motor to power Dumas windy airboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andris Golts

lm searching for information to make a decision on what size and what make of motor to install on the Dumas Windy airboat after being talked outoff trying to install a .12 size buggy motor . The windy is rated for .09- .12 aircraft motors i would prefer a motor that has bearings as opposed to a bushed unit and to also get the best posible speed out of this hull if anyone has had experience with the windy info would be appreciated.

I ran and raced airboats for years. The Windy was one of the "beginner" boats that new guys would show up with.

Don’t worry about an engine with bearings or super high RPM. It won't make the boat any faster.

The hull is what determines the top speed, not the horsepower you slap on it.

A decent OS, Enya, or similar .10 engine with a good 7/6 or 8/4 prop will give you decent speed.

The Windy will simply flop over or spin if you try to overpower or over prop it.

A finer pitch prop will give you better acceleration from a stop but will lack a bit of top end.

We designed a SAW drag airboat almost 20 years ago that would get up well over 80 MPH on a .40 engine. Wouldn’t turn worth a crap, but man was it fast in a straight line.

Perhaps it would be a good new kit for us to come out with. There seems to be an interest.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Hey Propjockey,

How did your air boat turn out? I have a sport .40 hull sitting around, and wanted to know if it was worth turning into a air boat like you did. I guess I worry that it wouldn't work because this type of hull relys on a prop to lift the transom of the boat. Was this a problem for you? My boat is a Dumas Vanlines U-71. It looks like the Pay N' Pack Hydro, but it sized for a .40 .

Thanks Dale P.

Dale, if you decide to do that I have a .46LA OS engine brand new.

2 of the little fins on cooling head are broken off, they are about 1/4 inch long only.

35 bucks its yours.

Shiped in USA.

Tom

Looking back at my hull I don't think a .46 would be strong enough to push it. It's pretty heavy and would need a .60 to .65. I might just finish it as a regular boat.

However, I still want an air boat! Aqua Craft makes a RTR air boat and sells just the hull for $99.00. I wanted to get the .46 FX for it, but your asking price is too good to pass up! I just want the boat for alittle fun, so the cheaper the better!

Send me your address and I will mail you a money order. Two questions though, is it blue or silver, and does it have a muffler? Oh and what happened to the head! :p

Thanks Dale P.

[email protected]

Here's one i just finished with "a little help" from my stepson...

It's got a .049 engine and really screams... got the motor to run about 2 min 30 sec... tiny gas tank, but it moves!!!!!!!!!

Shnick :D

Hey Propjockey,
How did your air boat turn out?
<_<

The first runs looked good, but it would get stupid at anything over half throttle. Couldn't keep it straight. I tried wet rudders, air rudders and both at the same time...no dice. I don't think a tunnel hull is the optimum shape for an air boat.

BTW...I see airboat hulls without engines on eBay all the time. Usually go pretty cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a neat looking little airboat there shnick. Reminds me of my first rc boat, the li'l swamp buggy by dumas, circa 1983. no throttles, just turn and burn! ;) thanks for the nostalgia, I might do one just like yours with my kids :) the hull builds like one simple wide and squared sponson. hmmmm, with construction that quick...... combat anyone? hehehe :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of my first rc boat, the li'l swamp buggy by dumas, circa 1983.
Thats exactly what i did, took a photo and designed - er, i mean my stepson designed it... smart kid... went off a photo and not much else...

his does well in combat with rocks... lol

Shnick :D

The first runs looked good, but it would get stupid at anything over half throttle. Couldn't keep it straight. I tried wet rudders, air rudders and both at the same time...no dice. I don't think a tunnel hull is the optimum shape for an air boat.

I was afraid of that. Glad I asked before I tried it.

PJ, I have seen the air boat hulls on E-Bay too, but after shipping they arn't too good of a deal. I'm still watching, but unless it's new, or a really good deal, I'm going to buy a new one. My local hobby store has just the hull in stock so getting it will be easy.

Thanks for the help, Dale P.

Back