My new Picklefork Thunderboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He definitely does not need more pond time unless he wants to give me a hand.
default_biggrin.png
I will be there Saturday. Still have not run my skiff yet. I want to get it in the water as well.

Any of you guys with extra thunderboats want to sell one to kyler. He's ready to take the trophy home in thunderboat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan

I have a brand new one that needs a new home

Call me

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug I would love to join ya guys Saturday but got to work. Seems to me thunderboat should be close for a rule update to include 50s-60s-70s 80s style hull, can't stick with 50-70s hulls forever. Open it up to the 1980s style, it's 37 years ago, got to be classified as a classic, right? Lol
It's called the thunderboat class for a reason. That was the nickname given to the piston powered hydros from that era. If you want to run an 80s style turbine hull then perhaps consider building yourself a gas scale. The IMPBA thunderboat rules are just fine as they are as the class is highly successful.
default_smile.png

Well I finally have some video of the boat. Seems to handle pretty well while the CG is still not where it should be. I need to move the CG 2.5 in closer to the back of the sponsons this will help with getting the rear end out of the water. It also digs in around the corners and I suspect that is because the CG is not quite right.

I should have looked at this more when I was building the boat. I really need to move the motor another 2.5 in forward but I will have to redo the engine rails as well.

I will get this boat race ready very soon.

https://youtu.be/4ZT4kuaNcAY

Ray try adding weight to the front before you move the engine use a wet rag do this for testing and may be the turn fine is causing the sponsons to dig

Gary thanks for the response. I actually ordered some sticky weights to do exactly that. Before I move the engines rails I plan on testing weight in the front. Never thought of using a wet rag before. I will actually try that in the future.

Thanks,

Keith

Doug I would love to join ya guys Saturday but got to work. Seems to me thunderboat should be close for a rule update to include 50s-60s-70s 80s style hull, can't stick with 50-70s hulls forever. Open it up to the 1980s style, it's 37 years ago, got to be classified as a classic, right? Lol
It's called the thunderboat class for a reason. That was the nickname given to the piston powered hydros from that era. If you want to run an 80s style turbine hull then perhaps consider building yourself a gas scale. The IMPBA thunderboat rules are just fine as they are as the class is highly successful.
default_smile.png
Don I agree with ya buddy, thunderboat is a great class. Just gets old hearing this boat is legal here but not there etc. lol

Just my opinion, select few boats you can run anymore to be competitive.

No piston boats in the 80's ??

There is still a piston boat in 2017 and team Centurion Racing is prototyping a new piston engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were new piston boats being built throughout the 80s, the last two being the 8803 and 8806 hulls for Ed Cooper Sr and the Miss Madison team respectively. None of the hulls built during the 80s would be legal in T-boat due to the picklefork rules. Just an FYI, the last actual unlimited boat that would be legal for the T-boat class would be the the 6708 hull with the Miss Bahia U-80 paint job from 1987. It started out as the Parco O-Ring Miss and was the last competitively raced round nosed boat. Before clicking on the post switch, I figured I'd better look at the 7817 Tempus as well. I know it ran as the Pepsi Americas Choice, with Mitch Evans driving, in 1987, but I also found it to not be legal due to the picklefork depth being beyond 10% of the overall hull length, effectively taking it out of consideration in IMPBA as well as NAMBA

Latest posts

Back