ML Boatworks GSX380 Sport 40 38" prototype build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSX380N-CenterCover_zpsgoqor2sn.jpg

pretty easy to puzzle together.. worked on it just a little last night.. just getting things all in position. Have any of you guys building a nitro version figured out where to put fuel tanks? With the 5 in rails the space between the rails and the outer wall is very limited..

what have you guys decided to do?
I haven't had time to look too closely at it, since on vacation. But I will once I get back.

We are talking about collaborating on gsx style hull for the 21 size. Mike has one mostly done. Hoping to work together and get some super features for the nitro hull along with mikes great input on the FE side. I think this is getting fun again

Anthony,

I would put the fuel tank on the left side between the engine rail and outer wall stringer of the center section. I may mount my motor through the bottom of the boat again. The added left side weight will help with prop torque carrying the left sponson at the end of the straight away.

Have fun building,

Bert Dygert

Anthony,I would put the fuel tank on the left side between the engine rail and outer wall stringer of the center section. I may mount my motor through the bottom of the boat again. The added left side weight will help with prop torque carrying the left sponson at the end of the straight away.Have fun building,Bert Dygert[/quote
Bert,

What is the motor mount you use to mount through the bottom?

Thanks,

Dan

Anthony,

I would put the fuel tank on the left side between the engine rail and outer wall stringer of the center section. I may mount my motor through the bottom of the boat again. The added left side weight will help with prop torque carrying the left sponson at the end of the straight away.

Have fun building,

Bert Dygert
Did you notice how narrow that section is? I wonder if there will be enough room to get enough volume in that spot alone.

I would put the tank behind the engine, that way its slightly behind the CoG, and as the race progresses, your CoG will get slightly more favorable. This is how the GSX480 has been setup, and its ultra stable. This hull is ultra stable as well. CoG being off slightly is not an issue with it.

that is harder than one may expect,.. with the pipe packed tight to the hull to stay under the cowl, drive shaft and rudder linkage going through.. maybe to the rear and to one side..opposite of the rudder linkage. I think that I will not go with the saddle tanks this time.. hopefully one tank and on small hopper..

Great instructions for the beginner boater for their first build!! That is great info even for old timers. You take wooden boat building to new levels with your kits and information!!

Thanks for great products and service

Brad

Thanks Brad,

The Nitro cowling plug arrived yesterday. I am going to shoot it with Duratec, sand, buff, Freecote, then the mold will be made. Give me a week on that stuff guys, then I will be able to start layups for the Nitro orders. I probably will just incorporate this cowl into both the nitro and FE kits as it looks REALLY sweet. I will then use the current cowl style for the 31" nitro and FE versions i just finished drawing up
default_smile.png

Dan,

I design my own mount to go through the bottom. Picture also shows where I have the battery pack located.

See Below:

Regards,

Bert Dygert

Sport 40 Engine Mount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back