my 1/8 scale hulls have Speedmaster rudders. I also use Speedmaster mounts unless I make my own. Speedmaster struts too. B)

I have to agree with Don..Speedmaster makes some fine prod...I'am lucky enough to have a son that makes 90% of all our hardware...But I still have speedmaster stuff on some of my Scales...

Oh yea Blazer R.C. Boat Works make a nice scale Driver...I get mine from my local Hobby Store... There located at 10421 1/2 S. Cicero Ave. Oak Land. IL 60453.....

which one of the speedmaster 60 hardware works best? is the one that is 1 1/8 preffered better to the 1 5/8? this is the distance the rudder is off the transom, forgive me for these seemly newbie questions, but when it comes to scale boats... that what i am ;)

I too am in the prosess of building my first 1/8 scale. Don, you gave the part number for the rudder you prefer, I was wandering if you could also give the number for the speedmaster strut that you use.

Bob

Hey Lay,

The SpeedMaster hardware is great stuff, had it on my scale I just sold. I think Roy Munoz said that there's Tidewater hardware on my Phil Thomas hull and I have Octura on my Troy McIntyre hull.

If you could convince Roy's son Peter to make your hardware that's the way to go. Unfortunately, at the races yesterday he was telling several people that were asking him to make them hardware "no dice".

Also, if you have about a year to wait you can get some hardware from Dick Casparian at Thunderboat Reproductions...LOL

Bob Howard said:
I too am in the prosess of building my first 1/8 scale. Don, you gave the part number for the rudder you prefer, I was wandering if you could also give the number for the speedmaster strut that you use.
Bob
Speedmaster VM-4. I run 1/4" to 3/16" stepdown flexshafts in all my scales. Since switching to 1/4" years ago I havce not broken a single shaft. I also do not & will not run square drive. I know everyone has their preferences but for me the conventional collet arrangement is simple, straightforward & trouble free. :)

don why use the step down shaft? is it that the best props for scale boats are 3/16 dia. i thought that u scaleguys use 1/4" all the way? let me know

Lay26 said:
don why use the step down shaft? is it that the best props for scale boats are 3/16 dia. i thought that u scaleguys use 1/4" all the way? let me know
All the good scale props are generally 3/16". B)

Rodney,

I believe the rudder on the boat you showed me was a speedmaster unit. The strut is definately a Tidewater unit. Got one on my scale exactly like it.

Chris

Back