My Rigger has the hops

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

Ok I know my boat isn't Nitro but its still a "Stick Racer". Anyway I am running a 25" rigger and have tried props from a X632 to a X642 all with the same problems. My rigger hops bad in th turns and even a bit in the straights. I found that if I use a lower pitch prop it stops the problem but I still have the angle the drive up a bit to lift the front end of the boat up. This works fine until there is a bit of wind and then I have a kite on my hands. I tried adjusting the cg further back but that doesn't seem to help. I am thinking about leaving the pos angle on the strut that I have now and maybe dropping that strut depth a bit to get the back end up just a little bit. I have tried back cutting the props and bending the tips a little but still no help. Any idea's would be great.

I've had the same issue come up before. Without knowing more about the boat here are a couple things to try. Set your rudder to about 3 degrees negative angle. This will hold your transom up in the turns and reduce some of the chopping action. If you see some improvement, add a little more neg angle.

Ray, if you can, move some weight back a little as your CG may be too far forward.

Ray, if you can, move some weight back a little as your CG may be too far forward.

ray can you show picture of your hull , and maybe we can see what your problem could be. if you said ou put a smaller diameter prop on and it didn't hop as bad , i would raise the strut and put 0 degree angle on the strut, then you may have to adjust the angle of attack on the front sponsons.

Set the strut neutral and find a prop the boat likes. Also make sure that the prop blades all have the same pitch. Sounds like you just have not found the right prop for your hull. If you have a good prop guy have them look at the ride. I haven't seen any riggers work with X props worth a darn.

There are a few things to look at that may have already been mentioned, but forgive me if I overlooked them.

Bad Prop

Bottom of Rudder is flat or rudder is kicked back

Too much strut angle

If you have rears there is too much angle on them.

Just as a guess.

Needs rears,

CG to far forward (honking great lipo up there)

prop to much lift , or setup lacks power to keep the prop lifted.

Fixed front AOA.

its a matrix, and i cant help yet , i havent run mine, to many projects on the go , to much on at work , yada yada

i am watching with intrest , in your vids raydee the first setup seemed to be alot smoother than the 4s vid . or am i just seeing things?

you did comment about a bent turn fin , but straitining it didnt help ?

on my 21 sgx , certian props make it hop bad, change props and it goes away ...?

have you tried any other brand prop than occtura ones?

does the hop get worse as you open it up ?? or is it the same all the way thru the throttle.?

just thinking aloud here :

when you built it did you add a mm of toe in on the front sponsons?if it has no toe in then it will bounce thru the corners.

looking at my kit i beefed up the transom, is it transom flex that translates to a hopped ride ? if the strut is flexing it wont ride flat ...

shoot a short close up vid get it up on you tube .

The answer will be found pretty quick.

Jase

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I know my boat isn't Nitro but its still a "Stick Racer". Anyway I am running a 25" rigger and have tried props from a X632 to a X642 all with the same problems. My rigger hops bad in th turns and even a bit in the straights. I found that if I use a lower pitch prop it stops the problem but I still have the angle the drive up a bit to lift the front end of the boat up. This works fine until there is a bit of wind and then I have a kite on my hands. I tried adjusting the cg further back but that doesn't seem to help. I am thinking about leaving the pos angle on the strut that I have now and maybe dropping that strut depth a bit to get the back end up just a little bit. I have tried back cutting the props and bending the tips a little but still no help. Any idea's would be great.
Suggest that you look at the setup information that I developed at: http://rcboat.com/setup.htm and http://rcboat.com/setup2.htm

These should get you set up very well.

Marty Davis

Suggest that you look at the setup information that I developed at: http://rcboat.com/setup.htm and http://rcboat.com/setup2.htm

These should get you set up very well.

Marty Davis
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. SO far I have tried moving the cg with no help and a lot of strut adjusting. I bought the hull second hand and the Sponson angle isn't adjustable. From my experience too much lift is the major problem. If I use a high pitch prop the hop is really bad. I tried 17 series props and they were the worst. A Y536 works good if I adjust the prop angle so the front end is up keeping the back end lower in the water. I think that is Neg angle...prop side up?? ANyway I find that a m440 prop seems to work the best hop wise with just a tad bit of neg prop angle. I think a smaller diameter higher pitch prop would def make the boat faster but I can't stand the hopping. Here is the prop's I have tried and if anyone has a suggestion that would be great. x440, x632, x637-fastest prop, Y535, Y536, 1735-worst one.

Just as a guess.Needs rears,

CG to far forward (honking great lipo up there)

prop to much lift , or setup lacks power to keep the prop lifted.

Fixed front AOA.

its a matrix, and i cant help yet , i havent run mine, to many projects on the go , to much on at work , yada yada

i am watching with intrest , in your vids raydee the first setup seemed to be alot smoother than the 4s vid . or am i just seeing things?

you did comment about a bent turn fin , but straitining it didnt help ?

on my 21 sgx , certian props make it hop bad, change props and it goes away ...?

have you tried any other brand prop than occtura ones?

does the hop get worse as you open it up ?? or is it the same all the way thru the throttle.?

just thinking aloud here :

when you built it did you add a mm of toe in on the front sponsons?if it has no toe in then it will bounce thru the corners.

looking at my kit i beefed up the transom, is it transom flex that translates to a hopped ride ? if the strut is flexing it wont ride flat ...

shoot a short close up vid get it up on you tube .

The answer will be found pretty quick.

Jase
Jase, I have been waiting to see what you come up with since you have the same hull. Hurry up mate!

just a guess... try moving weight forward.... i know most people say move weight back..... but it's a theory i have cause it is an electric boat.

also try a 14 series prop

Yesterday I ended up moving my strut way up and leveling the strut which seemed to help a lot. The boat still hopped but not as bad as it did in the past. I then added just a slight amount of neg strut angle to get the front end up a bit and that helped even more but it resulted in a wild ride. My 25" rigger well in the mid 50's did a nasty cartwheel resulting in a cracked sponson where the turn fin mounts. I think the turn fin I am using is just a bit to large for this hull and puts a lot of stress on the sponson. I also have a long stand-off bracket that I am sure could be shorter. Do any of you guys have pics of your riggers turn fins and mounting styles? I don't want to rip up my sponsons every time I have a small incident.

What do you guys think about trying a 3 bladed prop on the rigger. I am thinking if one blade is always in the water then there is less of a chance that the ass end can drop and cause the boat to hop. I know the 3 bladers work real nice on my gas riggers.

Tom I was going to order a new set of sponsons for this rigger and found out that the company that made the hull is no longer making them. I may end up buying one of your FF hulls, I just have to rethink how I am going to fit my batts in one of your tubs and still make the CG work out. Can you tell me the length and width of your tubs for the 21 and 45 size riggers?

I really dont recommend my designs for electric use.....
I am not familiar with electrics and the props that they run but I run and have run hydros for about 25 years, 20's to twins. If it is hopping only in the turns and stays hooked up int the straight away it sounds like the turn fin maybe planting the right front sponson TOO much and lighting the transome and getting the prop too high and it is riding up on the tips and hopping. I would work with the position of the turn fin. Moving it back towards the transom maybe the answer.

Another option is to put a small amount of weight in the "bait box"if it has one to keep the prop in the water.

One other suggestion is to put a "TINY" amount of CUP in the LEADING edge of the prop. A little goes a long way. It will suck the back of the boat down and keep the prop in the water and stop the hopping. It will also load the motor more. Just a few thoughts. Good luck, Gary

Since you have tried just about everything, there is the possibility that the front sponsons are not wide enough to support the hull properly. Narrow fronts will cause the problem, but I have not seen the boat. How wide are they anyway?

Since you have tried just about everything, there is the possibility that the front sponsons are not wide enough to support the hull properly. Narrow fronts will cause the problem, but I have not seen the boat. How wide are they anyway?
John I will try to take some measurements and post some pics of my setup. I really believe that it has to be my setup because this hull is tried and true in the Electric community. The ONLY thing is I don't think they had the motors and battery power that we have now. Maybe I am just overpowering the hull. It doesn't matter where I put my strut, the ass end of the boat is completely out of the water. I may end up going to a lower cell count and see if that is the actual problem. If that is the case for sure then I am moving to a bigger hull.

I dont think you are overpowering the hull. in my kit is said on 24 "c" cells it should run in the 70mph zone.

but i did get a matrix ultimate. :huh: its got riders on the front end and a few different things ..

did you say they arent building them any more..??

Jason

I dont think you are overpowering the hull. in my kit is said on 24 "c" cells it should run in the 70mph zone.but i did get a matrix ultimate. :huh: its got riders on the front end and a few different things ..

did you say they arent building them any more..??

Jason
I have both kits, the ultimate and the regular. I would love to scale one up to 36" and put a big motor in it ;)

From what I was told Climate is no longer in business and kits are getting hard to find. I just bought another one for $55 but now I am thinking I might sell it.

Latest posts

Back